By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program

kitler53 said:

..but the firmware these hackers are modifying 

Technically, it's the Sony updater that modified the firmware. The hackers didn't touch one part of the firmware. They uploaded an update to the PS3, which modified the firmware itself. Played completely within the rules of the system programmed by Sony.

Around the Network
geddesmond2 said:
Zkuq said:
goforgold said:

yes, you are NOT suppose to do whatever you want with a product, however, that isn't why Sony is suing him (this is the part where you completely ignore everything I'm about to say) because Sony doesn't care, Sony could careless that you mod your system, what they do care about is releasing that mod to everyone else knowing full well what could happen. See intellectual property is something you "mah consumer rightz" people have to get familiar with. It's not up to you the consumer to decide what the hell a product should or should not do, you know who does however....the people who made the damn thing, and yes they have the RIGHT to do that, and if your mad a product is able to do what you want the the only RIGHT you have is to buy another product or better MAKE YOUR OWN!!!!!!!

I was just about to put this in a way that would certainly get me banned: you are so wrong about this. You've really bought all that corporate propaganda they've been feeding you. Guns aren't illegal because they can be used for crimes, and the same should go for software. If you use it for illegal purposes then that's a problem but until then, there's no problem: innocent until proven otherwise. It sucks, but no one seems to care about things like consumer rights of freedom of speech these days (and I'm not trying to say they're the same thing or necessarily even connected - I'm just saying that's two things no one seems to care about anymore).

geddesmond2 said:

Cheated out of money like say how Sony will be cheated out of money if hackers get there way with homebrew that runs pirated games??Oh what so because Sonys a bg corporation that employs thousands off people they don't have any rights??

Two wrongs doesn't necessarily make a right. In fact, innocent until proven otherwise and yet here Sony is treating everyone like a criminal.

Also, I'm perfectly fine with Sony banning custom firmware users from using PSN.

Then why do you back the people who are trying to find ways back onto PSN. People who even said they are willing to  get legitimat people banned if they find a way to use there consol IDs.

Those people are not being backed. This is something that Sony needs to take care of on the PSN side. Identifying users by their console does not work. Never has, never will.

geddesmond2 said:

Quit all that bullshit. Everyone who games on the PS3 bought the consol for the games. If people wern't stealing the companys software by pirating games and creating cheats to use online that fucks up there legitimate experiance then this wouldn't be a fucking problem. I've no problem with people doing whatever they want to do with there consols just as long as my experiance isn't ruined and I definitley think Sony wouldn't give too shits either if there games and the games of there third party support wasn't getting stolen. If Sony was this against homebrew that didn't involve pirated games then why did they include Linux with the PS3 in the first place which already allowed people to run homebrew.

The people who think its all about our rights are dam fucking fools. No matter who wins the case you's will all still be doing the exact same thing with your machine after the court case that yous are currently doing with it now. Geohot hacked the PS3 for 2 simple things. Recognition and glory. His name is now associated with the person who hacked the unhackable PS3. He doesn't give a fuck about any of your rights. He did what everyone else like him does when faced with trouble. Make up excuses to make himself look less guilty.

Now I'm finished with this subject. Currently as it stands the banhammer seems to be working right now and Developers and Sony are making there games more secure so its looking like my experiance won't be fucked with for awhile. Sony and Geohot can do what ever they like. Personally I hope Geohot looses this battle and it declares him bankrupt for the rest of his life. Not because he hacked the PS3 but because of the amount of eejits he has following him who thinks hes some rebel fighting for a great cause.

They can look at starving children on the telly that can't even hold there own heads up from malnutrition and ignore them but some rich kid hacker from the states needs money to fight a case and they find 50 dollars in there dam pockets?

do you honestly think that Sony took Geohot to court just to make him bankrupt? Really? You think they're willing to waste money on so many high priced lawyers to go after a kid? There is motive here. Stop living in a closed box and think for a moment.

