By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - THE NEW GRAPHICS KING CLAIMS ITS THRONE!

KZ2 or the beta for kz3 have not impressed me, for me U2 and GOWIII are still the best when it comes to consoles, but consoles get shit on by pc no doubt.

Around the Network
Booh! said:
meehan666 said:
Booh! said:
meehan666 said:
Booh! said:

About Crysis...

Pointless comparison. Lighting in Crysis is real-time calculated. Lighting in Killzone is baked in.

Come on...

It's the same place...

And what's worse is that Crysis 2 is still not better than this.

Small cooridoors, no time of day shifting of light. Pointless to compare baked vs realtime. And anyway, lighting is just one aspect of graphics tech. As long as we are doing videos, show me particle effects like this in killzone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwT8XM0AUPM

What baked? Lighting in Killzone 2 is real-time and way better than that of Crysis. In fact Crysis 2 lighting approach is (oh noes!) copied from KZ2 (well Uncharted:DF... http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/deferred-lighting-approaches/ for the full story, also http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27883 ).

However, they should make a sprite mod pack for Crysis, since those 2 sprites are really overused:

not to count that fire is not transparent...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-crysis-2-demo?page=2

Crysis 2 uses real time global illumination and lighting can be adjusted on the fly. Which is why if you stand still the light and shadows will shift over time, unlike killzone. In Crysis you had a large light source illuminating a massive island full of complex geometry. The small cooridoors that killzone lives on don't compare. 

And again lighting is one thing. RAM intensive features of the engine, like textures, are/will be far superior on Crysis/Crysis 2 compared to Killzone 2/3. And a killzone fanboy shouldn't talk about fire; did they fix the flame pisser? 

CGI-Quality said:
Aldro said:
CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:

From what I've seen and played with single player Demo its certainly right there, though personally I think Uncharted 2 still looks better.  For me its the best looking console game.

And personally I think from the looks of it Both Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 are going to look better than KZ3 anyways.

I think Gears 3 & Uncharted 3 will look good in their own right, but from a technical aspect, will not be ahead of Killzone 3. It has so much happening on screen - the gun models are the top of their class (NO shooter has better gun models than Killzone on consoles), the environments look more realistic than both (at least from what's been shown of Gears 3 or Uncharted 3), and the particle effects are second to none. I don't think Gears 3 will look better than God of War III, Uncharted 3, nor Killzone 3, but will look better than everything before it, and certainly better than anything on the 360.

Uncharted 3 will take the crown from everybody by year's end, but I'll probably back Killzone 3 over it just as I did with KZ2/God of War III over Uncharted 2. All personal preference either way.

Agree with this entirely, its scary how you think CGI.

JUST ONE disagreement...
I personally, honestly, don't think Gears 3 will surpass ..Uncharted 2, there I said it.

Gears 3 has at least a chance to match it - some of what they've shown from the 360 is truly staggering!

The character models on Gears 3 are fantastic(better than UC2/killzone, not as good as GoW3), but I don't see it looking better than UC 2's atmosphere...the effects like snow sticking to shirt and jeans, wet clothes, (chloe), extra-ordinary lighting (my god...), not a single jaggie.

And its almost 100% fact that it won't look better than UC 2's cutscenes which are CGI quality.

Wait...

I played all the HIgh RATE games, but none of their graphic can exceed KZ3.  It a BEAST.

I'll wait till I play the full game before I make judgement but I can't help but think that best graphics belong to the 3rd person view genre.

KZ3 at least takes the best looking FPS (from non other than KZ2). I'm going to be very, very picky here and say that while MLAA is very welcome and has definately improved the graphics, it is more jaggy then QAA . QAA for all it's blurry faults was at least very good at edge smoothing and looked particularly good on KZ2. Final embarrassing nitpick....sometimes the explosions can look low res and poorly animated.

As much as I like graphics, gameplay is much more important. This is where Uncharted series dominates imo.

Around the Network

Just wait until RAGE comes in and pwns all

meehan666 said:
Booh! said:
meehan666 said:
Booh! said:
meehan666 said:
Booh! said:

About Crysis...

Pointless comparison. Lighting in Crysis is real-time calculated. Lighting in Killzone is baked in.

Come on...

It's the same place...

And what's worse is that Crysis 2 is still not better than this.

