Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kasz216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

A) Do yourself  a favor look up "Duty of Care".  In particular, California.  You will see why Sony can't sue for this.  Not only would Sony lose, but they would look exremely bad doing it.

The biggest loss would be "the feasability of alternate conduct".  Since there was no way to unlock the features outside of this, there would be no "feasability of alternate conduct", and in general other alternate conduct issues.

Also, sony would have to definitivly prove they were harmed.  Which you can't, because most studies tend to show that even piracy has no discernable effect on the industry.

They'd have to prove without a shadow of a doubt it was done for immoral reasons. Likely a loss since most college proffesors and the like are on Hotz side and more then willing to talk about it, and all anyone has to believe is that HE thought it was the right thing to do.

They would have to prove that punishing him will prevent future harm. (tough when you can't find past harm.)

Also, that they would have to prove he could of done it safer.  Which you really can't argue with hacking because he doesn't have completel knowledge of the subject.

Prove that reasonable people wouldn't do the same in his place... again with over half the gaming community behind him, most academics and most tech people... not going to do.

So no... he can't be sued for that, nor can most if not all people be sued for something someone else does, without very very very specific guidelines being followed.  In general it is a VERY specific crime, otherwise everybody would get sued for it.

B) You can, it has nothing to do with Gehot though.

C) No, he can't.

D) No, i've actually corrected quite literally your mistaken comments.

California has developed a complex balancing test consisting of multiple factors which must be carefully weighed against one another to determine whether a duty of care exists in a negligence action. The underlying facts are universalized and analyzed in the larger context of general public policy.[5] The original factors as stated in 1968 were as follows:

• the foreseeability of harm to the injured party;
  • the degree of certainty he or she suffered injury;
  • the closeness of the connection between the defendant’s conduct and the injury suffered;
  • the moral blame attached to the defendant’s conduct;
  • the policy of preventing future harm;
  • the extent of the burden to the defendant and the consequences to the community of imposing a duty of care with resulting liability for breach;
  • and the availability, cost, and prevalence of insurance for the risk involved.[6]

A 1997 case added to this:

• the social utility of the defendant's conduct from which the injury arose.[7]

As far as i have read the

Exactly.  They basically can't prove any of those.

It's good your finally starting to understand.

One pirated game is enough to hit almost all those bullets. All the efforts such as the removal of other OS etc, was to prevent piracy. bypassing the security in the software is pretty much opening a pandora box.

Limewire for example was taken off the grid for pirating music, and movies. I think the same should apply but this was a NY case I believe. Anyways I'm going back to Persona 3 Portable. Catch'ya punks later.

No it's not?  Considering research generally shows piracy doesn't hurt the industry... they would lose that pretty hard... and that's not even the trickier issues, such as moral blame which is pretty hard to asses when he's trying to unlock things legally that sony is locking out.

Furthermore, all this needs to be proved under the "reasonable man" arguement.  What would a "reasonable man" do in this situation.

Would a resonable man, looking for the outcome he was, do what he did?  Well yeah.

i'm allergic to bullshit.

http://www.gamecritics.com/videogame-piracy-and-the-pc-gaming-industry

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/215976/the-cost-of-piracy/

*cough* psp *cough*

heres a lovely snipit

While many hackers crack devices for the sheer enjoyment of the achievement-demonstrating their technical prowess or extending the capabilities of a game device-many of their followers do so for less noble reasons. It's no secret that the appetite for pirated games is widespread, and it's an issue that has sent the industry reeling. The Entertainment Software Association estimates that in 2007, global piracy cost the U.S. entertainment software industry more than $3 billion, and this doesn't even include losses from Internet piracy. Not only has piracy had a negative affect on game developers trying to make money from their hard work, but it's also impacted their ability to innovate and create new games and business models while eroding their control over their intellectual property.

Also this kids not going to listen so i dont know why im bothering.

