By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears of War Not Coming to PS3 Anytime Soon Says Epic Games

heruamon said:

LOL...M$ probably jointly funds the development of the game, so if you are a developer, and as a developer, that's SO critical.  They get a secure funding source to market and publish the game, and they continue to have Gears franchise as the R&D bed for their graphical engines, which they pimp out quiet handsomely to others..."Bird in the hand..." case here, imho.  Unless Sony is willing to “heavily incentivize” them to shift, dunno why Epic would do so…

Microsoft funds Gears? LOL....Their fund came with a contract for its exclusivity. That game is funded by Epic plain and simple. They've grown by leaps and bounds by the sales of Gears and the Unreal engine iterations alone. Microsoft needs to get better game scouting, because most of the games they've funded have failed.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Gears 1-3 won't appear on PS3 (or any PlayStation, ever) in any way, shape or form.  A Gears game could, maybe even Gears 4, but not 1-3.  

In that case I don't even know why we're in disagreement ¬_¬

I totally agree with that. What I was arguing against with ElGran was that the franchise is Epics to do with what they please.

Oh.  Well, then, uh, yeah. :3

Epic can do what they please with the Gears franchise, probably just not Gears 1-3 specifically.  Microsoft is likely always going to have some say in those 3 titles.

gears of war is outdated and boring anyways...

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Unless MS is paying them to keep it exclusive then there is no good reason to keep it just on 360. 3rd party exclusives don't make any sense to me. 

Chairman-Mao said:

Unless MS is paying them to keep it exclusive then there is no good reason to keep it just on 360. 3rd party exclusives don't make any sense to me. 

Microsoft's already likely done the "payment".   I'd agree though, 3rd party exclusives only really make sense when they're being subsidized by the hardware maker... which Gears 1-3 undoubtedly were.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

Huh, I never even knew this was something some people wanted, or that it was even a remote possibility. You learn somethign new every day.

I didn't either, can someone show me somone asking please.

initial thought is that they are marketing it, as if to say we have gears and you don't.  It is one of the few exclusive games, of quality that microsoft have annouced so far for this year, and them saying this would get them plenty of intention, and draw attention away from all the exclusives the ps3 has.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

Chairman-Mao said:

1. Microsoft really needs exclusives. If they lose Gears...(in this year and possibly the future) they'll have nothing exclusive of note.

2. Gears is associated at the hip with MIcrosoft. Sony has too many games.

here a easy answer i could of told u that since 2005 when epic was working with microsoft  for gears of war lmao

jarrod said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Microsoft's already likely done the "payment".   I'd agree though, 3rd party exclusives only really make sense when they're being subsidized by the hardware maker... which Gears 1-3 undoubtedly were.

Agreed, They definitely paid for Gears to be exclusive. 

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

SCE didn't fund FFVII, or work on it directly.  Same deal as Microsoft and NG2, they just picked it up for overseas release and a threw it a gigantic moneyhat / advertising campaign.

Also, remake = / = port.

SCE Published the game (And hugely advertised it) in NA and Europe, didn't they? I'd call that working on it directly.

But judging by what you said, you also think it's possible for a Gears of War Collection to appear on PS3? It wont be a Port, it wont be Gears 1, 2 or 3. It will be a seperate release. Yes?

If Epic Games want to do it. They can.

I'm talking creation.  As in a development capacity.  There were Microsoft staff developing Gears 1-3.  Sony staff weren't developing FFVII.  Microsoft funded development for Gears 1-3.  Sony didn't fund development for FFVII.  There's a pretty clear difference here, one was intrinsically involved in creation of the game, the other wasn't.

It's the same story for Sony with the PS1 Crash and Spyro games, or recently with Heavy Rain.  That's why they strike good parallels with Gears 1-3 (or Shadow Complex btw) and games like FFVII or NG2 don't.  Owning the IP isn't necessarily owning the game, that's in large part why the Nintendo/Rare split was so messy, to the point where they can't even work out a Goldeneye reissue today.

Gears 1-3 won't appear on PS3 (or any PlayStation, ever) in any way, shape or form.  A Gears game could, maybe even Gears 4, but not 1-3.  

There are a lot of things incorrect here.