By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - X360 only 630k more units than PS3 for the whole of 2007

Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR 4, Mass Effect, Bioshock. And lets look at the PS3 exclusives like Lair (Already off to a bad start), HS, R&C, Uncharted and Warhawk. Of those PS3 games, how many have sold a million?

I'm sorry but convince me that the 360 will have a better year than this year. Too Human is not a system seller. (DMC 4 for 360 will sell more in my opinion) and the known IP's have no resonable timeframe to release. IMO no 360 exclusive next year combined will sell as much as Halo 3.

Didja get that thing I sentcha?

Around the Network

the PS3 sold faster then the 360 in it's first 1 year 2 months... thats quite a feet. Sony is doing quite well for the consoles they are up against and they have shown they are willing to bleed some to be successful in the end.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Dodece said:
Perception is a two sided coin, and every console develops a perception within its first year. A console develops a great reputation or a poor reputation. Unfortunately the PS3 had to cement a reputation against one console with a year long head start, and against the phenomena that is the Wii. The result its reputation has suffered greatly.

Perhaps it is unjust, but it is often a immutable fact a reputation once earned is hard to change. Nintendo got branded kiddie for two generations solid. The 360 is labeled the FPS machine. The PS3 is labeled the magnificent failure. Your first year like virginity once gone can never truly be recovered. Forever it taints consumer opinion.

Sony and their PS3 are not done struggling yet, and they have plundered the cupboards bare just to survive this year. When you see a console slash its price by a third, offer massive movie pack ins, offer game bundles, and do hardware reconfigurations on the fly. Well you cannot fault the effort that has brought them this far, but realistically you have to accept there is nothing left.

Which is something every poster in this thread has forgotten Sony has primed PS3 sales through a non stop glut of stunts. One after another allowing them to spike sales with some new pitch be it a sale. The fear of losing backwards compatibility in your PS3. The movie offers seem less appealing when you realize high definition formats are languishing in stalemate. They can only offer so many free games before developers grow upset with lost sales, and so forth.

How can Sony keep the sales up, or generate spikes as was the order of business this year if they have effectively backed themselves into a corner. Not only that but counter the negative impression the market has developed towards their product. How many gamers opt to buy into the losing platform. Intelligent gamers know the lead platform gets more support. They know the last place platform isn't going to get the best in support. Simple intelligence tells you to bet on a winner rather then the longshot if you want the better return.

I might be the only one in this thread to say this, and I might get a lot of grief for it. However I must say it I actually expect the PS3 to languish next year more so then this year. The market has made its decision, and it decided the PS3 was going to be a distant third place player this generation. They obtained no level of dominance in any market, and honestly the lineup is just too late in the game to change the outcome. I have seen consoles turn on strong for their second years only to fall on deaf ears. A few good games are not going to change gamer opinion of this console. The longer it takes for those games to arrive the worse the result.

Finally both Nintendo and Microsoft leave this year in a far better position to capitalize on their gains. Microsoft has a lot more room financially to work in. They can make fantastic strides in lowering the price of their machine, or use their new liquid assets to secure a mountain of exclusive games. Nintendo likewise has a lot of liquid assets to invest in game development, and to secure exclusive games. Both saw a hot holiday season in North America, and both dominated the media. The Nintendo hype was fantastic, and Microsoft has done a stellar job owning year end rewards.

Nintendo and Microsoft will leave this year having made a point, and having won a lot of converts. That really isn't the case for Sony. All they managed to do was survive, and honestly it took everything they had to do so. Gamers are going to be very reluctant to jump onto the PS3 platform especially considering the expensive risk that it is. Especially once supplies of the Wii are freed up, and the 360 is making a run towards a more affordable price.

Just my two cents.

makes alot of sense as I look at those European and Japanese figures for MS /sarcasm.

Whether Sony bleeds more money is going to depend on how its other departments are doing. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Peter Potamus said:
Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR 4, Mass Effect, Bioshock. And lets look at the PS3 exclusives like Lair (Already off to a bad start), HS, R&C, Uncharted and Warhawk. Of those PS3 games, how many have sold a million?

I'm sorry but convince me that the 360 will have a better year than this year. Too Human is not a system seller. (DMC 4 for 360 will sell more in my opinion) and the known IP's have no resonable timeframe to release. IMO no 360 exclusive next year combined will sell as much as Halo 3.

The only real reason the PS is in the running in the first place is the brand. Oh, you can see from attach rates that many of the *AAA* titles failed to ignite a flame under buyers. Now, the 40gb is humming along and folks are proclaiming success. Sweetness - but let's see how things are going in February/March - and see if the PS3 (and even the 360) is going to maintain and cut into the 360's lead. And ... as far as a better year? One acryonym ...