Yeah, uh... I said scientific studies... not "Lets go on a torrent site find downloads and multiply by $60."  If you look at actual economic studies that try and factually find any damages from piracy... they can't find them.

http://www.osnews.com/story/24376/Piracy_Increases_Anime_DVD_Sales_Study_Concludes

http://www.undergroundthecomic.com/2010/10/pictures-help-us-learn/

As for the PSP.  PSP hardware sales were up dramtically due to piracy and jailbreaking.  So you gain the misconception that software artificially low, but the truth is, hardware is artificially high.

Without jailbreaking on PSP, PSP would have sold far less.

My Quote is sourced from the ESA these guys

http://www.theesa.com/

i think they know more about gaming piracy than ancdotal evidence from dvd sales. Even one of think links says this

Piracy hurts the content industry. This has been the common line of thought in the piracy and copyright debate for years now, and even though study after study highlight that this is simply not the case - or at least, not as clear-cut a case 

So they are not referring to all piracy just this instance saying hey maybe not all piracy is harmful. Mine show it is.

So, your trusting an Entertainment lobbying group...

over scientific studies conducted by goverment agencies.

Do you know the ESA's methods for studying the effects of piracy?  It ain't scientific.

It's called "Lets see how many downloads something has, then multiply times $60 bucks.

Also, no, the common economic belief about software piracy is... "It causes no negative of positive effect.".

Or at least that's the belief among... people who study economics... aka economists.

I would suggest reading a book or two about software priacy and the actual effect it has on stuff.  People who think it has a heavy negative effet are the same people who think gamestop are killing the Industry, when the truth is, a healthy used market INCREASES new sales.

Corporate Lobbyists like the ESA say both hurt new software sales and produce studies anyone who's taken a single research class can point out the faults of... because they know they can use that poltical clout to get concessions... to do things like limit the amount of times you can install software and find ways to force gamestop to pay the companies for the games they sell used.

I'll take the opinions and studies of unbiased college studies, and biased (towards companies) but can't lie government studies over studies done by people in the ESA and other lobbying groups, who don't even release their studies for peer review!

You are basically saying "I trust them, because they told me so, and showed me no proof.  While I don't believe people who's studies are in the public sector and are willing to show me all the numbers.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

You were the one who brought it up first?  Also, there aren't other ways to get your info.  You need to download the custom firmware.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3935259

This is the first mention of it by you.

And i cant hack into where the info is stored and get it? I can find out where its stored go there and use prehaps use a usb/floppy/cd and get the info off the servers? A sony admin cant see the info on his compy where the info is being sent to and i dont know hell write it down. Also like i originaly said through the follies of others. There are other ways, unlikely sure but that doesnt mean they cant be done.

Which would have zero to do with anything firmware related.  Now you want to prosecute him for things that could happen, that haven't?  What is this Minority Report?

Well, actually no.  In Minority Report they actually prosecuted the people guilty of future crimes... not the people tangentially related to possible future crimes.

No he should be proscuted for what he is guilty of...

Once again you are dodging what the point. You said there is no other way to get account infromation, which is false.

Er... what?   How do you figure?  Your saying "This could happen" without any proof it could happen, or if it could happen that it would even have anything to do with Geohot.

Like, seriously, what are you even talking about. 

If someone did hack in to steal that info, they'd more likely then not be using a PC and not a PS3 anyway.

Seriously someone cant lose their info from any of those ways, i dont have to source thats its possible. Everybody  knows its possible and again if you read my stuff i am just showing you your wrong. You said there is only one way to have your account info stolen which is false just because you cant use your imagination or look it up doesnt just make it impossible.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

You were the one who brought it up first?  Also, there aren't other ways to get your info.  You need to download the custom firmware.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3935259

This is the first mention of it by you.

And i cant hack into where the info is stored and get it? I can find out where its stored go there and use prehaps use a usb/floppy/cd and get the info off the servers? A sony admin cant see the info on his compy where the info is being sent to and i dont know hell write it down. Also like i originaly said through the follies of others. There are other ways, unlikely sure but that doesnt mean they cant be done.

Which would have zero to do with anything firmware related.  Now you want to prosecute him for things that could happen, that haven't?  What is this Minority Report?

Well, actually no.  In Minority Report they actually prosecuted the people guilty of future crimes... not the people tangentially related to possible future crimes.