Sony want control of consumer owned PS3s because it's cheaper to enforce security, even though it's been proven time and time again that client-side security opens the door for ID impersonation, which is exactly what is happening now.

Honestly, the ones who think that the PSN would become a wasteland because of hackers are the bigger fools in this picture.

MrBubbles said:
geddesmond2 said:

They can look at starving children on the telly that can't even hold there own heads up from malnutrition and ignore them but some rich kid hacker from the states needs money to fight a case and they find 50 dollars in there dam pockets?

most of your post is just inane gibberish, so i will only address this section. 

why the hell should i care that some women in africa cant keep her legs closed and gives birth to dozens of children that she knows she cant feed.   most people who cant feed their children wouldnt continue to have more of them.  if people stopped giving them free food perhaps they would realize they shouldnt just continue to have all these kids.  the more kids they have the more they get...just like all those people on welfare with so many kids, who get more money for each kid they have. 

Well god forbid the women who can't keep her legs closed when a man forcefully rapes her. I mean whats this world coming to when a women who has no rights in a country stricken by civil war and genocide isn't strong enough to fight off the person raping her. She should be so asshamed of herself. I mean the countries soldiers take most of the aid provided to there country. Curse that women for not standing up to them, they'd only shoot her dead for doing that. No courage at all I tell you. Her infant children deserve to suffer because of that.

I hope your reincarnated into one of those children in your next life whos only crime was being born in a war stricken Country.

They should hire GeoHot LOL

Around the Network
fordy said:
geddesmond2 said:

Quit all that bullshit. Everyone who games on the PS3 bought the consol for the games. If people wern't stealing the companys software by pirating games and creating cheats to use online that fucks up there legitimate experiance then this wouldn't be a fucking problem. I've no problem with people doing whatever they want to do with there consols just as long as my experiance isn't ruined and I definitley think Sony wouldn't give too shits either if there games and the games of there third party support wasn't getting stolen. If Sony was this against homebrew that didn't involve pirated games then why did they include Linux with the PS3 in the first place which already allowed people to run homebrew.

The people who think its all about our rights are dam fucking fools. No matter who wins the case you's will all still be doing the exact same thing with your machine after the court case that yous are currently doing with it now. Geohot hacked the PS3 for 2 simple things. Recognition and glory. His name is now associated with the person who hacked the unhackable PS3. He doesn't give a fuck about any of your rights. He did what everyone else like him does when faced with trouble. Make up excuses to make himself look less guilty.

Now I'm finished with this subject. Currently as it stands the banhammer seems to be working right now and Developers and Sony are making there games more secure so its looking like my experiance won't be fucked with for awhile. Sony and Geohot can do what ever they like. Personally I hope Geohot looses this battle and it declares him bankrupt for the rest of his life. Not because he hacked the PS3 but because of the amount of eejits he has following him who thinks hes some rebel fighting for a great cause.

do you honestly think that Sony took Geohot to court just to make him bankrupt? Really? You think they're willing to waste money on so many high priced lawyers to go after a kid? There is motive here. Stop living in a closed box and think for a moment.

Sony want control of consumer owned PS3s because it's cheaper to enforce security, even though it's been proven time and time again that client-side security opens the door for ID impersonation, which is exactly what is happening now.

Honestly, the ones who think that the PSN would become a wasteland because of hackers are the bigger fools in this picture.

Well actually your thinking in a closed box. First of all I never said Sony wants to bankrupt him. I said I hope Sony wins and the outcome is him becoming banrupt. I'm not a lawyer but I've seen a lot of courtcases where the losers are sued for the legal costs of the courtcase especially ones involving this many lawyers. I'm sure Sonys team of 5 lawyers costs them a lot of money

Secondly if ID impersonations are happening now then I hope they get yours and get you banned for life. I wonder if you'd support Geohot and the other hackers then because these are the exact reasons why I won't support these hackers . They are fucking with legitimate peoples experiance.

