By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program

goforgold said:
Kasz216 said:
goforgold said:
Zkuq said:
goforgold said:

noooooooo you'll just ONLY be able to use a product the way it was meant to be used. So when Sony releases a product for a certain purpose it will only ever be used for that purpose. SO terrible XD

Do you really believe that bullshit? That you're not allowed to do what you want to do with the product you own?

yes, you are NOT suppose to do whatever you want with a product, however, that isn't why Sony is suing him (this is the part where you completely ignore everything I'm about to say) because Sony doesn't care, Sony could careless that you mod your system, what they do care about is releasing that mod to everyone else knowing full well what could happen. See intellectual property is something you "mah consumer rightz" people have to get familiar with. It's not up to you the consumer to decide what the hell a product should or should not do, you know who does however....the people who made the damn thing, and yes they have the RIGHT to do that, and if your mad a product is able to do what you want the the only RIGHT you have is to buy another product or better MAKE YOUR OWN!!!!!!!

Then why does the lawsuit include sueing him for modding his console.  Also, it's TOTALLY up to a product for a consumer to make a product do what it does.

A comanys say at what their product does ends when they sell it.

Leonardo Divinchi could sell me a painting, and if I want to add unicorns to that painting it's my right to.

On topic though... what a waste of money... sony should take a hint from Microsoft and Nintendo, people who have been in the sofjtware buisness longer.

moddifying Sony's software which he DID isn't right, but that is no where near the back bone of the lawsuit.

and they painting anaolgy is a moot point as the painting only purpose is to sit on a wall, ps3 is host to a network of millions to which software BELONGS to Sony.

Painting on a frame that is protected as Human Historic and Cultural Belonging is illegal you know?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
fordy said:
Jay520 said:
fordy said:
geddesmond2 said:
fordy said:
geddesmond2 said:

Quit all that bullshit. Everyone who games on the PS3 bought the consol for the games. If people wern't stealing the companys software by pirating games and creating cheats to use online that fucks up there legitimate experiance then this wouldn't be a fucking problem. I've no problem with people doing whatever they want to do with there consols just as long as my experiance isn't ruined and I definitley think Sony wouldn't give too shits either if there games and the games of there third party support wasn't getting stolen. If Sony was this against homebrew that didn't involve pirated games then why did they include Linux with the PS3 in the first place which already allowed people to run homebrew.

The people who think its all about our rights are dam fucking fools. No matter who wins the case you's will all still be doing the exact same thing with your machine after the court case that yous are currently doing with it now. Geohot hacked the PS3 for 2 simple things. Recognition and glory. His name is now associated with the person who hacked the unhackable PS3. He doesn't give a fuck about any of your rights. He did what everyone else like him does when faced with trouble. Make up excuses to make himself look less guilty.

Now I'm finished with this subject. Currently as it stands the banhammer seems to be working right now and Developers and Sony are making there games more secure so its looking like my experiance won't be fucked with for awhile. Sony and Geohot can do what ever they like. Personally I hope Geohot looses this battle and it declares him bankrupt for the rest of his life. Not because he hacked the PS3 but because of the amount of eejits he has following him who thinks hes some rebel fighting for a great cause.

They can look at starving children on the telly that can't even hold there own heads up from malnutrition and ignore them but some rich kid hacker from the states needs money to fight a case and they find 50 dollars in there dam pockets?

do you honestly think that Sony took Geohot to court just to make him bankrupt? Really? You think they're willing to waste money on so many high priced lawyers to go after a kid? There is motive here. Stop living in a closed box and think for a moment.

Sony want control of consumer owned PS3s because it's cheaper to enforce security, even though it's been proven time and time again that client-side security opens the door for ID impersonation, which is exactly what is happening now.

Honestly, the ones who think that the PSN would become a wasteland because of hackers are the bigger fools in this picture.

