By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 pass XBOX 360 sales in 08?

I don't think it will be able to pass the 360 until 2011 (and ultimately, I'm far from sure that the PS3 will ever pass the 360).

In 2008 and 2009, MS will be able to start tapping the $200-250 consumers while Sony will still be $300+. That alone will postpone any huge gains by Sony until they can really get into that price region in 2010 or so.

And between now and then, a million different scenarios could arise to drastically change that one way or the other so it's really useless to speculate.

Anyway, to answer the OP: No, the PS3 cannot and will not pass the 360 in WW sales in 2008. Chances are also seriously stacked against it happening in 2009.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

i wouldn't doubt that the ps3 sells more units in 2008 than the 360 does but it won't be enough to catch up. the numbers are just too big for it to catch up in one year without having wii-scale sales, which it won't.

pntsurf1 said:

As 2008 approaches, we saw a huge increase in Playstation 3 sales from a price drop and different PS3 packages. PS3’s WW sales figures are getting much closer to Microsofts and they actually passed MS figures narrowly last week. Over the last year, many ps3 fanboys stated that by the end of 2008, PS3 will have more worldwide sales than Microsoft will. Is that still the case? Will 2009 be the next target?

Happy Holidays

Oh and did anyone hear about release dates for MGS and FFXIII??

I don't think the PS3 will overtake the 360 anytime soon. PS3 will come close to the sales figures like how the Gamecube and the original Xbox were....

But PS3 software that is being released for 2008 and 2009 looks devious.... 

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

not a chance, they might lower the gap, but they have to sell at Wii levels to pass the Xbox360.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I definetly think this will be a good year for PS3 software and online if they can get Home implemented, but if they will pass 360, probably no, but they could gain some ground if the hyped games catch on, unlike this year.

Around the Network

There are too many factors and too many unknowns right now to be able to predict this. We don't know release dates for many games for either system for next year yet. For example, while MGS4 will move massive amounts of PS3s and MS has no one game that can compete with it, if they were to release 4 'pretty big' games in the same week and advertise the hell outta them, it would certainly take a chunk out of PS3 sales. Especially if one of them is MS' counterpoint to MGS, Splinter Cell. It's a safe bet that there will be some kind of price drop just before GTAIV as well. This would certainly mean that Sony couldn't outsell MS for the year.

On the other hand, if Sony can eke out another $50 price drop, treat T-P's better with better dev kits, and not allow EA to publish ANYTHING on their console not on par with X360, there is a possibility of this happening.

It all depends, if sony cut the price again, get some attractive bundles going and prehaps a good advertising campaign then why not. Either way we wont know till it happens, theres every chance sony could do something really drastic and end up dead in the water, as Lord Zarak said to Galvatron " we shall see Galvatron, we shall see"

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

2009 but there is a high chance the ps3 will take over OTHERS from the X360.

mM

@leo-j

thats for definite

Come GTA IV I feel Others will belong to PS3...

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Some Sony fans around here either need to open their eyes or work on their basic arithmetic a little more before posting.

2007 is virtually a wash so the following information is based on neither the 360 nor PS3 doing anything radical in the next two weeks. Until the end of 2009, we're looking at roughly 104 weeks of sales time. The PS3 is currently sitting approximately 7.3m units behind the 360.

To pass the 360 before January 1st, 2010, Sony has to pull some giant fuckin' rabbits out of their collective hat. Given current rates of sale, here are a few sales averages thus far:

PS3 weekly average: ~133k/week

360 weekly average:  ~142k/week

Current gap between the overall sales: 7,360,000

Weeks until January 1st, 2010: ~104

Weekly PS3 sales needed per week over the 360 to attain parity: 71,000/week

So, some of you basically believe that the PS3 is suddenly going to see a 54% jump in sales year-over-year while the 360 sits still, despite the fact that the 360 is not only profitable, but also nearing mass consumer price levels while the PS3 has quite some way to go before reaching general consumer status.

It just doesn't make sense. It's entirely possible for the PS3 to gain serious ground on the 360 in the next two years but it's nothing more than fanboy rose-colored glasses wish-upon-a-star crap to seriously think it's going to do it in early 2009 (or even 2009 at all). 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/