By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't western 3rd party developers support Nintendosystems?

Carl2291 said:
pariz said:

Because they underestimate Wii's audience in every possible way.

That's it.

They don't underestimate the Wii audience, they just cater to what the majority of the Wii audience buys.

Wait. Did you even understand what the topic of the thread was about?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

Yeah. I should have worded it differently though...

Epic Games for example, wont make a party/dance/sports game like that for the Wii.

Carl2291 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Yeah. I should have worded it differently though...

Epic Games for example, wont make a party/dance/sports game like that for the Wii.

You really worded that wrong, because Epic is doing the opposite of catering to what that audience buys.

BTW, Epic has stupid reasons not to support those systems, like putting down the 3DS without even seeing it. So at least with those guys we have an answer, even though one that isn't really flattering.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Doobie_wop said:
Declan said:
Doobie_wop said:

When Nintendo supports third parties, then maybe third parties will consider supporting Nintendo consoles. If Nintendo aren't willing to make the effort, then I don't see why third parties should try when they already have two or three viable platforms to put their games on, especially when they all have have higher attacth rates than the Wii. When someone does take the risk, then they don't meet their expectations and pull out. It's so easy to see and it makes more sense than making up weird fanboy conspiracy theories.

Not sure I agree with you there.  When you say "taking the risk", do you mean pulling out all the stops to produce a costly AAA title?  Because if so, I can only think of two third party examples on the Wii (Monster Hunter 3 and Epic Mickey), and they both sold very well.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Red Steel 2, de Blob, A boy and his blob, Madworld, Dawn of Discovery, Little King's Story, NBA Jam, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and many more are just a few examples of Third Party effort on the Wii. They are all good games, none of them sold relatively well and judging from the sales of these games and the ones from a few recent JRPG's (The Last Story/Xenoblade), I can definently see how third parties got the impression that most third pary efforts don't sell on the Wii. 

Epic Mickey takes the brand name of one of the most well known characters in the world and puts him into a game, while Monster Hunter is the third in a pretty popular franchise and they both did sell pretty well (as they should), but despite being serious efforts, neither of them set the charts on fire. Goldeneye is based on one of the greatest and most well known shooters in history and it only sold a million units, despite being given a significant amount of effort and advertising. 

The Wii audience is still a mystery, while the HD audience isn't and that's why third parties are willing to go all out on three platforms (PC, 360 and PS3) and that's because they've already proven themselves when it comes to making sure that great games sell well. 

Clearly the developers of these games did put a lot of effort into them, but that doesn't equate to publishers 'taking a gamble' on the Wii - of those titles, only COD comes close to counting as AAA, but even then, it's not really, since the marketing for it was entirely directed at HD owners.  It doesn't matter how good a game is - if it gets a stealth release (as many of the ones you mentioned did), then it's going to get ignored by the vast majority of a system's userbase.  Look at the big successes on the HD consoles - did any of them become such successes with the kind of marketing that, say, Little King's Story got?  I don't think so.

I think your point about GoldenEye (which I apologise for forgetting about - that did get AAA treatment) is a better one, but as you point out, that has sold over a million to an audiuence supposedly uninterested in core games and despite being released in direct competition with its stablemate Black Ops.  It's also still selling reasonably well.

Didn't a really strict censorship in past Nintendo system also have effect on N64 ?

As for modern times it's quite simple:

Gamecube - both Xbox/PC porting and PS2 userbase were more atractive.

As for Wii - I don't know why people have problem understanding it but due to Wii technical obscurity and diffrent controls if you want to make good Wii game you have to wholy adjust it to the machine. So the potential return of investment needs to be higher than making X360/PS3/PC game.

Also the whole lower development cost isn't as big issue as people make it when marketing budgets can sometimes be bigger than actual development.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

I think that the different control schemes are an issue too. The Wii Controller is totally different and you can't simply port games from PS3 to Wii... but you can simply port from Wii to PS3 (Aragorns Quest, Dead Space Extraction, etc.).

Nintendo could get into its own market by making exclusive control schemes. But at the same time they locked themselves out of easy ports. The combination of Graphics and Control scheme just make things difficult. You can say that the Wii as a single platform has a large userbase. But if you combine PS3, X360 and PC the situation just look different. That may be the reason why so many games are developped for those platforms. All 3 can offer a very similar experience and together they just offer the largest market, while the Wii is some market of its own due to the exclusive Controller and the different Graphics.

Another problem may be that a typical Wii Owner is expecting something different than a typical PS3 or 360 owner. Since Motion Control seems to be a strong selling Point of the Wii you have a separated user base. I bought the Wii mainly for retro gaming (i like the virtual console) and some Nintendo games... but I have a great problem with mandatory motion controls. So people like me, owning PS3 and Wii, would always take the PS3 Version over the Wii version because of optional motion gaming. In my opinion motion gaming is just its own genre... You just can't include it in every games and it doesn't add to every game but can instead lessen your experience considerably... But there are User who never had a console without motion controls before who could find games without motion controls simply lacking.

I think that Nintendo locked itself in its own market giving it some sort of monopoly over its competitors and they had a big success with this decision. But at the same time they locked themselves out of the "normal market" because the Wii is too different from the PS3, X360 and the PC.

"if you want to make good Wii game you have to wholy adjust it to the machine"

No, too many ports to the Wii actually working show that isn't the case. That notion is actually just another excuse. Some games are fully made for the system, but games like Mario Kart and NSMBWii use no motion controls or those that could work with buttons, and they are hits anyway.

"The Wii Controller is totally different and you can't simply port games from PS3 to Wii... but you can simply port from Wii to PS3 (Aragorns Quest, Dead Space Extraction, etc.)."

Bull. In case you had forgotten, there is a controller that works fine with those games.

LordTheNightKnight said:

"if you want to make good Wii game you have to wholy adjust it to the machine"

No, too many ports to the Wii actually working show that isn't the case. That notion is actually just another excuse. Some games are fully made for the system, but games like Mario Kart and NSMBWii use no motion controls or those that could work with buttons, and they are hits anyway.

"The Wii Controller is totally different and you can't simply port games from PS3 to Wii... but you can simply port from Wii to PS3 (Aragorns Quest, Dead Space Extraction, etc.)."

Bull. In case you had forgotten, there is a controller that works fine with those games.

Agreed, there's a lot of developers who are now developing with the CCPro in mind, at least as a secondary option...

The biggest issue, as said before, is too many developers at the start of the gen didn't see the Wii as a worthy gaming platform, but that's all changing now

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

maybe devs just dont wanna work with Wii, for whatever reason, I dont think its a big deal, they should be able to do what they want

oniyide said:

maybe devs just dont wanna work with Wii, for whatever reason, I dont think its a big deal, they should be able to do what they want

But you then complain when consumers don't buy the game you think they should. That's a major double standard.