By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s War on Makers, Hackers, and Innovators

Hurray for Massive Pissing Contests.  Can't we just agree that both sides made some mistakes and wait to see what happens? Screaming across the digital landscape doesn't do much, what with each post solidify one's position to their one side.

Hopfully we can all also agree that not all Hackers are Evil and have been pretty damn important to Gaming. Read up on Ken and Roberta Williams.

Around the Network

It would help if you guys reduce quote bubbles.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

KylieDog said:

"Sony is suing makers, hackers, and tinkers for jailbreaking of the PS3 to play homebrew games"

What crap.  Homebrew games?  Like anyone cares.

In 1 corner from Vgchartz....we have!!!! The cynic!

You go DamnyouAll

Most people on these boards wouldnt spot an erosion of their liberties if it walked up introduced itself and then punched them in the face.

I really worry about the future of America when I see the majority its next generation failing to even grasp the simplest of concepts regarding personal freedoms.

As a man who constantly extolls the virtues of "free" software and the GPL and has donated to the EFF on more than one occasion some of the ignorant posts on this forum are truly disappointing...

JamaicameCRAZY said:

A) ok it was a defective product which knew before they released.

B) Can you not figure out how to fix your ps3 yourself still? Also i have seen shops advertising they can fix ps3s.

C) Would we be having this discussion if geo hadnt hacked through linux? No sony would still have it here. Only reason they are saying this is to not have to pay all the people crying out i paid for linux when likely most of them didnt care. I am not saying its ok its dirty tactics i just telling you why. Also tell me what have they removed pre geo? what have they removed after? Nothing because they dont want to remove features and risk people leaving the system. They wouldnt do anything you are saying because it would be suicide.

D) Hacking is present in almost all forms of competivie multiplayer. Ex. Flying in Cod4. All the hacks coming in from geo in mw2. These kill these games. Also i hear lots of horror stories about pc so i hope it doesnt.

A) Agreed.

B) No.   You can't.  Exactly the point.  If sony decides to remove anymore features... and you try to fix it yourself... you get screwed.

C) Yes we would, Linux was removed from the slims before the hack.  People were going to hack the slims for linux regardless.

D) Geo didn't hcak MW2.  I don't know why you think he did.  As for horror stories about PC.  You should actually play PC sometime, I run into a hacker... maybe once every few months... and I play HEAVY hours a week.  (40 )

E) I'd say based on the fact that every other website/company that collects data feels they need to tell you very specifically in it's own little box in which you can opt in or out of.  Heck, Nielson feels the need to pay you for this kind of info.  It's kinda creepy that Sony is keeping track of every movie you watch on your PS3, every song you put on it etc.

Around the Network
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

Hey, if that's what the story states now.  Ars Technica previously said it was completely unencrypted.

So, Sony can't be sued for neglect either... I don't see your point though... if they weren't encrypting it, even if you installed CFW, sony could be cpmsidered at fault.

The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

As flaws go, the risks here are not substantial. There is no generalized ability for hackers to grab credit cards from PSN users; only those using specially devised custom firmwares would be at risk. Essentially the same risk could be faced by anyone downloading a pirated version of Windows: extra certificates could be added to those normally trusted, along with suitable DNS entries, to allow interception of any traffic destined for, say, amazon.com. In practice, the risk of either of these is slight, and in any case, trivially avoided: don't use custom firmware.

from ars

I'm guessing you didn't read the article you quoted there... or just stopped when you saw the part you agreed with rather then actually you know... care about the information.

Note how that article has {Update} in big bold letters... and how right below that it lists [Original Story].

I read the original story.

Aside from which,  I was right... and you were wrong, it's only an issue to those who dl the custom firmware.

You may want to read it though... and notice all the info sony is taking for you.  Also, you would be "sadly misinformed" less.

The original PDF posted by said anonymous hacker actually stated the same thing ars technica posted in their update...

Most people just read uncrypted and ignored the SSL comment and went ballistic..

This is how false rumors get spread out...

Basically all the original thing said is that if you install software whose source you don't know ( CFW in this case), the data you send is at risk. Big deal, it's not the discovery of the year, or even the decade...( install a trojan on your PC and then watch your credit card balance...)

