By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY is currently "Struggling to MEET DEMAND" for the PSP!!! (yes the PSP)

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios, has told Edge that Sony NGP and PSP will co-exist when the former launches later this year.

The exec said it wouldn't make business sense to kill off the original PSP because the company's currently "struggling to meet" consumer demand for the platform, which launched in late 2004.

"The NGP features everything Sony can and wants to do today," he said. "It's a platform looking forward with great ambition.

"It can't replace a platform that has already been on sale for seven years now. In terms of pricing, we can't sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP. The PSP has become very affordable and popular, especially with younger generations.

"I think the NGP needs time to mature and get adopted by users," he added. "So, for the time being, both platforms will coexist."

The new issue of Edge is with subscribers now and will be in stores next week. Order it here and have it delivered to your door.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288503/news/sony-ngp-wont-kill-off-psp-yoshida/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wait what?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

If you wanted a serious answer... it could be because they projected low sales of the PSP, but because of Japan and their current PSP line up, the demand for the PSP is greater then they budgeted. Basically they didn't make enough.

Just because it's selling less than the DS doesn't mean they have the difference sitting around in some warehouse.

Looks like NGP gonna be very expensive. $400 minimum.

silicon said:

If you wanted a serious answer... it could be because they projected low sales of the PSP, but because of Japan and their current PSP line up, the demand for the PSP is greater then they budgeted. Basically they didn't make enough.

Just because it's selling less than the DS doesn't mean they have the difference sitting around in some warehouse.

YEah I did want a serious answer. Its just no-one has mentioned of any shortages of PSP on the forums.

His comment came out of the blue.

uhhh.... Lazy?

Around the Network
NSS7 said:

This!

Oh Sony!

NSS7 said:

$299 was the last rumor

Would only make sense if they lowered the units shipped to markets after low demand and suddenly demand rose up again. But I don't know.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Probably because they underestimated demand in Japan. A lot of PSP's were sold there in December.

I don't expect it to last long anyway. And PSP needs a Pricecut too. SO they NEED to sort it out before they cut price.

Carl2291 said:

Probably because they underestimated demand in Japan. A lot of PSP's were sold there in December.

I don't expect it to last long anyway. And PSP needs a Pricecut too. SO they NEED to sort it out before they cut price.

It should get a price cut this summer before NGP.

But if they are making a loss on NGP and if the PS3 price cut happens this year they might not wanna cut PSP's price.