By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Supreme Commander on Xbox360

Soriku said:
It looks like some low-end GC (maybe PS2) game...

You apparently forget what low-end GC and especially PS2 games looked like.  This is a low-end 360 game.  It's oversimplified, the textures suck...but there's still shininess, higher resolution, as well as the many units onscreen.

A lot of PCs can play this game fine, but when there's a TON of units onscreen, it takes a higher PC to play it well.  That's why this 360 version is toned down into the crap zone.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Soriku said:
It looks like some low-end GC (maybe PS2) game...

You apparently forget what low-end GC and especially PS2 games looked like. This is a low-end 360 game. It's oversimplified, the textures suck...but there's still shininess, higher resolution, as well as the many units onscreen.

A lot of PCs can play this game fine, but when there's a TON of units onscreen, it takes a higher PC to play it well. That's why this 360 version is toned down into the crap zone.

Like so many other mediocre PC games they think that if they port it to a console they can re-coup some of their losses.

Parokki said:
I haven't tried it myself, but I understand the game doesn't look that impressive as far as graphics are concerned. It's taxing on horsepower, but mostly due to the sheer amount of stuff happening at once.

How on Earth a game like this is supposed to be played on a console, that's what I can't figure out.

This is the correct reason: number of units on screen at any given time can easily surpass 400 in my experience. While I assume the (eventual?) Crysis ports will be another example, we have our first instance of 360/PS3's inferior tech specs limiting their capacity for next-generation games. 

Next time, let's have more than 512 MB of RAM please, because I've had 2 GB of DDR2 RAM for years now (and actually upgraded to 4 GB earlier this year).  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

OnlyIsrael said:
This is such a tired genre. I'm just waiting for the Bratz RTS "Mall Wars!'

The RTS genre is tired? Wow, you have an odd perspective. They may release 5-6 RTS a year. How many FPS were released this year? How many action games? How many platformers? Here, I'll give you a challenge: name 5 RTS games released this year. For comparison, I'll name you a list of FPS from this year:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Metroid Prime 3
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Soldier of Fortune: Payback
BlackSite: Area 51
Timeshift
Quake Wars

And I'm SURE I'm missing several, but that should be a start.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:

The RTS genre is tired? Wow, you have an odd perspective. They may release 5-6 RTS a year. How many FPS were released this year? How many action games? How many platformers? Here, I'll give you a challenge: name 5 RTS games released this year. For comparison, I'll name you a list of FPS from this year:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Timeshift
Quake Wars

I don't know how I could care less but I'm sure there's a way. BTW saying I think it's tired doesn't have anything to do with how many come out ever year; I just feel like its the same game I'm playing over and over again and it's been that way for me since Warcraft 2 and most FPS are the same for me as well. Just sick of the genre in genreal  

Around the Network
OnlyIsrael said:
Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Timeshift
Quake Wars

I don't know how I could care less but I'm sure there's a way. BTW saying I think it's tired doesn't have anything to do with how many come out ever year; I just feel like its the same game I'm playing over and over again and it's been that way for me since Warcraft 2 and most FPS are the same for me as well. Just sick of the genre in genreal

Then I'm not sure your phrasing is particularly appropriate: you don't like the RTS genre (or, apparently, the FPS genre). Lots of us do, and there certainly has been a continuous evolution of tech trees and the focus on micromanagement. If it isn't for you, no problem, but save the "tired" talk for genres that are getting massively exploited, which RTS are not. 

Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:
Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Timeshift
Quake Wars

Then I'm not sure your phrasing is particularly appropriate: you don't like the RTS genre (or, apparently, the FPS genre). Lots of us do, and there certainly has been a continuous evolution of tech trees and the focus on micromanagement. If it isn't for you, no problem, but save the "tired" talk for genres that are getting massively exploited, which RTS are not.

According to you. And the us stuff is classic, do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Tsk tsk (twist, twist) Did I say I didn't like it, no, I said I think its tired. There are some awsome FPS and RTS games out there, I own some of them. But until Developers stop vomiting out the assembly line crap it will stay a tired genre (but thats more a symptom of the buisness than anything else, the great games create a formula that gets regurgitated into bad games adnauseum). RTS is tired, FPS is an old nag one trip away from the glue factory. I will continue to buy great games that look fun to me. The game you posted about looks more like barfware than GoTY. Sorry if you don't like my opinion and all but, well, too bad.

RTS is tired - one more time just for good measure. Welcome to freedom of speech.

So what was that about the 360 being a PC substitute?

Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3
Portal

Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Timeshift
Quake Wars

never includewhat I bolded, there can be 100000 FPS games out and those games will always be diamonds in the black sea.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:
OnlyIsrael said:

Halo 3
Darkness
Call of Duty 4
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3
Portal

Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Crysis
Timeshift
Quake Wars

never includewhat I bolded, there can be 100000 FPS games out and those games will always be diamonds in the black sea.

Sorry, Clarification: I was talking about Supreme Commander, and I agree Orange Box is awsome (Haven't played UT3)