By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Download Dragon Age 2 demo NOW!!!

Downloading it right now on PS3! Oddly enough I'm also playing DA: Awakening :P.

Around the Network

Downloading on PC...

i cant find it in psn why ??

calibrate` said:

Downloading it right now on PS3! Oddly enough I'm also playing DA: Awakening :P.

where is it? im ont he american psn and i cant find it!

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

i can't find it either... i need to play this demo!!!

Around the Network

I loved Dragon Age: Origins but I am disappointed now.

Dragon Age II tries to be so badass, so Hollywood, so Pirates of the Caribbean. So pretentious.

Those ultra clichéd and corny dialogues and characters make me almost throw up after a while. They're all about being the most witty, sarcastic and cynical. I know exactly how they will behave next.

And why does it have to be so modern? Super tough women. Lesbian love. The church is corrupt and immoral while the mages are freethinking open-minded rebels. And so on. And they even had to make the female character a copy of Morrigan, so progressive, tough and modern.

The game mechanics are also a let down. It's even more linear, more directed and scripted than Origins. Another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene - another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene - another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene - another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene - another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene - another horde of darkspawn - cut-scene. So repetitive.

Battles are too fast paced just to show off and try attrackt the Call of Duty crowd. Mages cast their spells like they were modern missiles. They also changed the camera view and inventory to even more console adapted.

I hate the atmosphere and the attitude of this game. Artificial, superficial, theatrical, cynical. A sharp contrast to the innocence and genuine feeling of Bethesda's worlds.

Slimebeast are you complaining about modern storytelling modes being used to write strong female characters?

I just want to be clear, here.

Khuutra said:

Slimebeast are you complaining about modern storytelling modes being used to write strong female characters?

Not sure I understand your question but I think yes.

I think you can portray strong females in other ways, less anachronistic ways, less obvious ways, less clichéd ways. If you can't, then just do the old school traditional "weak" or manipulative woman, which feels more natural and realistic.

The progressive feminist super woman has really become a huge cliché in modern media.

I was ranting though.

Me loving Origins so much, I can't imagine I will actually hate DA2. All of a sudden those dialogues and characters surprise me and wow me. And especially the storytelling will do that (which in the demo already hooked me when Flemeth entered).

And about the modern/cliché/badass/cynical aspect. I've learned to take movies for what they are and not let the "attitude" in them bother me, but I enjoy the good sides of them. I enjoy nearly all movies I watch nowadays thanks to my changed (to more positive) attitude.

Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

Not sure I understand your question but I think yes.

I think you can portray strong females in other ways, less anachronistic ways, less obvious ways, less clichéd ways. If you can't, then just do the old school traditional "weak" or manipulative woman, which feels more natural and realistic.

The progressive feminist super woman has really become a huge cliché in modern media.

That says more about your expectations than it does about what's realistic.

I agree that some iterations of the strong woman archetype - the femme fatale and the ballbuster in particular - are tired, but defaulting to weak women is never a good thing