By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pirates, admit you're thieves

I'd consider myself the person who swabs the decks on the pirate ship

I have some emulators on my PC and like 20%-30% of the music on my iPod is pirated.

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Seece said:
dtewi said:
Seece said:
dtewi said:

Congratulations guys, I give everyone in this thread 5 scruples.

...I mean, that's what you guys want, right? To be morally correct?

How many of you actually hate piracy?

Are you actually morally enraged when someone pirates a game, or do you actually like to have scruples for once?

I never pirate games, but seeing people acting so high-and-mighty like this always annoys me.

"Hey let's ban everyone who pirates games!"

Are you guys serious?

@Seece

What came first, your hatred of zexen, or your hatred of piracy?

I don't hate Zexen, I just dislike a lot of what he does. It's none of your business regardless, stop sticking your nose in.

Of course it's my business. It's everyone's business since you decided to post in this thread. Everything posted in a thread has a right to be discussed.

If you didn't want to talk about it, you shouldn't have gone around in here saying "Let's ban the mod who pirates games!"

No it isn't, I didn't bring up my dislike of him, just that ALL people here who are proud to pirate should be banned, they go against pretty much what VGC stands for.

You only care about banning the pirates since zexen is that group.

And I brought up the dislike, because you said you wanted zexen to be banned. Simple cause and effect. You stated something, I questioned your motive behind it, simple as that.

Simply avoiding saying the name zexen doesn't mean that you didn't mention him either.

No I want all proud pirates banned here, regardless of zexen being in that group or not. I'm pretty sure Zexen will leave the site in a few months anyway so I don't care if he gets banned or not in reality.

If you fotocopy a book (or just a few pages of it) without permission or authorization, it's copy right infringement.

If you watch a video on YouTube of a song, wether it's from a game's OST, movie OST, a singer/band's song that has been uploaded on YouTube without the author's consent or authorization, it's copyright infringement.

If you post links or embed the videos containing the stuff mentioned above, it's distribution :P

If you take scans from magazines and upload them to the internet without the author's consent or authorization, it's copy right infringement.

If you post those scans, it's distribution.

If you post videos on YouTube with, for example, a game's OST, without authorization, even if it's just used in the background while you talk or something, it's copyright infringement.

I have done all of the above (well... maybe not the last one). That means I'm a pirate. If you have done at least one of the above, you're a pirate, too... now, why is it so hard to say "I'm a pirate"? why do you people keep making excuses? That won't change reality, you're still pirates even if you don't want to say it.

It's not that bad though, everyone that's spent a week on the internet has done something that makes him a pirate. I'd say everyone on VGChartz has done at least one of the above...

Of course, there are also those who download songs, movies, games or applications illegaly, that's also copyright infringement, and they're also pirates. Just like the rest of us.

There are more examples, but I can't think of them all... I don't know if the dude who says the images and sigs are also piracy, but if he's right then that's also another example of "piracy" to add to the list. That would add another reason why I can be considered a pirate, look at my sig, I got it from another site xD Didn't even modify it.

By the way, is the robber who steals 10 dollars any less of a thief than the one who steals 1000? they're both thieves.

Seriously people, all those excuses are starting to annoy me... maybe I shouldn't enter this thread anymore xD

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Seece said:

No I want all proud pirates banned here, regardless of zexen being in that group or not. I'm pretty sure Zexen will leave the site in a few months anyway so I don't care if he gets banned or not in reality.

Seece, you can say that all you want, but it won't make it true. Your dislike of zexen is a factor in your view of pirates, though feel free to deny that all you want.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Seece said:

Seece, you can say that all you want, but it won't make it true. Your dislike of zexen is a factor in your view of pirates, though feel free to deny that all you want.

I can deny it, I know what I'm thinking more than you do. You have a habit of thinking you can see inside my mind dtewi, you're wrong, again

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

The self-righteousness of some folks in this thread is making me angry, though when it comes to gaming i have little room to be angry at the non-pirates. If anything i'm the quintessential stupid consumer that the gaming industry wishes everyone were: i buy all my games and hardware day-one full price if i can, and i've never pirated console games (and i don't play PC games outside of the occasional H-game)

The ethics and reality of piracy are vastly different from theft, as the monetary "loss" of piracy is as ephemeral as air, though i only tend to pirate anime (of the hentai and non-hentai variety), and more stuff i'll just find hosted illegitimately online (but never actually acquire), however that's often a matter of products that are not made readily available to me

It's not so much the self-righteousness, to me, as it is the faulty logic.

90% of the people who despise piracy on internet boards, are doing so through an illegal copy of Windows Operating System.

Sometimes, that same people, sell their stuff to friends or relatives without paying the respective tax for such transaction to the government,  thus leading to an illegal action as reprehensive as piracy.

Yes, piracy is a crime and theft. Thats why you should buy your own eye patch as soon as possible to fit into the community.

This is a messy thread, LOL.

dtewi said:

Congratulations guys, I give everyone in this thread 5 scruples.

...I mean, that's what you guys want, right? To be morally correct?

How many of you actually hate piracy?

Are you actually morally enraged when someone pirates a game, or do you actually like to have scruples for once?

I never pirate games, but seeing people acting so high-and-mighty like this always annoys me.

"Hey let's ban everyone who pirates games!"

Are you guys serious?

@Seece

What came first, your hatred of zexen, or your hatred of piracy?

This!

Its quite annoying all this whitch hunting, and this medieval morality. People need to understand that piracy involves loads of gray areas, heck even the law is not unified between countries (please don't say that some country law system is better than another, just based on the piracy topic)

To a point I agree with Seece, the irony of a mod in a game sales website, that has admited he has pirated. But, I strongly disagree with the all those ridiculous banning reasons. Braggin about pirating is not an offence, unless you are the developer/publisher affected. As far as i know it doesn't break any rule of the site (Please let me know if I'm wrong in this point). It may not be right, but beleive me is as annoyin as all these "Pirates are thiefs" cruzades.

...and the excuses continue....i'm shocked.