By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Europe sales saved PS3 this Christmas from an embarrasment?

jhlennon1 said:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=X360&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=156

I think the graph needs to be updated to match current data.

When you consider the Japan sales are struggling, the US sales are bad, is Europe saving the PS3 this Christmas?

I wouldn't say it like that, but Sony has found its PS2 owners to convert to the PS3 in Europe. That 40GB is doing alot of damage to the Xbox 360 in Europe. But in America, consumers are just starting to catch on to the PS3 as you can see the sales are actually increasing than these last past couple of months. So in America it is Xbox 360 territory. But with the upcoming software for the PS3 for 2008 and 2009. Its going to be a close battle between Xbox 360 and PS3.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial
Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
sieanr said:
darthdevidem said:
There is no point in even saying this

Has American Sales SAVED 360 from embarrassment this XMAS?

it's like saying that...in short...no point

I think the point of this was to say; "Sony has Japan, MS has the US, so is Europe the deciding factor?"

Sony doesn't have Japan. Sony's sales in Japan for its first year were bad. Very bad.

But they are slowly increasing...its some progress but not that much....

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial
Smooth Criminal said:
Europe should be treated a bit better and have games released there sooner. They have always shown such great support to SONY and what do they get in return? Games that are released months after Japan and the US....MONTHS!

I feel bad for them and seriously...you guys over there in Europe rock the PS3. 360 has been out two years and the PS3 one, and it's only roughly a million units apart.

i think we can have a bit of sympathy for the console manufacturers and software developers on this. the NA market is the largest market in the world, and it speaks 1 language (i could be wrong, does Mexico count or is that Central America?).

The Japanese have a specific type of game selection that sells well, and don't sell that well in the rest of the world, but it aslo has one language and one currency.

The Europeanmarket on the other hand is also massively huge, but there are a multitude of different languages, a multitude of different currencies and a multitude of different governments and tax systems to negotiate. Logistically, the EU has got to be a right pain in the arse. I know, i live there!

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Others is "saving" it. Though it's not winning in Others, it is still keeping the PS3 close to the 360 every week, with the help of JP. But like others said, it's not unlike NA saving 360 also.

You're right, Europe did save the PS3 sales from an embarrasment...however, UK and USA are the ones who save the Xbox 360 sales from an embarrasment. Cause from the 15 million units sold worldwide, 11.5 million came from the UK and USA. Even with all these great titles on the Xbox 360(all the best titles were released this year...next year will be less impressive) the console still sells really bad in other countries than the UK and USA.

The fact remains that Sony sells a lot of PS3's in Europe and not so much in USA and Japan.

Around the Network

Why does everyone talk about sony has japan etc etc when after a whole year of data we know sony doesn't have japan. We are in the busiest season of the year and the ps3 is selling 40k/week there. The wii is trouncing the ps3 in japan.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Final Fantasy XIII will fix the Japan problem, so I am not too concerned about that.

jhlennon1 said:
Final Fantasy XIII will fix the Japan problem, so I am not too concerned about that.

short term...isn't it?

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Sony definately has japan compared to the 360. Besides, the Wii entered a bit of a slump as well before wii fit was released so the PS3 hasnt been faring too badly recently.

FFXIII will be major for the PS3, as will GT5. Once systems start moving it'll pick up momentum.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

jhlennon1 said:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3®2=Total+Other&cons3=X360®3=Total+Other&weeks=156

I think the graph needs to be updated to match current data.

When you consider the Japan sales are struggling, the US sales are bad, is Europe saving the PS3 this Christmas?

No it doesn't need updating... the "hardware from launch" chart condenses the weeks into each other when there are too many to fit on the x-axis.
The last point for the PS3 Is i think, either an average of 3 weeks, or else just the sales of 2 weeks ago (it will be correct after next week)

If you lower the number of weeks to 89 or less, the x-axis can go up in singular weeks (wheras the 156 your link shows has it going up 3 weeks each point)