No he should be proscuted for what he is guilty of...

Once again you are dodging what the point. You said there is no other way to get account infromation, which is false.

Er... what?   How do you figure?  Your saying "This could happen" without any proof it could happen, or if it could happen that it would even have anything to do with Geohot.

Like, seriously, what are you even talking about. 

If someone did hack in to steal that info, they'd more likely then not be using a PC and not a PS3 anyway.

Seriously someone cant lose their info from any of those ways, i dont have to source thats its possible. Everybody  knows its possible and again if you read my stuff i am just showing you your wrong. You said there is only one way to have your account info stolen which is false just because you cant use your imagination or look it up doesnt just make it impossible.

No, like I seriously don't understand your point here... what is the point you are trying to make.  How does ANY of this have to do with Geohot?

We were talking about the ways people could lose their information... due to Geohot right?  Which would be, downloading illegal firmware that somebody else made... and that's it.

As for hacking into PSN and stealing info... that has nothing to do with Geohot, and if it ever did happen... would be done via computer.  I mean, could someone who works at Sony just look, steal a bunch of credit card  info and email it to all his friends?

Yes.  I don't see what that has to do with anything?

Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kasz216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

A) Do yourself  a favor look up "Duty of Care".  In particular, California.  You will see why Sony can't sue for this.  Not only would Sony lose, but they would look exremely bad doing it.

The biggest loss would be "the feasability of alternate conduct".  Since there was no way to unlock the features outside of this, there would be no "feasability of alternate conduct", and in general other alternate conduct issues.

Also, sony would have to definitivly prove they were harmed.  Which you can't, because most studies tend to show that even piracy has no discernable effect on the industry.

They'd have to prove without a shadow of a doubt it was done for immoral reasons. Likely a loss since most college proffesors and the like are on Hotz side and more then willing to talk about it, and all anyone has to believe is that HE thought it was the right thing to do.

They would have to prove that punishing him will prevent future harm. (tough when you can't find past harm.)

Also, that they would have to prove he could of done it safer.  Which you really can't argue with hacking because he doesn't have completel knowledge of the subject.

Prove that reasonable people wouldn't do the same in his place... again with over half the gaming community behind him, most academics and most tech people... not going to do.

So no... he can't be sued for that, nor can most if not all people be sued for something someone else does, without very very very specific guidelines being followed.  In general it is a VERY specific crime, otherwise everybody would get sued for it.

B) You can, it has nothing to do with Gehot though.

C) No, he can't.

D) No, i've actually corrected quite literally your mistaken comments.

California has developed a complex balancing test consisting of multiple factors which must be carefully weighed against one another to determine whether a duty of care exists in a negligence action. The underlying facts are universalized and analyzed in the larger context of general public policy.[5] The original factors as stated in 1968 were as follows:

• the foreseeability of harm to the injured party;
  • the degree of certainty he or she suffered injury;
  • the closeness of the connection between the defendant’s conduct and the injury suffered;
  • the moral blame attached to the defendant’s conduct;
  • the policy of preventing future harm;
  • the extent of the burden to the defendant and the consequences to the community of imposing a duty of care with resulting liability for breach;
  • and the availability, cost, and prevalence of insurance for the risk involved.[6]

A 1997 case added to this:

• the social utility of the defendant's conduct from which the injury arose.[7]

As far as i have read the

Exactly.  They basically can't prove any of those.

It's good your finally starting to understand.

One pirated game is enough to hit almost all those bullets. All the efforts such as the removal of other OS etc, was to prevent piracy. bypassing the security in the software is pretty much opening a pandora box.

Limewire for example was taken off the grid for pirating music, and movies. I think the same should apply but this was a NY case I believe. Anyways I'm going back to Persona 3 Portable. Catch'ya punks later.

No it's not?  Considering research generally shows piracy doesn't hurt the industry... they would lose that pretty hard... and that's not even the trickier issues, such as moral blame which is pretty hard to asses when he's trying to unlock things legally that sony is locking out.

Furthermore, all this needs to be proved under the "reasonable man" arguement.  What would a "reasonable man" do in this situation.

