By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Activision kill the FPS genre?

Why would I stop buying CoD games if they stay great?

I won't and most won't.

Around the Network

Half-Life, Goldeneye, Halo, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Doom, Counterstrike, Deus Ex.

All FPS', all around before Call of Duty. Even if Activision somehow manage to milk Call of Duty to its death, the FPS genre will continue to be popular. There's actually a fair amount of variety out there for FPS', unlike the music genre where the actual gameplay is rather one-dimensional.

I think their are going to be many culprits. But COD would be the biggest reason if the FPS genre is going to die.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

i can see call of duty popularity dying out but i can't see it taking the entire fps genre with it.  maybe the military fps genre but not the entire fps genre.

and besides, i think it was cliffy that said "i've seen the future of the fps and it's an rpg".  i think we are going to see new and exciting directions in the fps genre before we see its demise.

Guitar Hero really built up the music genre, so it died along with Guitar Hero.

There have been first person shooters for a very long time. There was Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake and Unreal before Call of Duty was even conceived. The death of one franchise wouldn't kill the genre.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

great topic of discussion Joelcool7, and for fuck sure, its already happening in my view. Dead Space, Bioshock and Gears of War are synonymous with a shift to third person perspective, aswell as a shift towards more complicated genre twists on the traditional fps.

And i should add, Cod in space is STUPID!

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

well no i don't think it will die anytime soon cause it shows no sign of falling in sales but if another fps title such as a mixture of halo and killzone come out cod might not be leading the fps genre like what happend to halo 3 after cod 4 came out and how it took so long for odst to reach mw2 first week sales infact still never has same with reach

well no i don't think it will die anytime soon cause it shows no sign of falling in sales but if another fps title such as a mixture of halo and killzone come out cod might not be leading the fps genre like what happend to halo 3 after cod 4 came out and how it took so long for odst to reach mw2 first week sales infact still never has same with reach!

The genre will not die, but COD could.  

fps genre, never

hardcore tactical fps on consoles, killed it 2 years ago