By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamercise Me - Can games really help weight loss?

1 Only effective when done in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet.

2 Always consult your physician for advice before attempting the exercises depicted in the games.

3 Good luck

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Finished the first week of my gaming exercise experiment, so this is the update.

Games I played each day:

• Monday: We Cheer. Still haven't mastered the timing for that game, but I did break a sweat trying.
  • Tuesday: Gold's Gym Dance Workout. Also started sweating after the first few songs.
  • Wednesday: Skipped. I had some shopping to do, but since the grocery story was in walking distance, I usually walk there. But had to hurry, as there were rain clouds in the sky. I managed to get home before it ran, but it was still about 3-4 miles total at a hurried pace. My sister recommended I just count that as a workout this day due to that.
  • Thursday: DDR Hottest Party 3. It was a good thing I waited until then, as my legs were still a little sore from walking the day before. So I started off with the lighter songs to get a warmup, and try to get adjusted to the "down" button on the pad (my biggest problem due to our carpet often moving the pad as we play). The more intense songs did leave me sweating by the time I was done.
  • Friday: Skipped. More shopping. I didn't walk as far, but when I got home, I realized I forgot a few things, so had to walk back there all over again.
  • Saturday: We Cheer 2. Spent some time beating three and four star songs, which was good cardio.
  • Sunday: Wii Fit. Finished this week with a more rounded workout. I did a few Yoga moves to warmup, some of the strength moves, some of the cardio boxing, and did the "Lotus Focus" as a cool down.

All in all, was a good warmup week. My biggest issue is getting myself to drink enough water, which I'll make sure to work on this week. Will also make sure to have better portion control this week as well. It's also of course where I move into 45 minutes each workout.

Now I am posting this in multiple sites, to see what advice as many of you as possible can give, and I got some good tips. One was to not go for the full two hours, as just one is easier to stick with. I can understand that, as some exercise experts have stated it's not always the length of the workout, but the intensity. If some of you agree, I'll keep my time to an hour, but build up how hard each one is.

Finally, my family got Just Dance 2, which adds another game to this list. Will report on how it works next week.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

^^ so did you lose any weight yet? or didn't you get on the weightscale yet? and more importantly.. how do you feel? Better? Tired? Muscle pain? the same?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

^^ so did you lose any weight yet? or didn't you get on the weightscale yet? and more importantly.. how do you feel? Better? Tired? Muscle pain? the same?

I'll check the scale, and take another picture of myself, in a month. I find checking weekly discourages me, as I feel the results are too small for those. I'm not on The Biggest Loser, after all.

But I do feel this week was more of a warm up than anything to actually get in shape. As I build up time and intensity, I hope to get the results.

But I think my stomach isn't as big as it was, as it's a bit easier to feel stuffed these days, so that will help my portion control.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I swear by Wii fit and healty eating.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Ajescent said:

I swear by Wii fit and healty eating.

Cool. I also read your line as an odd beginning to an oath. "I swear, by Wii Fit and healthy eating, that we will build this new temple!"

I started with Wii Fit as soon as it was released. I was obese at this time. I reached ideal weight after a year by loosing 40 kg. Of course I combined my training with a special diet. At this time I just used Wii-Fit. My main training was the running exercise.

After I reached ideal weight I decided to get more muscles. I got "My Fitness Coach" and handweights. It also worked and I got more muscles. (But I still want some more.)

I tried also some other Exercise Games (EA Sports Active 1 & 2, My Fitness Coach: Cardio Workout). I liked them, I used them, I switched them for something different.

At some point in time I went on from virtual running and tried running in the real world. And since then I try to run 2 times per week, if the weather allows it.

My current training schedule is this:

Wii Fit plus - used once per week to check and record my weight

My Fitness Coach - for upper Body training. I use 2*5 kg handweights during the training session, even if the virtual trainer doesn't use them. I do 2 training sessions a 30 minutes per week

Real life - 2 training runs per week. Distance app. 6 km. If the weather is bad, I use other training methods.

Sorry this is a day late. Anyway, finished week two of this experiment. Found a bunch of speed bumps, but looking at those just makes me more determined (plus I've heard the second week is often one of the toughest). I did the time upgrade to 45 minutes, and of course felt more burn and sweating from the extra time. It felt good, even if more sore at points.

I also added Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 2 to my gamercise collection, and later on would like to get the current DDR Wii game, just for a second mat.

Games I played each day:
* Monday: Just Dance 2, which turned out to be surprisingly intense, as well as fun.
* Tuesday: Gold's Gym Dance Workout. Got about 500 calories burned, according to the scoring on that game, and it felt at least that much.
* Wednesday: Ended up as a skip day, since I've gotten plenty of advice not to do this every day.
* Thurdsay: Didn't want this to be a skip day, but it happened. Don't want to talk about why.
* Friday: Got DDR HP2, and tried that out. Had to turn off all the fancy stuff after the first song though. Even though the weight loss is more important than the score, I still have to know what I am doing.
* Saturday: Moved furniture as exercise. My mother and sister needed new dressers, so we had to take out the old ones and put the new ones together.
* Sunday: Just Dance 2 again.

Still need to remind myself to drink more water, and did feel "off" some of these days, but I'm not feeling discouraged. I'm up to an hour next week, and then seeing if I should increase the time after that or the intensity.

Ramping up the intensity is my advice

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Interesting project, I hope you keep at it.

You've got a lot of dance games already but Dance Central could be a good addition to your mix. I do think you'll be stomping less on your downstair neighbor's head than with Dance Dance Revolution.

Signature goes here!