By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Demon's Souls is a Million Seller

Its amazing how the only thing that really drove this game to 1 million is word of mouth. there was like no advertising for it, not published by sony, and people said it didnt have a great story. Yet the difficulty and great word of mouth really made a lot of people buy it.

Around the Network
PureDante said:

Congrats to them, can't wait for Dark Souls.

congrats, game really deserves it.  Shame it took its time to be localise over here, but fantastic nonetheless 

Kudos for Demon´s Souls, it´s a shame for gamers everywere in the world that it took it so long.

And it´s also funny how a game can be so irritating and so awesome at the same time.

Edit: just watched the video for Dark Souls and now I have a new game for my top 5 on the the Wanted thread.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Yay, brilliant game. Sits up there with Valkyria Chronicles as most undersold game of the generation. Even at 1 million it's still well undersold.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Just throwing this out there and not being specific about any game in particular:  What's your take on a game that sells a million at full retail price compared to a game that reaches a million when it's sold at 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/6 of the msrp?  What about packed with a console?  How about as a free downloadable?

Is the main concern how many copies sell, how much money is made, or how many gamers enjoy it?  I guess this could be a standalone thread instead of a postt but I suffer from Lazyboy's Disease.

My personal take is dependant on the game itself. in this case of Demon's Souls is that theres a million people out there who've played it. but that dosent mean everyone enjoyed it. some people probabily hated it. 

i think its excellent because the quantity of sales have meant a sequel to this type of game and there is a potential userbase of 1 million people who will support the next title and more because its multiplatform.

the money made is irrelevant to me, because the developers and Sony were never expecting this kind of success, which suggests its already been financially successful. but obviously its important for a healthy balance of both. either way the number of sales is important even if its bargain bin, because if the game is good, then theres 1 more person its reached with each sale; which is good for deveopers in their next project and good for the fans who enjoyed it.

A203D said:
d21lewis said:

Just throwing this out there and not being specific about any game in particular:  What's your take on a game that sells a million at full retail price compared to a game that reaches a million when it's sold at 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/6 of the msrp?  What about packed with a console?  How about as a free downloadable?

Is the main concern how many copies sell, how much money is made, or how many gamers enjoy it?  I guess this could be a standalone thread instead of a postt but I suffer from Lazyboy's Disease.

My personal take is dependant on the game itself. in this case of Demon's Souls is that theres a million people out there who've played it. but that dosent mean everyone enjoyed it. some people probabily hated it. 

i think its excellent because the quantity of sales have meant a sequel to this type of game and there is a potential userbase of 1 million people who will support the next title and more because its multiplatform.

the money made is irrelevant to me, because the developers and Sony were never expecting this kind of success, which suggests its already been financially successful. but obviously its important for a healthy balance of both. either way the number of sales is important even if its bargain bin, because if the game is good, then theres 1 more person its reached with each sale; which is good for deveopers in their next project and good for the fans who enjoyed it.

The game didn't exactly go down in price fast either, I bought mine for 60 almost a year after it released because I just couldn't find it cheaper and I wanted it 

Congrats!! My best friend got me this game as a Christmas present and I can't wait to start playing it, as soon as he buys it for himself too. I've heard great things for this game. Just one question; Is the co-op any good?

naruball said:

Congrats!! My best friend got me this game as a Christmas present and I can't wait to start playing it, as soon as he buys it for himself too. I've heard great things for this game. Just one question; Is the co-op any good?

The online coop is the game's highlight.

ethomaz said:
naruball said:

The online coop is the game's highlight.

I prefer the pvp myself nothing like stabbing a guy in the back as a black phantom when he doesn't expect it