By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart: System Launch Prices w/inflation

LordTheNightKnight said:
And Kwaad "forgot" to include a GC game in that total.

And you forgot to include that Kwaad "conveniently" forgot to include a GC game in that total.

Around the Network

I bought a wii because I expected the controllers to blow my mind. (they did for about a week, after that, I got my PS3 and that was the end of that)

The Wii is a horrible value like you just said. 130+40+70=240$

Buying everything, giveing profit to at least 3 or 4 people... You can buy the parts in a Wii for less than the Wii.

Case, Power supply, Graphics chip. 130$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110073
512mb Memory 27$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682060908
Processor - 33$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104305
HDD - 38$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822140118

228 $
That can do so much more than a Wii graphically.

And I'll 1up your free low budget game.
http://www.wildtangent.com/home.html
Many games for free/cheap.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

"The Wii is a horrible value like you just said. 130+40+70=240$"

No, that's what you said - see the quotes ("")?

And you still haven't answered how a console that retails for $250 but made of $170 worth of components is charging 5x what it's worth, nor have you answered why Nintendo is cheating consumers by making an $80 profit but Sony is being all nice and charitable to their consumers by making a $100 profit.

Hey, don't look at me... they are your numbers...

The only successful console more expensive than the PS3 at launch was the Atari 2600. And IMO that's not a valid comparison because in 1977 the Atari system was unique and there was no competitor whatsoever. The Wii on the other hand is really, really cheap. Considering that it doesn't require Memory Cards & has a pack-in game it's arguably the least expensive system ever launched. So yes SONY screwed the pooch designing their system out of the mass market price range. The mistake is completely analogous to Nintendo blowing it with the N64 by using carts. The PlayStation brand is going to lose this time around, the only interesting thing to see is whether there's enough interest in Sony's first party software to sustain the platform over the next few years. NOTE: This comparison lacks the INTELLIVISION & the 3DO.

This is an actual breakdown of the Wii's parts (just inside the main box).

Graphics chip: $29.60
CPU: $13.00
DRAM: $7.80
Optical disk drive: $31.00
Power supply: $11.30
Manufacturing cost: $19.50
Cost total: $158.30
Wholesale price: $195.99

This doesn't seem to add up, but flash memory, usb, and plug ports is part of the total. And this doesn't include controllers in the cost, nor Wii Sports. So enough with this crap. And your alternative parts ignores the casing and OS, kwaad. You're a pathetic liar. The Wii is a good value and you know it. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Actually that sounds about right. Controller ~ maybe 10-20 bucks and then Sports Game is "valued" at 50 bucks so that brings it up to around 250.

Also, when you buy these things like a million at a time, you might be able to get them at a discount, too  

Note: Value has nothing to do with cost for the average consumer.

Note 2: One of the key parts of the "Blue Ocean Strategy" is breaking the traditional cost:value relationship.

That is all.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

LordTheNightKnight said:

This doesn't seem to add up, but flash memory, usb, and plug ports is part of the total. And this doesn't include controllers in the cost, nor Wii Sports. So enough with this crap. And your alternative parts ignores the casing and OS, kwaad. You're a pathetic liar. The Wii is a good value and you know it. 

Just to add something to your point, Perrin Kaplin stated that the Wii was being sold at a price where they were "breaking even" which would add strength to what you have said ... Take the system, controller, Wii Sports, packaging and manuals and put them together and I wouldn't be too surprised to find that it cost (roughly) $250 ...

HappySqurriel said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Just to add something to your point, Perrin Kaplin stated that the Wii was being sold at a price where they were "breaking even" which would add strength to what you have said ... Take the system, controller, Wii Sports, packaging and manuals and put them together and I wouldn't be too surprised to find that it cost (roughly) $250 ...

You are wasting your breath. You are talking to people who think Sony can sell the PS3 for $300 and stay in business.

FishyJoe said:
HappySqurriel said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

You are wasting your breath. You are talking to people who think Sony can sell the PS3 for $300 and stay in business.

Sony could stay in business that way, just with a sizable dent in the corporation's profits.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs