By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guinness Top 50 Video Game Characters Of All Time

Captain Price....wtf

Around the Network

Anyway, taking a look at the list:

Mario games have sold 440.53 copies - no argument about the dominance of this mascot
Donkey Kong games have sold 54.07 copies (this doesn't include the time period where it was an Arcade hit that built Nintendo)
Pokemon games have sold 197.41 - and Pikachu is the series mascot and most popular Pokemon.
Sonic games have sold 80.47 - and has been the longtime mascot of Sega, one of the most influential companies in gaming history

I think Guiness needs to examine numbers a little better, as A LOT of characters they have on the list are in under 40 million games (ie. Metroid has sold only 15.5 million copies in the series history; while popular among certain types of fans, Samus is not nearly as overall popular as a lot characters she is ranked ahead).

Most of all, I think it is funny how they rank Pac-man so high, but have Donkey Kong pushed way down the list, even though Donkey Kong has remained relevant foer 30 years of gaming; and pac-man hasn't. Even back when both games launched at the beginning of the 80's, Donkey Kong was better. Pac-man has sold around 6 million titles - the latest Donkey Kong title will probably exceed that number by the end of the year. Donkey Kong has sold 54 million. Donkey Kong is also featured in every iteration of Smash and Mario Kart, which including other series that Donkey Kong is featured in such as Smash and Mario Kart which have sold a combined 102 million units.

It was neither Mario nor Sonic that had the final say in who won the 16-bit generation, it was Donkey Kong Country.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

CTRL F - Kekfa