By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamercise Me - Can games really help weight loss?

TruckOSaurus said:

Interesting project, I hope you keep at it.

You've got a lot of dance games already but Dance Central could be a good addition to your mix. I do think you'll be stomping less on your downstair neighbor's head than with Dance Dance Revolution.

Well that's up to my brother, as the Kinect is his.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Keep it up, week #3 will be something!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

Got a couple more dance games, including Dance on Broadway (which is very similar to Just Dance, just with polygon dancers instead of rotoscoped ones) and the latest DDR for the Wii, which was for sale this week, so I did get a second mat.

Games I played each day:
* Monday: We Cheer 1 and then 2.
* Tuesday: That was my off day.
* Wednesday: More furniture moving, as the other dresser came in.
* Thursday: Wii Fit.
* Friday: Had some Spring Cleaning to do.
* Saturday: Played the new DDR game we got, and then DDR HP2.
* Sunday: Dance on Broadway, and then We Cheer 1.

So this week I stay with an hour, but ramp up the intensity.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Keep on, keepin' on.

We want videos of Just Dance 2.

Good for you for being active and posting to keep accountable!

The dance games are excellent cardio.    Try to work some EA Sports Active , My Fitness Coach (original - get it) or Biggest Loser in at least once a week as they are more well-rounded exercise than just dancing.

Around the Network

There's a setback. The scale says I barely lost anything, and my new picture shows barely any change from the first one.

Does this mean this doesn't work? Not necessarily. I'm taking personal responsibility for this. I tend to procrastinate, which meant I would work out too late, and took more off days than I should have. I also didn't really exercise outside my comfort zone except for a few times. Okay for keeping in shape, but not good for losing weight. I didn't really watch what I ate as much as I should. But most importantly were the emotional and psychological reasons I gained weight in the first place, and I really had to sort a lot of that out this month.

So what might have made me just give up instead has made me more determined. It seems I do have to go above an hour a day, to make sure I burn enough calories, and I also have to start counting calories as well (I stated from the beginning I should take out fattening foods). Plus I also have Wii-compatible weights I'm adding for some of the games.

So this first month, wasn't quite a wash. It was just me showing myself I can do this. Now it's me actually doing this.

The games I worked out to this week:

* Monday: We Cheer 2

* Tuesday: Just Dance 2 (but for half an hour)

* Wednesday: Skip day

* Thursday: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout

* Friday: Gold's Gym Dance Workout

* Saturday: Skip day

* Sunday: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (but for half an hour)

Atleast this sounds a positive out-look and like you said, now's the time to stick to it and never think about backing down!!!

Faito! Faito!! Faito!!!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:

Atleast this sounds a positive out-look and like you said, now's the time to stick to it and never think about backing down!!!

Faito! Faito!! Faito!!!

Thanks. Now what does "faito" mean?

Good to see that you're not giving up.. first weeks and months are always the hard part..

and Faito is Fight! and used for teamsport encouragment in japan like GO! GO! GO!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Get Fit with Mel B. Now I'm not a big fan of hers, but I read somehwere that it got a 90/100 and it grabbed my attention. I bought it for £15 from GAME and I have dedicated many hours playing it. It really is an amazing game. I tried Wii fit a few years ago but I got bored after a few months and stopped playing.

Has anyone else tried it? So far it has exceeded my expectations. It really keeps you motivated and there is no way to cheat. If there is a demo on the 360 please download it and I'm certain you'll love it.