By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SONY has to be the best publisher going around

NiKKoM said:

so... how much money did they make?

This might help a little...

"But these days, Sony Computer Entertainment is no longer posting massive losses; in fact, quite the opposite: revenue for Sony's Networked Products & Services Division fell 6.4% to $7.4 billion but operating profit was up 135% to $564 million. And why?

'The game business benefited from significant cost reductions of PlayStation 3 hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software, which favorably impacted the change in segment operating results.'

Sony sold 6.3 million PS3 units during the quarter, down just a bit from the 6.5 million it sold in the same quarter in 2009. On the other hand, software sales rose significantly, from 47.6 million to 57.6 million; for the PSP, hardware was down from 4.2 million to 3.6 million, but software climbed from 15.0 million to 16.5 million. Obviously, a year later, there's just more hardware around, which means more game sales.

And as time goes on, things should continue to improve for SCE."

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8513.html

Around the Network
The Fury said:

MS seem to have done the opposite. The could have acquired Bioware but didn't and Bungie have now left. They have disbanded 5 or 6 studios over the last few years.

I still think MS really, really missed out this gen with the acquisitions.  Imagine if they had bought Bioware, Bizarre Creations and/or Harmonix.  They have grown some new studios with some good talent (343 Industries, Good Science, Rare's new Fazeley Studio, etc) but after all the closures and layoffs they've done this gen (Ensemble, FASA, ACES, etc) I don't think it even begins to balance out.

Sony has grown enormously this gen though, and even Nintendo's expanded quite a bit internally.  Microsoft just seem to putting their dollars.. elsewhere. :/

I'm confused here. Did you really equate people who bought Fable III to fanboys?

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Valve says hello.

And there's still some franchises they could revive like Medievil, The Getaway, Syphon Filter. I would like to see them back at least for the NGP.

Around the Network
amp316 said:

I might believe this if Kevin Butler told me so, but he isn't so I don't.

I live in a shiny happy world where everything that Nintendo does is perfect unless it's Metroid : Other M, and then I pretend lke it never happened.

This. And also that.

Well I'm not going to get into the who's better than who contest but I will say Sony has provided me with a better gaming experiance than any other publisher this generation and out of my top 10 games so far this generation Sonys responsible for bringing me 8 of those titles.

Sony was smart snapping up some of the best Studios over the last 3 generations and if they hadn't have done that then we wouldn't be seeing some of the quality titles we are seeing now and whats even better about Sonys studios is each of them help each other out. Insomniac and Naughty dog, Naughty Dog and Guerila Games, Santa Monica and David Jaffes studio, Eat, Sleep and Play.

I also think Sony benifit a lot from owning music labels and film companies and all that because they can get some of the best writers and composers in the entertainment buisness to write scripts and music for there games without much hassel.

jarrod said:

I'd say Nintendo's better largely because they actually manage to support 2 platforms well simultaneously.  Sony looks great from a PS3 only perspective, but when you bring PSP into it...

The other thing about Sony, is that while they have introduced a lot of new 1st party IPs this gen (and they do every gen) they also iterate on them faster than any other 1st party and pump out sequels like clockwork.  We're already on threequels for most of their big new PS3 IPs, which feels a bit excessive imo.

there are none that achieve already the threequel tag (unless you count yearly sports games, MBL the show comes to mind)... the ones that are going to do that by the end of this year are: uncharted, motorstorm and resistance... all launch tittles, so after 6 years i don't think is excessive... compare that to COD, NFS series (old IPs but...)... Assassin's Creed a new IP that arrived with this generation has already reach the threequel status, others will fit your description, but none from sony...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Sony has done better then others in there implementation and support for new IP's its just unrivaled, but the work that other pubs have done can't be undermined.

while other pubs new IP's are fare in between on Sony's scale and amount of ne IP's, they have made the effort to do so. while IP's the u've mentioned are fare more innovative then any other pub has released this gen embracing new and risky ideas has been the norm this gen and we will continue to see it for some time.

Not even a mention of SEGA anywhere...what an insult.