By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: How long will it be before Call of Duty burns out?

Poll: How long will it be before Call of Duty burns out?

This year 35 18.42%

2012 (It will die along with everyone else) 28 14.74%

2013 50 26.32%

When Activision closes 8 4.21%

Never 25 13.16%

I just wanna see the results 43 22.63%

Total:189
radiantshadow92 said:
Conegamer said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Never. The Dev teams won't let it happen. 

If you went back...3 years, wouldn't you say the same about Guitar Hero?

OT: 2013, or when the next gen starts. I don't see it carrying over next gen, like so many things in the past 

Guitar hero sold with an instrument in the box EVERY single time. And music games are MUCH different than FPS games.

I wouldn't waste your time arguing with him personally.

OT: It won't die, might get smaller, and become a 5 - 10 million selling franchise. But it won't die.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
BHR-3 said:

probably after this yr with MW3 made by new devs that will go up against Battelfield 3 releasing this fall

as for when will acti. pulls the plug from it not anytime soon even if MW3 fails the series can easily be brought back to life next gen

This, Battlefield 3 is gonna be awesome. Unlike Medal of Honor, I can surely see it taking away sales from COD.

Plus, 2011 looks to have the best holiday lineup of games ever this gen:

• Gears of War 3
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Battlefield 3
  • Resistance 3
  • Elder Scrolls V
  • Batman Arkham Asylam
  • Twisted Metal
  • Rage
With so many awesome games coming out, I can't see gamers picking up COD8 to the point where it outsells Black Ops.

Best holiday lineup consisting of games that are ALL sequels, outside of Rage? A concern that happens for the videogame industry is when the next game in the series doesn't sell well as the last one in the series.

And I get back to FPS.  For the industry, sales are what counts.  What happens to the FPS genre if NOTHING matches the sales of Black Ops?  Call of Duty crashes and burns (see this thread) and nothing can beat it sales?  Anyone see ANY FPS beat Black Ops?  If not, and sales wane, then what?  Will doing World War I or the American Civil War suddenly reverse fortunes?  Or is there suddenly a game involving space marines that will?

Seece said:

OT: It won't die, might get smaller, and become a 5 - 10 million selling franchise. But it won't die.

I agree.

It's gotten far too big to die. It will remain a huge franchise for at least one more decade, but probably for much longer.

Slimebeast said:
Seece said:

I agree.

It's gotten far too big to die. It will remain a huge franchise for at least one more decade, but probably for much longer.

So, what exactly is Call of Duty going to bring to the table that will generate decent sales for it?  Do people really care to find out where Makarov is?

http://www.findmakarov.com/

If Call of Duty gets to be like Tony Hawk, why will people not just stick with the older version?  Black Ops brought a number of things back from before, like enhanced Zombies mode, bots, and more.

richardhutnik said:
Slimebeast said:
Seece said:

I agree.

So, what exactly is Call of Duty going to bring to the table that will generate decent sales for it?  Do people really care to find out where Makarov is?

http://www.findmakarov.com/

If Call of Duty gets to be like Tony Hawk, why will people not just stick with the older version?  Black Ops brought a number of things back from before, like enhanced Zombies mode, bots, and more.

I have no idea how they will evolve the game but with so much resources behind it, having such a huge following, I am sure they will keep being relevant to gamers.

And now that they closed Guitar Hero, most likely Activision realizes how milking and repeating itself can be fatal.

Around the Network

After the 9th game, I don't see what innovative ideas could be formed next.

Hopefully rather soon. The series has stagnated. They are essentially churning out the same game every single year and charging an extortionate price for it.

well mario the king of milking is running strong after all these years. COD might be able to do the same

Its the new CounterStrike and by the way have you seen how many people are still playing that?

Even as a retail product you can trace its heritage back to 2000 and it was going long before that the first version I remember was 0.7 I think you had to pick the guns up from the spawn.

Also what about Team Fortress Classic, actually thinking about it maybe only Valve is able to create games that never die.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.