By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted 3 Vs Gears of War 3

Uncharted 3 Vs Gears of War 3

Uncharted 3 676 65.19%

Gears Of War 3 361 34.81%

Total:1,037

you made the story sound bad. Still it will have better story than gears that im sure of

Around the Network

Neither is better because they haven't been released yet. You got the wrong tense, yo.

Tease.

d21lewis said:

MikeB said:

MikeB said:

I think Uncharted 3 to be a massively better game. My reasons:

1) Uncharted has characters I can care about far more, they show more personality and trigger emotion. Gears of War centers around some empthy headed testosteroned Space Marines. Awesome acting performances in the Uncharted series, IMO quite horrible in Gears of War.

2) Story telling. IMO Uncharted is worthy of hollywood in this regard, Gears of War's story is forgetable to say the least. Actually after completing Gears of War 1, I forgot the plot, actually even before that... Something about the fate of human kind on some foreign planet being in the hands in some peanut brained bodybuilders during some strange alien invasion. From what I have seen from Gears of War 2 it's more of the same and I think Gears of War 3 will be more of the same too.

3) Graphically Uncharted 2 looks way beyond anything achieved in Gears of War for example with regard to fluid animations/progress, details, lighting, special effects and physics. Even Uncharted 1 performed anti-aliasing combined with great HDR in high definition which no 360 game has been able to match.

4) Audio wise, the Uncharted series comes in multiple languages. So when I play through the campaign a few more times (on a higher difficulty level), I switch to another language like my native language Dutch and maybe German after completing the campaign in English. This actually keeps the story feel fresher to me.

5) Online mulitplayer. Uncharted 2's online mulit-player is a lot more varied and it's also available for free to anyone who buys the game! On the XBox 360 you need to pay extra each month/year to be able to play the game online and what's even worse you will have to bug your gaming buddies to do the same...

6) Gameplay mechanics. Drake is a lot more flexible with regard to movement than Marcus. Drake can roll dive to cover, hang from the edge of a building while aiming and shooting. You can perform various pushes and kicks. Marcus can unrealistically crouch run (I'm a physiotherapist) but is unable to jump 10 centimeters.

7) Art design. The Uncharted series takes a picturesque approach with lots of epic moments and amazing views. Gears of War takes a dull alien scenery approach and lacks for instance arty death scenes and amazing lighting as seen in the Killzone or God of War series on the PS3. In the Uncharted series there are also interesting females (also in terms of character design/development), Gears of War 3 looks to take the shemale approach instead...

8) Lastability. The Uncharted series include lots of hidden treasures, which make it more interesting to replay the campaign again. Also see my comments with regard to online play above.

9) Sense of humour. Gears of War tries to be funny like some aliens crushing some tiny mammels under their boots or boomers saying boom like a 3 year old when they fire upon you with a rocket launcher. The Uncharted series takes much more clever and well thought "Indy" kind of approach IMO adults (and for example females around watching) will find a far more enjoyable approach.

10) Killing the bad guys. In Gears of War many enemies could only be killed by some remote satelite laser. You can't hurt those bigger guys in any other way. IMO this was used too often. In the Uncharted series you actually have to make plans when in cover. For example, first I am going to sneak kill that guy from behind, get his gun and hide behind the table and wait for the second guy when he comes examining. Then I am going to blow up the fuel cannister to kill the 2 guys there and then.. You get the point. Not nearly as much the case in Gears of War.

I could go on and on, but it's already a 10 - 0 victory for Uncharted! IMO the Uncharted series is way beyond Gears of War's league!

Sorry for the late reply, but I had difficulty structuring a reply and keep things readable through the way you replied. So I copy & pasted most of the things you didn't agree with below.

With regard to point 2 you wrote:

> One could argue that the Uncharted series' plots of "Find the treasure-discover the truth about the treasure-thwart the villain who's also looking for said treasure" is forgetable, too.....

You could argue that but are you truly of the opinion Gears of War's story is better than Uncharted's? Personally I think Uncharted 2's story and plot are much better thought out. The endings of most US movies are predictable but you can still easily distinguish the movies which perform great story telling techniques and those which do not.

IMO actually both Uncharted 1 & 2 had some unexpected story twists, I expect they will try to do the same for Uncharted 3.

With regard to point 3 you wrote:

> Let me suggest you play through Uncharted 1 (and even Uncharted 2) again.  I did recently (despite the fact that my PS3 sig won't update for some reason).  Technology advances fast.

Uncharted 2 still has some of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen in a video game. Actually replaying such scenes today just reaffirms its excellence. As with regard to Uncharted 1, what I sated is true. No 360 game apart from Halo 3 has the advanced HDR lighting Uncharted 1 has (and of course Uncharted 2), but Halo 3 achieved this through sub-HD rendering, dropping anti-aliasing as well as having a less steady framerate (AFAIK this approach was dropped for Reach).