Would a resonable man, looking for the outcome he was, do what he did?  Well yeah.

i'm allergic to bullshit.

http://www.gamecritics.com/videogame-piracy-and-the-pc-gaming-industry

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/215976/the-cost-of-piracy/

*cough* psp *cough*

heres a lovely snipit

While many hackers crack devices for the sheer enjoyment of the achievement-demonstrating their technical prowess or extending the capabilities of a game device-many of their followers do so for less noble reasons. It's no secret that the appetite for pirated games is widespread, and it's an issue that has sent the industry reeling. The Entertainment Software Association estimates that in 2007, global piracy cost the U.S. entertainment software industry more than $3 billion, and this doesn't even include losses from Internet piracy. Not only has piracy had a negative affect on game developers trying to make money from their hard work, but it's also impacted their ability to innovate and create new games and business models while eroding their control over their intellectual property.

Also this kids not going to listen so i dont know why im bothering.

Yeah, uh... I said scientific studies... not "Lets go on a torrent site find downloads and multiply by $60."  If you look at actual economic studies that try and factually find any damages from piracy... they can't find them.

http://www.osnews.com/story/24376/Piracy_Increases_Anime_DVD_Sales_Study_Concludes

As for the PSP.  PSP hardware sales were up dramtically due to piracy and jailbreaking.  So you gain the misconception that software artificially low, but the truth is, hardware is artificially high.

My Quote is sourced from the ESA these guys

http://www.theesa.com/

i think they know more about gaming piracy than ancdotal evidence from dvd sales. Even one of think links says this

Piracy hurts the content industry. This has been the common line of thought in the piracy and copyright debate for years now, and even though study after study highlight that this is simply not the case - or at least, not as clear-cut a case 

So they are not referring to all piracy just this instance saying hey maybe not all piracy is harmful. Mine show it is.

Do you know the ESA's methods for studying the effects of piracy?  It ain't scientific.

It's called "Lets see how many downloads something has, then multiply times $60 bucks.

Also, no, the common economic belief about software piracy is... "It causes no negative of positive effect.".

Or at least that's the belief among... people who study economics... aka economists.

I would suggest reading a book or two about software priacy and the actual effect it has on stuff.  People who think it has a heavy negative effet are the same people who think gamestop are killing the Industry, when the truth is, a healthy used market INCREASES new sales.

Corporate Lobbyists like the ESA say both hurt new software sales and produce studies anyone who's taken a single research class can point out the faults of... because they know they can use that poltical clout to get concessions... to do things like limit the amount of times you can install software and find ways to force gamestop to pay the companies for the games they sell used.

You just added the 3rd link but if you read the links i posted you would see that it doesnt just include the esa it includes developers of games that know how many pirated versions of games people are using and tell you what it has done heres more for you too.

http://www.gamefront.com/thq-ceo-blames-piracy-for-close-of-titan-quest-developer/

Alan wake is another example its been pirated 1.1 million times according to one site and i dont think it has sold that much and i am sure it came very close on the chopping block. More for you.

Homebrew doesn't seem like a big problem on the DS, but Nintendo claims to have lost almost $975 million worldwide among its publishers and developers due to piracy in 2007. Who knew?

Also just because they represent micro sony and possibly ninty doesnt mean the problems are not real. Also show me where it says that they just go to torrent sites and multiply by 60$.

Coffee is for closers!

Kasz216 said:

http://musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/gao-report-on-the-economic-impact-of-piracy/

You can't prove in a court of law that there are actual negative effects... heck the research usually suggests otherwise.  The last time they did try and prove it on a global level the RIAA lost.

Your 3rd link is almost as bad as the first 2 and even states it doesnt exactly know the effect of piracy because its quite difficult to determine because their is several factors to take into account. Furthermore,  this snippet tells you it cannot be applied to the gaming industry.

The authors come to the conclusion that there is no “rule of thumb” that measures the effects of “piracy” on an industry or even on the economy as a whole, since “piracy” rates completely differ across different industries.