Well actually your thinking in a closed box. First of all I never said Sony wants to bankrupt him. I said I hope Sony wins and the outcome is him becoming banrupt. I'm not a lawyer but I've seen a lot of courtcases where the losers are sued for the legal costs of the courtcase especially ones involving this many lawyers. I'm sure Sonys team of 5 lawyers costs them a lot of money

Secondly if ID impersonations are happening now then I hope they get yours and get you banned for life. I wonder if you'd support Geohot and the other hackers then because these are the exact reasons why I won't support these hackers . They are fucking with legitimate peoples experiance.

Thirdly so its all conspiracy theorys now. I suppose the illuminati are the ones pulling Sonys strings right LMAO. Its been confirmed everyone, first Sony controlls the consumers PS3s and then the Implanted microchips come next. Total domination ROFL.

And number 4. Ya know the exploits were only available for a few weeks and MW2 and a few other games were unplayable. God only knows the state it would be in now if Sony didn't take action when they did and only time will tell how bad its going to get if Sony looses the case.

Quit your FUD spreading. Hackers who provide the tools arent responsible. The ones who actually use it that way are the bad ones.

Yes they are, by putting the tools on the internet, you are knowingly enabling EVERYBODY (including pirates) to use those tools for whatever purpose they may have. They knew that there were people waiting to use those tools for illegal purposes, but they did it anyway. 

The way I see it, those Keys or whatever is delicate information that shouldn't be distributed to EVERYONE.  

Emulators are ruled perfectly legal, yet they can be USED legally or illegally. There has not been one company that has successfully sued the creators of an emulator, and this will have just about as much chance in a court of law as a lawsuit against an emulator creator. They are both tools, they can both promote piracy, they both inhibit a "the way you use it is your responsibility" clause.

For the 100th time, that sensitive information that you're talking about? That is an INTEGER, a binary number. Binary numbers cannot be copyrighted. They cannot be protected under law from being used. If anything, they key is a tool, which like emulators, could be used for good or bad purposes. And before you say it, no, the difference is that Sony owns the number, because they don't. If anything, emulators would be more illegal because they could impose upon certain microchip architectures, yet they are still legal. This reasoning wouldn't stand a chance in hell.

By your logic as computer language in the end is binary, piracy doesn't exit... and DVDs and CDs aren't pirated because they are binary logic read by a hardware you own.

Incorrect. There is a difference between binary data and binary instruction opcodes. Instructions are copyright under the DMCA. Binary data is not.

What DOES protect movies however is that it is a form of artwork, and artwork CAN be copyrighted, not the binary data. It's like saying you can copyright the combination of atoms that make up the product. That doesn't make sense.

It's funny how Sony goes all ape shit with the piracy thing , and they totally should but I think they are going at it the wrong way because the end user that isn't a hardcore Sony Fanboy might see what they are doing right now as an attack at the end-user.

While Nintendo just doesnt give a dam xD

I mean the 3DS is already hacked ... ?

MrBubbles said:
geddesmond2 said:
MrBubbles said:

well at least they appear to be targeting the proper people this time, instead of people who only wish to use their own products in a legal manner of their choosing.  its not any of sonys business if people want to have sexual relations with their systems in the privacy of their own homes(providing they arent doing it via web cam during a game so everyone else has to see ;) ).

True that. I mean if I take the keys to your car and give it to some kids to take for a joyride, I'm not guilty in that situation whatsoever

actually its like giving people keys to their own cars...that they already own...because they bought them...with money...that they earned...

No, it's not like that at all. You know what it's actually like?

Giving people access to their car computers. The ones that regulate speed ceilings, injector timings, fuel flow, etc, and also if it could give you free gas.

That's what it's like.

WIzarDE said:

It's funny how Sony goes all ape shit with the piracy thing , and they totally should but I think they are going at it the wrong way because the end user that isn't a hardcore Sony Fanboy might see what they are doing right now as an attack at the end-user.

While Nintendo just doesnt give a dam xD

I mean the 3DS is already hacked ... ?

It's not that Nintendo "doesn't give a damn", they do, but they aren't going all out with it.

For info on the 3DS hack (which isn't a real hack) see the "3DS already hacked! one flashcart works" thread for ore info

Here is an article for proof

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/255298/news/3ds-fixes-nintendos-piracy-problem-thq/

Microsoft on the other hand,  I don't know aboutthem.