Small cooridoors, no time of day shifting of light. Pointless to compare baked vs realtime. And anyway, lighting is just one aspect of graphics tech. As long as we are doing videos, show me particle effects like this in killzone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwT8XM0AUPM

What baked? Lighting in Killzone 2 is real-time and way better than that of Crysis. In fact Crysis 2 lighting approach is (oh noes!) copied from KZ2 (well Uncharted:DF... http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/deferred-lighting-approaches/ for the full story, also http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27883 ).

However, they should make a sprite mod pack for Crysis, since those 2 sprites are really overused:

not to count that fire is not transparent...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-crysis-2-demo?page=2

Crysis 2 uses real time global illumination and lighting can be adjusted on the fly. Which is why if you stand still the light and shadows will shift over time, unlike killzone. In Crysis you had a large light source illuminating a massive island full of complex geometry. The small cooridoors that killzone lives on don't compare. 

And again lighting is one thing. RAM intensive features of the engine, like textures, are/will be far superior on Crysis/Crysis 2 compared to Killzone 2/3. And a killzone fanboy shouldn't talk about fire; did they fix the flame pisser? 

Crysis has not real time global illumination (like Killzone 2). However small corridors in Crysis would suck (unlike Killzone 2): http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?postid=417088 . Lighting and shadows in Crysis are really weak, there's a bit of bloom and other nice effects to cover that, but overall its lighting and shadows compartment is technically poor. It's good for landscapes, but when things get really close it's ugly (like the grabbed soldier, it's not just a matter of corridors).

Crysis 2 has a bit better lighting and shadows compartment (heck! They imported graphics technology from Killzone and Uncharted), but it will be not the graphics king, not on consoles.

CGI-Quality said:

Seems reviews agree, as most of them say the same thing.

Still, it will only get you bragging rights, nothing significant.

wht he said

mantlepiecek said:
CGI-Quality said:
Aldro said:
CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:

From what I've seen and played with single player Demo its certainly right there, though personally I think Uncharted 2 still looks better.  For me its the best looking console game.

And personally I think from the looks of it Both Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 are going to look better than KZ3 anyways.

I think Gears 3 & Uncharted 3 will look good in their own right, but from a technical aspect, will not be ahead of Killzone 3. It has so much happening on screen - the gun models are the top of their class (NO shooter has better gun models than Killzone on consoles), the environments look more realistic than both (at least from what's been shown of Gears 3 or Uncharted 3), and the particle effects are second to none. I don't think Gears 3 will look better than God of War III, Uncharted 3, nor Killzone 3, but will look better than everything before it, and certainly better than anything on the 360.

Uncharted 3 will take the crown from everybody by year's end, but I'll probably back Killzone 3 over it just as I did with KZ2/God of War III over Uncharted 2. All personal preference either way.

Agree with this entirely, its scary how you think CGI.

JUST ONE disagreement...
I personally, honestly, don't think Gears 3 will surpass ..Uncharted 2, there I said it.

Gears 3 has at least a chance to match it - some of what they've shown from the 360 is truly staggering!

The character models on Gears 3 are fantastic(better than UC2/killzone, not as good as GoW3), but I don't see it looking better than UC 2's atmosphere...the effects like snow sticking to shirt and jeans, wet clothes, (chloe), extra-ordinary lighting (my god...), not a single jaggie.

And its almost 100% fact that it won't look better than UC 2's cutscenes which are CGI quality.

Wait...

..Sorry but the character models are not better imo. Can anyone go find a 720p video of Gears 3 and Uncharted 2, put them head to head and watch? Is it just me who doesn't find Gears 3 better? It looks amazing no doubt but it doesnt really come up to GoW3 -> Uncharted 2 -> Killzone 3 (god forbid Uncharted 3) standards. ..Possibly Killzone 2 in.. some areas, yeah I can give it that atleast, its got colors xP but I like the gritty ness from KZ2.

Gears 3 does most things really really good but its just not AS good as them, thats all im saying from the footage we've seen... gonna play the beta when my mate buys bulletstorm xP so i'll get a better view then I guess.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:

Seems reviews agree, as most of them say the same thing.

Still, it will only get you bragging rights, nothing significant.

wht he said

"only bragging rights"

I'm here on VGC and im a sony fanboy for one reason... TO BRAG Mwahahaha >:D!