By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Spyro game: also another activison peripheral

It's been more than two years since Spyro last spread his wings. One of the best games on the original PlayStation, Spyro moved through the various consoles with mixed results. That's whyActivision has decided to wipe his slate clean and start anew. In development at Toys for Bob, the only thing Skylanders Spyro's Adventure has in common with previous Spyro games is that it features a purple dragon. 

Spyro's still got some fire left in him

The goal with this new game is to merge physical toys and video games in a way that's never been done before by giving the toys the ability to remember anything and everything that's gone on in the game. So, the toy essentially becomes a physical manifestation of the in-game character, storing level, stats, and any customization the player has chosen to do. Toys for Bob studio head Paul Reiche III calls them "toys with brains," and said he and his team wanted to really push toys into the future. 

Here's how it works. When sold at retail, the game will come bundled with a special "Portal" peripheral as well as three different character figurines. The Portal plugs into the game console, and when players place a figurine on the portal, that character appears in the game. As long as the figurine remains on the portal, it saves everything the player does in the game. The player can then take the figurine to a friend's house and pull the character into his friend's game, complete with all the details and stats he accomplished in his own game. The use of the toys is less of a gimmick than in some other games because the fact that the characters are tiny frozen figurines is weaved into the game's mythology. 
Spyro figurine atop the portal peripheral

Additional figurines (more than 30 total) will be sold separately. Each of them will represent a different character, and all of them will play differently in the game. Players can switch characters on the fly by simply placing a different figurine on the portal. And from what I saw, the transition was instantaneous. In addition, the prototypes of the figurines I was shown looked pretty cool. They stand about 2-3 inches tall and feature colorful, creative designs. Since Activision expects them to retail for $10 or less, they seem to be good quality for the price. 

While the toy angle seems cool, the actual gameplay is a little bit more of a question mark. During my demo, I didn't actually get to the play Skylanders, but what I saw appeared to be a pretty standard third-person adventure game with plenty of enemies to take out and some puzzles to solve along the way. It looked OK, but I didn't see anything that really impressed me. Skylanders will feature both cooperative and competitive multiplayer, with the player vs. player looking to hold the most promise, as it will require strategy in selecting which characters to use against your opponent, as well as leveling them up. 

New character Gill Grunt washes out the enemy

It's also promising that Skylanders has already been in development for two and a half years, an unheard of amount of time for a game aimed at kids. And the story is being written by Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow, who wrote the Toy Story film. Reiche also told me we can expect the same caliber from the voice cast, though no names have been announced. If Skylanders can live up to the creativity of the toys, then Spyro may be making a triumphant return this fall. 

Source:http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/114/1149117p1.html

I loved the orginal spyro on PS1 but i am no way going to get this or buy into any thing activison peripheral based games. The concept sounds okay but in order to get the full experience you have to foke out around 250+ dollars extra. But looking at it, this is something i can see nintendo doing with pokemon and abusing the hell out of it, picture 100s of pokemon and the only way to collect them all is to buy the toys.  

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

aha!!! spyro has been slayed by ratchet!

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

I wish naughty dog made crash games and insomniac made spyro game like back on ps1. From what I am seeing from this it looks like an absolute discrace to the orginal ps1 games. But I could be wrong.

So... We lost Guitar Hero for this shit? FAIL.

Also, The "toy" sounds like a MEMORY CARD with decoration thumb-drive style.

L.C.E.C. said:

So... We lost Guitar Hero for this shit? FAIL.

Also, The "toy" sounds like a MEMORY CARD with decoration thumb-drive style.

its basically an decoative usb drive 

Around the Network

Lol Spyro looks like a mentally abused abomination

PullusPardus said:

Lol Spyro looks like a mentally abused abomination

what happens to characters when they run threw activison creativity deparment, the end result is twisted horrific character results 

That's the most pointless gaming peripheral I have ever seen.

$10 for a little plastic toy! Would you spend $10 in DLC for a bonus character?

And how much is that portal thing going to cost?

What a waste of money!

What have they done to Spyro... I'm not exactly sure how he's been the past few years but I don't think he's ever looked that EVIL.

dobby985 said:

That's the most pointless gaming peripheral I have ever seen.

$10 for a little plastic toy! Would you spend $10 in DLC for a bonus character?

And how much is that portal thing going to cost?

What a waste of money!

i guess 100 USD for the game portal 3 characters 

then its 270 USD to play the rest of the characters 

So basically i am guessing that it would cost 370 dollars to get everything. Costing more than an console.