By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Supreme Commander on Xbox360

Nighteyes_1981 said:
Legend11 said:

It definitely looks like crap, I would have assumed they were screenshots from a Wii game by looking at them. Then again I keep hearing how "beautiful" the game looks on PC and was surprised to see screens like this:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/755/755287/img_4337439.html

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/755/755287/img_4337446.html

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/755/755287/img_4337449.html

The game is still in beta so hopefully the graphics improve before it's released.  Oh and I'm not surprised someone basically copied this bashing/trolling thread from NeoGAF, I'm just surprised it was Bodhesatva.

You should go to the official website (www.supremecommander.com) if you want to see shot of the game running on a system capable of handling it. 

What's wrong with using IGN's screenshots?  Pics from there are being used  to bash the 360 version of the game (from what appears to be a beta no less) yet suddenly for the PC version of the game we have to go to a different website?

Oh and for the record I know what the pics on their official website look like, I was just pointing out that there are pics on IGN's site of the PC version that show it in a poor light which may end up being the case with the 360.

Around the Network

becouse the pc's have different specs the 360 hasn't. Are you that stupid??

Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Parokki said:
I haven't tried it myself, but I understand the game doesn't look that impressive as far as graphics are concerned. It's taxing on horsepower, but mostly due to the sheer amount of stuff happening at once.

How on Earth a game like this is supposed to be played on a console, that's what I can't figure out.

This is the correct reason: number of units on screen at any given time can easily surpass 400 in my experience. While I assume the (eventual?) Crysis ports will be another example, we have our first instance of 360/PS3's inferior tech specs limiting their capacity for next-generation games.

Next time, let's have more than 512 MB of RAM please, because I've had 2 GB of DDR2 RAM for years now (and actually upgraded to 4 GB earlier this year).

So 512MB isn't enough for you but the Wii's 88MB is? Since you're bashing the 360/PS3's "inferior tech" limiting "their capacity for next-generation games" I'm curious, tell us what you think of the Wii's tech. Is the Wii's hardware limiting it's capacity for next-generation games?

Yes, they are all inferior tech. If the goal is to make the absolute best possible game, technically and graphically, then none of these systems are acceptable. They are all behind the times.

As soon as anything is released it's behind the times. No surprise that a 2-year old console is now getting behind the times.

That's why I find it odd that Sony says the PS3 will be around for 10 years. Tech will be totally outdated in 10 years. Think of what we were using 10 years ago from now. 

I have never played a console RTS, and can't think of any reason that I would want to, but I definitely think the RTS genre as a whole has become pretty stale. World in Conflict and Company of Heroes are pretty good, but they are hardly taking gameplay leaps over previous games. The only strategy games that really stand out are Civ & Total War, and they aren't RTS. I'm interested to see what the Civ console game will turn out like though, and Multiwinia may just rekindle my love for the RTS genre.

Bodhesatva said:

Legend, we can discuss this another time, I think, because I played unfair here and I don't want to fight. You were absolutely correct that I posted this to scratch a personal itch, and that isn't very kind of me. As I said, it's a serious pet peeve that has seen me go super saiyan / ballistic in a couple of threads before.

I apologize again. The whole PS3-and-360-are-art argument really, really bothers me, clearly. It's my fault for letting subtext get in the way.

Nobody claimed consoles were state of the art, they don't have the luxury that PCs have of being able to put out new hardware every year and have some games that play extremely poorly on older hardware.  When someone buys a 360 or PS3 they expect to be able to play the same games on it that will perform the same way as someone who buys the console 4 years from now.

Around the Network

Awesome, I will buy this game... right after I'm done with Cruis'n. I don't think this qualifies as a troll thread, the screenshots look like crap, anyone can see that.

I don't understand this artistic aspirations vs financial gain discussion: the artistic style looks absolutely hideous (on any platform), and if it looks as bad as these screenshots indicate it's not going to make much money on the 360.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Legend11 said:

Do you hate consoles? The reason I'm asking is because if the specs on the higher end consoles aren't enough then it's obvious the lower end ones are even worse for you. If that is the case why are you even on a videogame website pretty much dedicated to console videogames?

No this game would look gorgeous on the Wii.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
Legend11 said:

Do you hate consoles? The reason I'm asking is because if the specs on the higher end consoles aren't enough then it's obvious the lower end ones are even worse for you. If that is the case why are you even on a videogame website pretty much dedicated to console videogames?

No this game would look gorgeous on the Wii.

Are you talking about comparatively speaking from what's already come out on the Wii or are you saying this game (if it came out on the Wii) will look gorgeous going up against one of the real power houses?

I don't get why people even try to put RTS on console games.

To me if feels like playing baseball with a soccerball.