By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Europe sales saved PS3 this Christmas from an embarrasment?

Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorair said:
StanGable said:
jhlennon1 said:
Final Fantasy XIII will fix the Japan problem, so I am not too concerned about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Japan's love for Final Fantasy been dying lately and isn't Dragon Quest their main fix of RPGness from a major developer?

And yes, I agree with this thread, Europe loves Sony and don't care about getting it in the butt from them!

Can you give me a link or some knowledge that the main series is falling down?

A lot of recent FF's have been selling less than 3 million in Japan, considering PS2 sold like 22 million in japan that's a very small attach rate

Final Fantasy X, the first FF on the PS2, sold 2.4 million copies in Japan in 6 weeks. Number of PS2 consoles in Japan at the time????  Around 5 million. That's a Halo-esque attach rate. I have no clue what you're talking about Avinash.

Yeah but 12 and X-2 sold only 2.42 and 2.41 million with much higher bases, hence why the series is in decline

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorair said:
StanGable said:
jhlennon1 said:
Final Fantasy XIII will fix the Japan problem, so I am not too concerned about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Japan's love for Final Fantasy been dying lately and isn't Dragon Quest their main fix of RPGness from a major developer?

And yes, I agree with this thread, Europe loves Sony and don't care about getting it in the butt from them!

A lot of recent FF's have been selling less than 3 million in Japan, considering PS2 sold like 22 million in japan that's a very small attach rate

Final Fantasy X, the first FF on the PS2, sold 2.4 million copies in Japan in 6 weeks. Number of PS2 consoles in Japan at the time????  Around 5 million. That's a Halo-esque attach rate. I have no clue what you're talking about Avinash.

Yeah but 12 and X-2 sold only 2.42 and 2.41 million with much higher bases, hence why the series is in decline

Avinash, you just cannot be reckoned with.

For WW: 

FFVII -> 9.72

FFVIII -> 7.86

FFXI -> 5.30

FFX -> 7.95

FFX-2 -> 5.21

FFXII -> 4.96

Its certainly declined since FF7, but everyone can agree that was a ridiculous break out success. Omitting FFVII, switching to a new platform always seems to propel sales to 7-8 million. And this is with a low install base. Especially in Japan, FF is very front loaded with sales.

So FF will basically have Halo like sales (5 million MINIMUM, those FF fans will buy anything!!) and you don't think that'll push consoles like Halo did for the 360? Crazy talk.

Please take the Wii glasses off when commenting on PS3 sales. No one expects the PS3 to suddenly pull Wii numbers from 1 game. But with the release of GT5, FF13, and MGS4, you have 15-20 million PS2 owners with a serious itch to scratch. Those are big launches (whenever the heck they happen!)

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

and it is only the first PS3 Xmas
believe me
Xmas 2008 will be amazing for the PS3 :
cheaper, better game, more game, better game for 2009, BR (NA market)
: gg sony

Time to Work !

Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorair said:
StanGable said:
jhlennon1 said:

Avinash, you just cannot be reckoned with.

For WW: 

FFVII -> 9.72

FFVIII -> 7.86

FFXI -> 5.30

FFX -> 7.95

FFX-2 -> 5.21

FFXII -> 4.96

Its certainly declined since FF7, but everyone can agree that was a ridiculous break out success. Omitting FFVII, switching to a new platform always seems to propel sales to 7-8 million. And this is with a low install base. Especially in Japan, FF is very front loaded with sales.

So FF will basically have Halo like sales (5 million MINIMUM, those FF fans will buy anything!!) and you don't think that'll push consoles like Halo did for the 360? Crazy talk.

Please take the Wii glasses off when commenting on PS3 sales. No one expects the PS3 to suddenly pull Wii numbers from 1 game. But with the release of GT5, FF13, and MGS4, you have 15-20 million PS2 owners with a serious itch to scratch. Those are big launches (whenever the heck they happen!)

Sure I know these games will sell, but they won't save the PS3 or lead to dominance as some seem to believe, and most of those series have shown declining or stagnating numbers meaning they'll sell to a select group only, I don't have my Wii glasses on, i'm just surprised people expect these things to overtake the Wii, when they Wii has much wider appeal, its silly, its like saying price drops will get them ahead of Wii sorry ,b ut price doesn't save the day, nor does a few hardcore games, it takes lots of software

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Damn it Avinash, no one in this thread has implied that the PS3 will completely dominate next year. That has happened in other threads but not this one. Don't just assume everyone is a freaking fanboy like yourself. Look at the thread title: "saved from embarrasment". Keep your comments on topic.

There are plenty of PS3 fanboys eating humble pie but there is EVERY JUSTIFIABLE REASON to assume the PS3 will sell better next year.

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

Around the Network

Wii has wider appeal than the PS3!? Its obssession, fascination, but its not something that will last for years. Its not games that are selling the Wii, its the Wii itself. Once you have tried it a few times you've experienced all the Wii has to offer for the next 7 years. Little kids, sure, they will play for years because they dont care so much for AI and graphics. They just like how they can swing the controller and hit people.

GROWN MEN DONT PLAY THE WII. If you are a grown man playing a Wii by yourself, outside of Wii Sports, you probably have less friends than the PS3 has games.

(little joke there, i love my PS3.)

The thread should be with Xbox360 and America instead of PS3 :) PS3 outsells it everywhere other than America....

Mountie said:
Damn it Avinash, no one in this thread has implied that the PS3 will completely dominate next year. That has happened in other threads but not this one. Don't just assume everyone is a freaking fanboy like yourself. Look at the thread title: "saved from embarrasment". Keep your comments on topic.

There are plenty of PS3 fanboys eating humble pie but there is EVERY JUSTIFIABLE REASON to assume the PS3 will sell better next year.

Actually people in this thread have commented that these games will fix the "japan problem" for PS3, not going to happen, nor will it result in a permanent boost, but rather short term spikes in sales

Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorair said:
StanGable said:
jhlennon1 said:

And why are you bringing in Japan. This thread is about PS3 and Europe.
You're trolling.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Mountie said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorair said:
StanGable said:
jhlennon1 said:

And why are you bringing in Japan. This thread is about PS3 and Europe.
You're trolling.

Did you even read the comments you Quoted?  Note the people talking about Japan