Thirdly so its all conspiracy theorys now. I suppose the illuminati are the ones pulling Sonys strings right LMAO. Its been confirmed everyone, first Sony controlls the consumers PS3s and then the Implanted microchips come next. Total domination ROFL.

And number 4. Ya know the exploits were only available for a few weeks and MW2 and a few other games were unplayable. God only knows the state it would be in now if Sony didn't take action when they did and only time will tell how bad its going to get if Sony looses the case.

geddesmond2 said:
MrBubbles said:
geddesmond2 said:

why the hell should i care that some women in africa cant keep her legs closed and gives birth to dozens of children that she knows she cant feed.   most people who cant feed their children wouldnt continue to have more of them.  if people stopped giving them free food perhaps they would realize they shouldnt just continue to have all these kids.  the more kids they have the more they get...just like all those people on welfare with so many kids, who get more money for each kid they have. 

Well god forbid the women who can't keep her legs closed when a man forcefully rapes her. I mean whats this world coming to when a women who has no rights in a country stricken by civil war and genocide isn't strong enough to fight off the person raping her. She should be so asshamed of herself. I mean the countries soldiers take most of the aid provided to there country. Curse that women for not standing up to them, they'd only shoot her dead for doing that. No courage at all I tell you. Her infant children deserve to suffer because of that.

I hope your reincarnated into one of those children in your next life whos only crime was being born in a war stricken Country.

everyone in africa is the product of rape?  youre a racist. 

and if those countries stopped buying up weapons they could buy their own food.  another reason they shouldnt be given any aid.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
geddesmond2 said:
MrBubbles said:
geddesmond2 said:

everyone in africa is the product of rape?  youre a racist. 

and if those countries stopped buying up weapons they could buy their own food.  another reason they shouldnt be given any aid.

LMAO Shit someone should hire you to help out over there. I mean you have all the answers to the problems  Genious and no not everyone is the result of rape but its a hugh problem in some parts like Somalia

Way to derail lol.

Though speaking of Somalia, it IS about pirates after all!

geddesmond2 said:
fordy said:
geddesmond2 said:

Well actually your thinking in a closed box. First of all I never said Sony wants to bankrupt him. I said I hope Sony wins and the outcome is him becoming banrupt. I'm not a lawyer but I've seen a lot of courtcases where the losers are sued for the legal costs of the courtcase especially ones involving this many lawyers. I'm sure Sonys team of 5 lawyers costs them a lot of money

Secondly if ID impersonations are happening now then I hope they get yours and get you banned for life. I wonder if you'd support Geohot and the other hackers then because these are the exact reasons why I won't support these hackers . They are fucking with legitimate peoples experiance.

Thirdly so its all conspiracy theorys now. I suppose the illuminati are the ones pulling Sonys strings right LMAO. Its been confirmed everyone, first Sony controlls the consumers PS3s and then the Implanted microchips come next. Total domination ROFL.

And number 4. Ya know the exploits were only available for a few weeks and MW2 and a few other games were unplayable. God only knows the state it would be in now if Sony didn't take action when they did and only time will tell how bad its going to get if Sony looses the case.

Quit your FUD spreading. Hackers who provide the tools arent responsible. The ones who actually use it that way are the bad ones.

If I had a stolen ID that was taken and banned, I would blame Sony, for enforcing the ban on such stupid grounds as the console ID. Once again, client-side security DOES NOT WORK. It's open to vulnerabilities such as this. they need to work on enforcing a transparent client side and a tougher gate between client (PS3) and server (PSN).

You can mock all you want, but from Sony's track record, you can see that their main goal IS control. Ever see what happened to Lik-sang? Bleem? What about the DRM rootkits that make Sony control the way you listen to your music? In fact, Bleem was found INNOCENT, and Sony muscled them out by continuous appeals until they went broke. This is how corporate muscle works, and people like you are bending over taking the big, smelly corporate dick.