Around the Network

There is a lot to be learned from the music industry. Music don't sell like it use to yet everyone and his dog owns a mp3 player.

Why? Piracy.

There is a big difference between PC software piracy and console software piracy where the copyright owner is concerned.

MS or Adobe, for example can cause a business serious problems if caught using illegal software. The truth is far more people use illegal copies of windows than legal ones but millions of companies and businesses rather not take that chance. So although MS "looses" $billions from pirated software there are more than enough big businesses and honest individuals to keep them wealthy.

Console gaming has no big business users to sue, if console pirating gets out of hand I don't see developers or manufacturers chasing after millions of broke ass ten year old kids for compensation... or broke ass grown ups for that matter.

As for those of you arguing about when you own a product you should be able to do what you want, check this out.

I own plenty of CDs and an MP3 player, yet in the UK making a private copy of copyrighted media without the copyright owner's consent is illegal: this includes ripping music from a CD to a computer or digital music player...I mean, how stupid is this?

Good for Sony! i and im sure im one of many hate what hackers do and how they get things such as free games, demos, unlock all trophies, complete games without doing anything and the list goes on! Plus its all illegal! I hope this new sony privacy movement actually works.

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

justinian said:

There is a lot to be learned from the music industry. Music don't sell like it use to yet everyone and his dog owns a mp3 player.

Why? Piracy.

There is a big difference between PC software piracy and console software piracy where the copyright owner is concerned.

MS or Adobe, for example can cause a business serious problems if caught using illegal software. The truth is far more people use illegal copies of windows than legal ones but millions of companies and businesses rather not take that chance. So although MS "looses" $billions from pirated software there are more than enough big businesses and honest individuals to keep them wealthy.

Console gaming has no big business users to sue, if console pirating gets out of hand I don't see developers or manufacturers chasing after millions of broke ass ten year old kids for compensation... or broke ass grown ups for that matter.

As for those of you arguing about when you own a product you should be able to do what you want, check this out.

I own plenty of CDs and an MP3 player, yet in the UK making a private copy of copyrighted media without the copyright owner's consent is illegal: this includes ripping music from a CD to a computer or digital music player...I mean, how stupid is this?

Ahhh but you're talking about 2 different things here. Business piracy is a serious crime, no messing. It's not only a civil matter. The reason that it's taken so seriously is because that pirated software is being used by a business as part of it's business to make money. In effect it's almost tantamount to selling illegal copies of software - jail time for that. Can only speak for attitudes in the UK, but here nobody gives a rats arse if you've copied the latest softwarefilmcddownloaded an mp3. Everyone does it if it's available to them. I'm sure there's a few people here who would disagree with me on "copying games" from readings others posts it seems nobody here does it and thinks that hell would be an appropriate place for a person participating in it...Strangely enough these same people all seem to think it's fine to pirate others forms of media, like the odd filmtune.

Oh just seen you are prolly from the UK then you'll know the above is pretty true...nobody really cares do they in thee "real" world. In fact I'd go the opposite way and say that people lap it up when someone turns up at the pub with a dj box full of the latest films and that - more so because their copies lol!

People on vgchartz will pipe on that game piracy is different because game developers could be put out of business. I say BS. It's the publisher that takes the fall. They just don't have a clue how business really works. End of the day, worst case sceario is that not as many games will be released...And let's be honest here, that;s a fucking selfish attitude to have, one that most here claim isn't the case...but we all know what it boils down to.

If 90% rates games got released every month in copious amounts in exchange for some poor african starving children dying who they'd never met...I think we all know which one they'd choose. :) Can see through their attitudes like glass. Funny thing is, they wholeheartedly believe in their crusade...without quite realising what their crusading for/ Good games. What a way to live a life. :) and there's nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the real world of not being a self righteous git. A World that doesn't exist on vgchartz ;) (Yep me to, this post reeks of self righteousness if taken the wrong way and if I really wanted to could easily pull it apart myself)

Oops rant sorry, too much smoke...not even directed at you my hands just took over....and it's a common rant so that just makes me another cardboard cut out person pointing the finger. It's prolly just me :)