This too just shows that if its such a difficult thing to diagnose then why only 12 interviews, some interviewing of industry associates, and 3 relevant studies of p2p isnt nearly enough to give an accurate assement of piracy as a whole. so its mostly just refering to piracy in this small instance.

Although the GAO-report provides critical insights on the economic effects of “piracy”, the statements are not based on primary surveys and sources. Instead the authors conducted twelve structured expert interviews with government officials, academics, and other stakeholdern and also drew upon information gained from conversations with industry associations and other organizations outside the structured interview process. Moreover, the authors reviewed quantitative as well as qualitative studies published since 1999 of the impact of “piracy”. However, it should be noted that only three relevant studies on P2P music file sharing were included in the study

Coffee is for closers!

Around the Network

Holy crap, don't you people know how to edit messages?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:

Holy crap, don't you people know how to edit messages?

im sorry im trying, lol.

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

You just added the 3rd link but if you read the links i posted you would see that it doesnt just include the esa it includes developers of games that know how many pirated versions of games people are using and tell you what it has done heres more for you too.

http://www.gamefront.com/thq-ceo-blames-piracy-for-close-of-titan-quest-developer/

Alan wake is another example its been pirated 1.1 million times according to one site and i dont think it has sold that much and i am sure it came very close on the chopping block. More for you.

Homebrew doesn't seem like a big problem on the DS, but Nintendo claims to have lost almost $975 million worldwide among its publishers and developers due to piracy in 2007. Who knew?

Also just because they represent micro sony and possibly ninty doesnt mean the problems are not real. Also show me where it says that they just go to torrent sites and multiply by 60$.

Show me where it doesn't say that?  Oh right, you can't... because unlike every other study, they don't release any of their methods and simply say "this is the loss!"

Alan Wake being pirated 1.1 million doesn't mean... anything... at all.  Because you can't prove those were lost sales.  Which is exactly the point.  You have to study the actual effects, not just count "Oh this was pirated 1.1 million times so that's 66 million dollars lost!

Actual studies say... no measurable effect/can't tell.

Actual experts say... no measurable effect/can't tell.

Lobbying groups say... big effects, give our companies money and special rights.

So again, if you want to take the opinion of lobbying groups and interested parties over the opinion of non biased researchers... sure go ahead.

Don't present it as fact though... your no better then people who listen to their pastors over scientists.

Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

Show me where it doesn't say that?  Oh right, you can't... because unlike every other study, they don't release any of their methods and simply say "this is the loss!"

Alan Wake being pirated 1.1 million doesn't mean... anything... at all.  Because you can't prove those were lost sales.  Which is exactly the point.  You have to study the actual effects, not just count "Oh this was pirated 1.1 million times so that's 66 million dollars lost!

Lobbying groups say... big effects, give our companies money and special rights.

So again, if you want to take the opinion of lobbying groups and interested parties over the opinion of non biased researchers... sure go ahead.

Don't present it as fact though... your no better then people who listen to their pastors over scientists.

I think it goes both way.

You can't prove they were lost sales.

You can't prove they weren't either....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

I think it goes both way.

You can't prove they were lost sales.

You can't prove they weren't either....

And yet, the scientific proof is on "not lost sales."

Until the research goes the other way...

I'm going with the way the research is leaning.

It's not stonecold proof... it can't be proved without a doubt. (few things in science and life actually can)

However, it's the best proof we have and the way proof is leaning.

It's like asking someone about the origin of the universe.

There is one scientific leading theory... and if you believe in another theory... it's probably personal prefrence.

To say it's definitly harming the industry is a ludicrius opinion.

To say unbiased studies mostly show it isn't harming the industry, or at best nobody can tell...  is a fact.

I wouldn't say it isn't positivly hurting the industry yet, but the research leans that way, and you definitly couldn't prove it in a court of law, with research leaning that way....

and it's on the accusor to prove the accused is guilty.   You could sue someone for piracy, because that's a crime, but to sue someone for second hand enabling piracy, you need to prove it's harmful.  Which you can't meet the burden of proof of in a courtroom... since well, the opposite is the most widely agreed opon.