By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - X360 only 630k more units than PS3 for the whole of 2007

Sqrl said:
krik said:
mrstickball said:
I (ironically) have to agree with eugene.

The X360 won't be slowing down next year. The PS3 was *supposed* to sell 5m units on no games at $500-600. Sony has had to drop the price twice, because sales have been so ungodly abysmal.

In the same timeframe of the PS2, the PS3 has floundered, horribly. It took a $200 pricedrop to even get it close to the X360.

The question is if people will buy the PS3 @ $400 throughout next year or not.

$200 price drop? I fail to see this. It launched at $500/$600 and now it's at $400/$500. This is a $100 price drop anyway you look at it.

LMFAO!! I remember PS3 fans arguing against this logic earlier this year and now its the other way! This was a pretty big point of contention for a lot of folks so you'll have to pardon me while I get my kicks at the sudden reversal of position.

At least you have it right now~

@Topic,

I do believe the PS3 will have a better year in '08 than it did in '07, but I don't for a second believe that it will double its sales. Big releases, the new price point, and a decent holiday performance will imo propel it to an aproximate 17% year over year increase in sales which based on my projections should equate to around 9m units for the calendar year.

When didn't I have it right? Are you confusing me with someone else?

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network
Sullla said:
krik said:

We all consider 2007 to be a big failure for the PS3 but with a $500-600 price for 10 months out of the year and "no games" (360 owners want us to believe this one, rofl) it's amazing to see that the 360 could only sell a mere 10% more for a full year.

This is really pretty disingenous. The topic creator is essentially saying, "since the PS3 was only outsold by the 360 by 10% in 2007, it's guaranteed to outsell the 360 in 2008!" Stop and think about that for a minute. The argument is that because the PS3 didn't lose "too badly" this year, it's definitely going to win next year. Sorry, but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon...

No, I was actually saying that with a much higher price and no games it come pretty close to the 360 with all the AAA games and rave game reviews. This means that the PS3 with more games and a lower price will do better than the 360 next year. Not because it had a bad year but because it IMO it was a pretty good year considering all the adversities (price/games).

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

They cut the price 200$. When the year started, ps3 was 600$ - the 20gig sku had minimal presence, the bulk of sales were at 600$. Nowadays they don't even make the higher priced skus, everything coming from the factory is the 40gig, at 400$. Once the remaining stock is over all ps3 will be sold 200$ below it's launch price.

Anyways, you talk a lot of crap about mgs4, lbp, kz2, etc... all bull. The only two games that matter in 2008 for the ps3 as far as moving harware are GTA4 and GT5. Maybe KZ2.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

....And it's the typical group of pro-PS3 owners that make absurd claims that the PS3 only dropped $100, that the PS3 is going to double sales this year, that 07 was the X360's best year and won't do better next year, ect, ect, ect.

What exactly are the reasons the PS3 will do so great, and the X360 do so bad? The X360 has the same quality lineup in 2008 as the PS3. The X360 has the advantage of easily being able to drop the price atleast $50 next year, whereas the PS3 does not.

Care to post something insightful that will justify the PS3 selling 10m+ units next year?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
....And it's the typical group of pro-PS3 owners that make absurd claims that the PS3 only dropped $100, that the PS3 is going to double sales this year, that 07 was the X360's best year and won't do better next year, ect, ect, ect.

What exactly are the reasons the PS3 will do so great, and the X360 do so bad? The X360 has the same quality lineup in 2008 as the PS3. The X360 has the advantage of easily being able to drop the price atleast $50 next year, whereas the PS3 does not.

Care to post something insightful that will justify the PS3 selling 10m+ units next year?

this is coming from the same group of people that said the ps3 wouldnt sell 7 million this year... oh look its already at 8 mil staring 9 in the face..... if it sold 8 mil this year what makes anyone think it cant reach 15 or 16 next year which i might remind you the 360 is at right now...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

im not sayin that its gonna blow the 360 out of the water..im just sayin youd be delusional to underestimate it just because it didnt sell 20 million its first year just off the success of the ps2....

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

mrstickball said:

They may do 10+ million in 2008, but 360 will do 14+ then....  PS3 will fall behind another 4 million units.

Being that the XBox 360 is effectively shut out of one of the major markets in the world (Japan) outselling the PS3 by 630,000 units is a pretty major victory; when you look at how the XBox 360 (almost) outsold the PS3 by 1.5 Million units outside of Japan, and now has an 8.5 Million unit lead outside of Japan, it becomes clear which platform (out of the two) that western developers will be focusing their efforts on in the near future.

Beyond that, both systems had price reductions and reasonably strong software line-ups and yet failed to sell at that impressive of a rate; until they fall below $200 they will be (effectively) locked out of the mainstream market.

krik said:
CTifer said:
andrewpeirce said:
IF microsft doeBs an $100 price cut across the board and has an $180 core arcade system, PS3's momentum should fall off.

If they got that cheap, I would just see more PS3 fans picking up a 360 because of the low price.

$180 Xbox? I don't see that happening anytime soon, not next year for sure.

I expect MS to drop price mid-2008 but I think Sony will follow suit pretty fast. They will not sit down and see their console go down the drain. They have too much money on the line to let it happen. For Sony it's better to lose $50 more on each console than to slow down sales.

But I don't think either MS or Sony will drop the price a full $100 across all models though. Maybe $50 on the low end and $100 on the high end but that's all. This would put PS3 at $350-$400 and the 360 at $230-$350.

But just how far are they willing to go? Sony was losing money with their $600 version as it was, can they really afford even more price cuts?

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

URNotE said:
mrstickball said:

this is coming from the same group of people that said the ps3 wouldnt sell 7 million this year... oh look its already at 8 mil staring 9 in the face..... if it sold 8 mil this year what makes anyone think it cant reach 15 or 16 next year which i might remind you the 360 is at right now...

Yeap, you are right, the PS3 already past the 7 million, but with two price cuts, 4 models, and a couple of packs, nobody took this in account in would knew this in january...

edit: Nobody was expecting this from sony in the first year...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."