And just to be clear, it's only a possible issue if you download a CFW that was specially designed with a malicious intent, not every CFW will be like that ( and to be fair, if you loose your credit card information after downloading a CFW, you kinda deserve it...)

It was a non-issue that got blown out of proportions by a few people not understanding the technical details...

A) I read the Ars Technica piece, which again, before updated said it was unencrypted.

B) I agree... that's exactly what I've been saying.  Why you keep trying to argue that point as if I was the one who disagrees with It I don't know.   I was tryint to tell Jamacian me crazy that only people with custom firmware can get their credit cards hacked.

People like me, who aren't ever going to use the custom firmware are fine.  Of course, my PS3 has only been online twice anyway... so I'd be fine anwyay.

I specifically was argueing that it WAS a non issue... while he was argueing thast it was one.

Damnyouall said:

With replies like these, I doubt that either of you has the ability to read the article in the short timespan it took you to post replies. Posting replies before reading (and understanding) the whole article = fail.

I read the article and do acknowledge the statements mentioning Sony's rude ethics to downplay hackers or pirates. But ultimately its Sony's prerogative to exercise measures for increasing the console's security howsoever.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

Hey, if that's what the story states now.  Ars Technica previously said it was completely unencrypted.

So, Sony can't be sued for neglect either... I don't see your point though... if they weren't encrypting it, even if you installed CFW, sony could be cpmsidered at fault.

The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

As flaws go, the risks here are not substantial. There is no generalized ability for hackers to grab credit cards from PSN users; only those using specially devised custom firmwares would be at risk. Essentially the same risk could be faced by anyone downloading a pirated version of Windows: extra certificates could be added to those normally trusted, along with suitable DNS entries, to allow interception of any traffic destined for, say, amazon.com. In practice, the risk of either of these is slight, and in any case, trivially avoided: don't use custom firmware.

from ars

I'm guessing you didn't read the article you quoted there... or just stopped when you saw the part you agreed with rather then actually you know... care about the information.

Note how that article has {Update} in big bold letters... and how right below that it lists [Original Story].

Aside from which,  I was right... and you were wrong, it's only an issue to those who dl the custom firmware.

You may want to read it though... and notice all the info sony is taking for you.  Also, you would be "sadly misinformed" less.

The original PDF posted by said anonymous hacker actually stated the same thing ars technica posted in their update...

Most people just read uncrypted and ignored the SSL comment and went ballistic..

Basically all the original thing said is that if you install software whose source you don't know ( CFW in this case), the data you send is at risk. Big deal, it's not the discovery of the year, or even the decade...( install a trojan on your PC and then watch your credit card balance...)

And just to be clear, it's only a possible issue if you download a CFW that was specially designed with a malicious intent, not every CFW will be like that ( and to be fair, if you loose your credit card information after downloading a CFW, you kinda deserve it...)

It was a non-issue that got blown out of proportions by a few people not understanding the technical details...

A) I read the Ars Technica piece, which again, before updated said it was unencrypted.

B) I agree... that's exactly what I've been saying.  Why you keep trying to argue that point as if I was the one who disagrees with It I don't know.   I was tryint to tell Jamacian me crazy that only people with custom firmware can get their credit cards hacked.

People like me, who aren't ever going to use the custom firmware are fine.  Of course, my PS3 has only been online twice anyway... so I'd be fine anwyay.

I specifically was argueing that it WAS a non issue... while he was argueing thast it was one.

The only thing i ever said was that there are other ways of getting your info i am sure, i never disagreed that it was one way to get info. Also if it wasnt an issue then why did you bring it up in the first place?

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Kasz216 said:

Got a source for that?  I've never seen it.

Aside from that... also have a source where sony says they'll continue providing other OS for anyone else that wants to currently set up a super computer.

So say, if I wanted to set one up right now I could do so with the Slims without having to hack them?

I can't find a source. I heard about it a couple weeks after the 3.21 update. It might not be true. Or it might just apply to Condor.

(and no, if the article was the same as how I remember then it was only for existing supercomputers)

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

from ars

The only thing i ever said was that there are other ways of getting your info i am sure, i never disagreed that it was one way to get info. Also if it wasnt an issue then why did you bring it up in the first place?

You were the one who brought it up first?  Also, there aren't other ways to get your info.  You need to download the custom firmware.