By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart: System Launch Prices w/inflation

The analists claim the BluRay drive in the PS3 is worth 200$ (roughly) this was 5 months ago. If you read the specificatons on the drive, the fab costs are not much higher than a DVD drive. Only the new equipment to do it. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
It's funny to see people criticising Nintendo for having a healthy profit margin, when Sony has amassed most of its fortune from higher profit margins compared to its competitors.

If you notice I have a Samsung TV, and a Sony PS3.

Kwaad said:
FishyJoe said:
It's funny to see people criticising Nintendo for having a healthy profit margin, when Sony has amassed most of its fortune from higher profit margins compared to its competitors.

If you notice I have a Samsung TV, and a Sony PS3.

You are contradicting yourself. You are arguing that the PS3 is going to make money once they lower hardware costs. But Nintendo which has low hardware costs now is bad because making money on it. 

one interesting thing I've noticed is that while the PS3 is surrounded by failures, so is the Wii (7600, Gamecube, Dreamcast). It seems the "sweet spot" is in the middle with the PS, NES, Master Ssytem and PS2 =)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
one interesting thing I've noticed is that while the PS3 is surrounded by failures, so is the Wii (7600, Gamecube, Dreamcast). It seems the "sweet spot" is in the middle with the PS, NES, Master Ssytem and PS2 =)

huh???

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
vanguardian1 said:

Does it read gamecube-sized discs, kwaad? They had to modify an existing design, and from what I've read that took time and money.

Personally I would've preffered a top-load type disc drive, I think the Wii would last longer hardware-wise myself. :o

Yeah, slot loaders chew up CDs and DVDs. The PS3 can get away with it becuase of how durable BluRay is. (I havent found any scratches on my PS2 discs *yet* but I wont be suprised when I start getting them)
EDIT: I dont know if it reads mini-discs or not. There arent many, and the information on them is slim to none. I'm just saying, I dont think anything over 20$ is a legit number for a DVD drive. The BluRay drive on the PS3 only costs sony around 150$ now, I'd say in 4 years the drive on the PS3 will cost under 50$. (that might sound high, but DVD has been around for almost 8 years now)

The Wii has the first slot drive that accepts two disc sizes (to accomodate GC compatibility, so of course it accepts minidiscs). It's the loading mechanism that affects the price, not the reader, which is still a basic DVD one. If it was a CD drive, the mechanism would still add to the price.

And the PS3's blu-ray drive is only $125, and DVD has been around for over ten years, introduced in mid 1996.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

FishyJoe said:
omgwtfbbq said:

huh???

look at the chart in the first post... you know, what the thread was originally about? 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

A launch console should be MUCH faster than a last gen console. Becuase in 2012 when the next gen will come, the Wii will basically... Have graphics that look like... well... They do. VS. Stuff that looks like... The killzone 2005 trailer.

That is just graphically. As more advanced physics comes out, the Wii will have more trouble keeping up. As actually the PS2 and x-box, couldnt do the advanced physics for crap.

If the Wii had 300$ worth of hardware... I would love it's price. If the Wii had 150$ of hardware (like it does) and they sold it for 130$... that would be an amazing price! 

@Kwaad Yes I would love to by a Gallardo for 50k USD instead of 150k+ also...or just mayby we should be happy that companies actuly make a profit from their systems so that "SEGA" syndrom doesn't happen again? Have you ever thought of that if Sony or Microsoft can't turn a profit this gen, that gaming buisness is in deep shit. That could mean that we get a new "vidoe game crasch". I do like healty companies, it gives stability to the world ecnomy. Second, as Wii Sport seems to be a system seller, I really don't understand why the extra computer power should be important for Nintendo.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said:
@Kwaad Yes I would love to by a Gallardo for 50k USD instead of 150k+ also...or just mayby we should be happy that companies actuly make a profit from their systems so that "SEGA" syndrom doesn't happen again? Have you ever thought of that if Sony or Microsoft can't turn a profit this gen, that gaming buisness is in deep shit. That could mean that we get a new "vidoe game crasch". I do like healty companies, it gives stability to the world ecnomy. Second, as Wii Sport seems to be a system seller, I really don't understand why the extra computer power should be important for Nintendo.

It's only important to fanboys, when it favors their system. The same crap was spewed about the DS, and it amounted to nothing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs