By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
GreyianStorm said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:

Where are the adjustments VGC? Guess they'll have to do it when the NPD numbers roll our in a few weeks.

No, you said NPD undertracks all consoles (because they don't include Walmart). Did you change your opinion?

No.. they do undertrack, but it's quite obvious the VGC overtracked on the PS3 for the U.S. market last week.  When the NPD comes out it will show this, just like it did in Jan. Supposely NPD makes an estimate on Wal-Mart and the other retailers it doesn't track and includes that into their totals. Don't know how true that is. I haven't had time to research it.

No, it's not.

That's your opinion. I'm sticking with mine.

NPD Figure for PS3 (Jan 2011): 267,000
VGChartz Figure for PS3, Americas (Jan 2011): 318,801
VGChartz Figure for PS3, US (Jan 2011): 318,801*87% = 277,357
So a variation in January of 3.9%, which is perfectly acceptable.

You've claimed VGChartz massively overtracked the PS3 in January and, as a result, believe it is overtracked in February also. But, it appears the tracking was almost perfect in January, so what is your reasoning for supposed overtracking this month?

PS3 US/America ratio is not 87%... for end of Dec 2010 is more like:

Wii - 85.5%
360 - 85.8%
PS3 - 84.9%

318,801 * 84.9% =  270,662

VGC on spot in January for PS3... so close numbers between NPD and VGC.

So you are right ;).

That's LT ratio of course... some months we had PS3 close to 70% because the sales outside US is growing up.

Around the Network
XanderZane said:
GreyianStorm said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:

Where are the adjustments VGC? Guess they'll have to do it when the NPD numbers roll our in a few weeks.

No, you said NPD undertracks all consoles (because they don't include Walmart). Did you change your opinion?

No.. they do undertrack, but it's quite obvious the VGC overtracked on the PS3 for the U.S. market last week.  When the NPD comes out it will show this, just like it did in Jan. Supposely NPD makes an estimate on Wal-Mart and the other retailers it doesn't track and includes that into their totals. Don't know how true that is. I haven't had time to research it.

No, it's not.

You've claimed VGChartz massively overtracked the PS3 in January and, as a result, believe it is overtracked in February also. But, it appears the tracking was almost perfect in January, so what is your reasoning for supposed overtracking this month?

Being off by 54,800 units is NOT PERFECT. Variation of 3.9% is not acceptable. I never said massively overtracked. I said they are overtracked, period. No system jumps 15% in sales during one of the slowest period with no valid explanation. Sure they had some coupon specials during the week, but that's not enough to push it that high. I'll just wait for the NPD numbers, like I said.

The 318,801 figure is for all of the Americas. The 277,357 is the US VGC figure (using the commonly accepted 87% multiplier).

3.9% variation is perfectly acceptable. NPD, like VGC, is not gospel. They both have margins of error of roughly 10%. This means that NPD's figure indicates that PS3 is between 241,000 and 293,000, while VGC puts PS3 at 250,000-304,000. As you can see, there is a large value in the middle where both NPD and VGC can be correct (250,000-293,000), which VGC sits in quite comfortably.

ethomaz said:
GreyianStorm said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:
pezus said:
XanderZane said:

No, it's not.

PS3 US/America ratio is not 87%... for end of Dec 2010 is more like:

Wii - 85.5%
360 - 85.8%
PS3 - 84.9%

318,801 * 84.9% =  270,662

VGC on spot in January for PS3... so close numbers between NPD and VGC.

So you are right ;).

That's LT ratio of course... some months we had PS3 close to 70% because the sales outside US is growing up.

I was aware it wasn't exactly 87% (I thought it was somewhere between 80% and 85%, but wasn't sure exactly), but I decided to apply 87% because it's used most often (I think it's the usual multiplier used by The Source in NPD threads), and it also gave the PS3 the highest number possible for US sales according to VGC. Even using the 87%, there was only 10k difference, so as you've shown with 84.9%, calling the PS3 overtracked looks like complete madness.

I'll wait.

'gaming till I'm gone'