By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: How long will it be before Call of Duty burns out?

Poll: How long will it be before Call of Duty burns out?

This year 35 18.42%

2012 (It will die along with everyone else) 28 14.74%

2013 50 26.32%

When Activision closes 8 4.21%

Never 25 13.16%

I just wanna see the results 43 22.63%

Total:189

This year? I don't think the next game in the COD franchise will be up to scratch with all the Infinity Ward crap that went on. I hope they prove me wrong though - I am sort of addicted to the Online Multiplayer.

Around the Network

If the series ever loses popularity then i think Activision will make a new IP exactly the same. and simply change the name.

the only game i can see that would affect COD's sales is GTA5. i think if Rockstar decided to release during the same time frame as COD, that would be the only title the mass consumer would choose over COD imo.

however i could be wrong, they're might be nothing that beats COD, even if they's a superior product, simply because of brand recognition.

Shadowfest3 said:

I am a huge fan of the COD series, however, my interest in the next installment has diminished greatly.  I think I might just be burnt out with the series myself.

I am. With nothing innovative in any of the games after 4 it feels like a copy/paste with updated weapons and graphics

BHR-3 said:

probably after this yr with MW3 made by new devs that will go up against Battelfield 3 releasing this fall

as for when will acti. pulls the plug from it not anytime soon even if MW3 fails the series can easily be brought back to life next gen

This, Battlefield 3 is gonna be awesome. Unlike Medal of Honor, I can surely see it taking away sales from COD.

Plus, 2011 looks to have the best holiday lineup of games ever this gen:

• Gears of War 3
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Battlefield 3
  • Resistance 3
  • Elder Scrolls V
  • Batman Arkham Asylam
  • Twisted Metal
  • Rage
With so many awesome games coming out, I can't see gamers picking up COD8 to the point where it outsells Black Ops.

gurglesletch said:
Shadowfest3 said:

I am a huge fan of the COD series, however, my interest in the next installment has diminished greatly.  I think I might just be burnt out with the series myself.

I am. With nothing innovative in any of the games after 4 it feels like a copy/paste with updated weapons and graphics

I certainly am burnt out of the single player it uses the same danm formula every time. As for online play I still think it brings fun that is rarely matched by any shooter.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
BHR-3 said:

probably after this yr with MW3 made by new devs that will go up against Battelfield 3 releasing this fall

as for when will acti. pulls the plug from it not anytime soon even if MW3 fails the series can easily be brought back to life next gen

This, Battlefield 3 is gonna be awesome. Unlike Medal of Honor, I can surely see it taking away sales from COD.

• Gears of War 3
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Battlefield 3
  • Resistance 3
  • Elder Scrolls V
  • Batman Arkham Asylam
  • Twisted Metal
  • Rage
With so many awesome games coming out, I can't see gamers picking up COD8 to the point where it outsells Black Ops.

I am with you on this one about the games being increadible still people though that Reach and Medal of hONOR WOULD HURT cod SALES  this year and it did not come true. COD probably has climaxed sale wise with BOps but I think its sales next year will easily beat each title you have mentioned.

The funny thing about the COD series is that it has now joined the ranks of sports games in the catgory of yearly games which no matter what, will probably sell very highly, and people will constantly buy them year after year. Even if sales dip due to the series getting stale (which I don't see atm, even though MW2 was plagued by noobtubes, commando etc, it did introduce pro perks, custom killstreaks, new games modes. Black Ops less so, but it did introduce wager matches and combat training to the series), the game will still sell millions.

It would literally take a disaster (either withing activision, or something economic) for COD to burn out within the next 5 years.

chocoloco said:
Jay520 said:
BHR-3 said:

• Gears of War 3
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Battlefield 3
  • Resistance 3
  • Elder Scrolls V
  • Batman Arkham Asylam
  • Twisted Metal
  • Rage

I am with you on this one about the games being increadible still people though that Reach and Medal of hONOR WOULD HURT cod SALES  this year and it did not come true. COD probably has climaxed sale wise with BOps but I think its sales next year will easily beat each title you have mentioned.

Yeah I know COD will beat all those, but I'm just saying that the amount of good games coming out this holiday should take away some sales from COD.

As for Reach and MOH not taking away sales from BLOPS. MOH sucked IMO. and Halo already had its fanbase when Blops came out. Reach didn't really grow a lot from Halo 3. I'm thinking Battlefield 3 gonna grow a lot more from its last iteration and take away sales from COD8 in the process.

Burngun said:

The funny thing about the COD series is that it has now joined the ranks of sports games in the catgory of yearly games which no matter what, will probably sell very highly, and people will constantly buy them year after year. Even if sales dip due to the series getting stale (which I don't see atm, even though MW2 was plagued by noobtubes, commando etc, it did introduce pro perks, custom killstreaks, new games modes. Black Ops less so, but it did introduce wager matches and combat training to the series), the game will still sell millions.

It would literally take a disaster (either withing activision, or something economic) for COD to burn out within the next 5 years.

Even the sports games have dwindled in popularity from their peak.COD might remain a yearly series for a long time, but there is little doubt it cannot get muh bigger.

Where is "already did" option