GTA IV - and the both the episodic content and the EXTRA episodic content that's only available on the 360 will make a huge difference.

ssj12 said:
the PS3 sold faster then the 360 in it's first 1 year 2 months... thats quite a feet. Sony is doing quite well for the consoles they are up against and they have shown they are willing to bleed some to be successful in the end.

I got my 360 in April of 2006 - it was the first 360 I could find in stores after launch. There was a severe drought as far as 360s being available. No so much with the PS3. I saw a PS3 2 weeks after Black Friday. That's impress that the PS3 can manage the same sales as 360s that were extinct 4 to 5 months after launch.

They will end up bleeding a lot to become successful - maybe into the next-gen before they see some success. 

Around the Network
Peter Potamus said:

I love posts like these, where fans of a particular system will actually argue AGAINST their own platform as a way of saying that next year's sales will be better. "The other guy's console had ____ awesome games come out last year, and they've got nothing good on the horizon. Whereas my system's games were terrible, so when ____ games come out next year, sales will go through the roof!" Where else would you see Sony fans talking about the greatness of Halo and Forza, while downplaying Heavenly Sword and Uncharted? What a reversal!

This is really a variation on a common theme we see all the time on these sales forums. Fans of a given console build up ___ game before release to be the second coming of Jesus, then when it debuts to mediocre sales, immediately respond by saying, "I never expected it to sell anyway." It's absolutely hilarious.  And I'm not trying to pick on Peter Potamus or Sony in general; ALL console fans are guilty of this. See Metroid Prime 3, Ratchet and Clank, and any 360 JRPG for recent examples.

On topic, as I said before, expect the consoles to sell about what they did this year in 2008. Anyone expecting sales to double for any platform, or even increase by more than a third, should expect to be disappointed.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

commom sense people........360 officially outsold the PS3 for TWO years in a row. Don't give the "bu bu but the PS3 wasn't released until nov. 2006" deal because you only have Sony to blame.

and guess what? 360 has been out for two years and has only dropped its price by $50! You can tell they are gonna drop a lot of money off the 360 in 2008. So don't worry, Sony will have their hands full in 08, you can quote me on that.

Sullla said:
Peter Potamus said:

I love posts like these, where fans of a particular system will actually argue AGAINST their own platform as a way of saying that next year's sales will be better. "The other guy's console had ____ awesome games come out last year, and they've got nothing good on the horizon. Whereas my system's games were terrible, so when ____ games come out next year, sales will go through the roof!" Where else would you see Sony fans talking about the greatness of Halo and Forza, while downplaying Heavenly Sword and Uncharted? What a reversal!

This is really a variation on a common theme we see all the time on these sales forums. Fans of a given console build up ___ game before release to be the second coming of Jesus, then when it debuts to mediocre sales, immediately respond by saying, "I never expected it to sell anyway." It's absolutely hilarious. And I'm not trying to pick on Peter Potamus or Sony in general; ALL console fans are guilty of this. See Metroid Prime 3, Ratchet and Clank, and any 360 JRPG for recent examples.

On topic, as I said before, expect the consoles to sell about what they did this year in 2008. Anyone expecting sales to double for any platform, or even increase by more than a third, should expect to be disappointed.

Please quote me on how I thought that Uncharted, HS, Lair, Warhawk and R&C would be complete successes. Oh, you can't? Oh, well. Maybe next time, you can prove that I said these things about MGS4 or FFXIII, and maybe I'll be wrong. And I doubt that, why?

Of all of the PS3 games I have mentioned, how many were sequels to million selling franchises? One. How many from the 360? Three, and one being one of the highest selling XBox games of all time. All i'm saying is when you put unproven IP's against IP's that have shown in the past they can sell very well, advantage almost always goes to the proven IP's. I never said that the 360 line up would be weak, but compare it to 07, there's no comparison.

madskillz said:
Peter Potamus said:

The only real reason the PS is in the running in the first place is the brand. Oh, you can see from attach rates that many of the *AAA* titles failed to ignite a flame under buyers. Now, the 40gb is humming along and folks are proclaiming success. Sweetness - but let's see how things are going in February/March - and see if the PS3 (and even the 360) is going to maintain and cut into the 360's lead. And ... as far as a better year? One acryonym ...

GTA IV - and the both the episodic content and the EXTRA episodic content that's only available on the 360 will make a huge difference.

No it won't. Why? You still have to pay for it. It's not free. If it was included in the game at no extra cost, it would sway the last gen consumer. Those features are great if you already own a 360. But the consumer won't be fooled when he has to spend $60 for a game, $250 + for the system, $50 for XBox live gold, then when the content is finally out, they have to spend $15 for both episodes. It will make a difference, but not a big one.

Hey, what happen with the "40gig is gimped, no one will buy it! No BC means no sale!" comments?  I heard a lot of those in the past.

You don't need XBox Live Gold to download content. And anyone who thinks the 360 is still going to be the same price it is today on the release date for GTA4 is fooling themselves.