With regard to point 5 you wrote:

> (This is a knock against Gears of War or your take on Xbox Live?)

Well if you and your gaming buddies don't continue to pay extra to play online the lastability and actual value of any game with a short offline campaign such as Halo 3, Gears of War and Call of Duty is greatly reduced.

Objectively this should thus be taken into consideration with regard to 360 game reviews, but sadly it is not.

With regard to point 6 you wrote:

> But can he wield a chainsaw bayonette, take an enemy hostage, or give them a beatdown when they're on the ground?

Still Gears feels bulky to me, it feels Uncharrted's game world and Drake's actions provide me far more options like climbing, fighting and jumping.

It's nice you provide counter arguments, I think discussion and reasoning is what this thread is all about. But do you agree with the points overall? Of course one can argue Uncharted doesn't have a story which appeals to your personal taste, just like other classics such as the Indiana Jones series or James Bond movies. But do you agree that from a general Hollywood perspective Uncharted delivers far more a story in-line with what one would expect from a Hollywood blockbuster than what Gears of War brings forward?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Squilliam said:

Neither is better because they haven't been released yet. You got the wrong tense, yo.

If you read the first post in the thread I said which one do you think will be (future tense) better.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996

Ferrari_7861 said:
Squilliam said:

If you read the first post in the thread I said which one do you think will be (future tense) better.

I think that was a stealth edit after like 231231823912 people said that this question is void as games are not released yet.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
NotStan said:
Ferrari_7861 said:
Squilliam said:

I think that was a stealth edit after like 231231823912 people said that this question is void as games are not released yet.

Damn, are you stalking me or something? Oh well i edited the post now so poeple can't complain. Btw I don't think 231231823912 poeple complained. A slight exaggeration maybe?

EDIT: I just realised it tells you when i last updated the post.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996

Easily Uncharted 3. b/c its Uncharted 3.

MikeB said:
d21lewis said:

MikeB said:

Sorry for the late reply, but I had difficulty structuring a reply and keep things readable through the way you replied. So I copy & pasted most of the things you didn't agree with below.

With regard to point 2 you wrote:

> One could argue that the Uncharted series' plots of "Find the treasure-discover the truth about the treasure-thwart the villain who's also looking for said treasure" is forgetable, too.....

You could argue that but are you truly of the opinion Gears of War's story is better than Uncharted's? Personally I think Uncharted 2's story and plot are much better thought out. The endings of most US movies are predictable but you can still easily distinguish the movies which perform great story telling techniques and those which do not.

IMO actually both Uncharted 1 & 2 had some unexpected story twists, I expect they will try to do the same for Uncharted 3.

With regard to point 3 you wrote:

> Let me suggest you play through Uncharted 1 (and even Uncharted 2) again.  I did recently (despite the fact that my PS3 sig won't update for some reason).  Technology advances fast.

Uncharted 2 still has some of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen in a video game. Actually replaying such scenes today just reaffirms its excellence. As with regard to Uncharted 1, what I sated is true. No 360 game apart from Halo 3 has the advanced HDR lighting Uncharted 1 has (and of course Uncharted 2), but Halo 3 achieved this through sub-HD rendering, dropping anti-aliasing as well as having a less steady framerate (AFAIK this approach was dropped for Reach).

With regard to point 5 you wrote:

> (This is a knock against Gears of War or your take on Xbox Live?)

Well if you and your gaming buddies don't continue to pay extra to play online the lastability and actual value of any game with a short offline campaign such as Halo 3, Gears of War and Call of Duty is greatly reduced.

Objectively this should thus be taken into consideration with regard to 360 game reviews, but sadly it is not.

With regard to point 6 you wrote:

> But can he wield a chainsaw bayonette, take an enemy hostage, or give them a beatdown when they're on the ground?

Still Gears feels bulky to me, it feels Uncharrted's game world and Drake's actions provide me far more options like climbing, fighting and jumping.

It's nice you provide counter arguments, I think discussion and reasoning is what this thread is all about. But do you agree with the points overall? Of course one can argue Uncharted doesn't have a story which appeals to your personal taste, just like other classics such as the Indiana Jones series or James Bond movies. But do you agree that from a general Hollywood perspective Uncharted delivers far more a story in-line with what one would expect from a Hollywood blockbuster than what Gears of War brings forward?

*whoops* pressed "Done" instead of "Cancel".

why compare the 2. That's like comparing tomb raider two duke nukem. There way to different to compare in my mind.

trasharmdsister12 said:
oldschoolfool said:

why compare the 2. That's like comparing tomb raider two duke nukem. There way to different to compare in my mind.

We all know who won that battle.

LOL

Kratos will be handling Mileena similarly soon enough.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!