By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 1.8m wii's a month, what to do with them?

nintendo have increased production to huge levels and while i dont doubt they can sell them all (and a shitload more) this month and probably january too (all the people who couldnt get one for xmas), surely they cant sell all that many in the slower months of next year ( they were only selling a million or so for most of this year) so the question is what will they do with all the extra machines?

thoughts please

Around the Network

China...

I believe the 1.8mil a month production was only for the holiday season and will return to normal after. They just announce 1.8mil a month a long time ago because it takes time to ramp up production.

end said:
I believe the 1.8mil a month production was only for the holiday season and will return to normal after. They just announce 1.8mil a month a long time ago because it takes time to ramp up production.

Actually they said the opposite.

The answers are:

- China

- Wii Fit

- Price cut (if needed)

- Worst case, returning to lower production levels

My prediction is that they'll sell 1.8 million per month just fine, even without accounting for China.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Maybe the 1.8 million will mean that stores will actually be able to increase the size of their Wii section to be able to include not just the accessories, but the consoles as well. People might actually be able to BUY a Wii console next year.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

They already announced they will continue making 1.8mil/month until the end of their fiscal year at which time they will decide what to do. That means Jan and Feb for certain. I think it also meant March, but could be remembering wrong about March.

My guess is that with plans of starting to sell in China next year, they will need to increase production again.

jlauro said:

My guess is that with plans of starting to sell in China next year, they will need to increase production again.

I agree and here's why:

Remember that they postponed China/Korea's launch? It's probably because they figured that supply would be too low if they were pumping 1.8 million units per month to PAL/NA/JPN/China+Korea. It's just too little supply for those 4 groups of countries.

NJ5 said:
jlauro said:

I agree and here's why:

Remember that they postponed China/Korea's launch? It's probably because they figured that supply would be too low if they were pumping 1.8 million units per month to PAL/NA/JPN/China+Korea. It's just too little supply for those 4 groups of countries.

I was thinking the same thing! So when exactly does the Wii launch in China and Korea?

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Xeo_842 said:
NJ5 said:
jlauro said:

I agree and here's why:

I was thinking the same thing! So when exactly does the Wii launch in China and Korea?

As far as I remember, it was originally planned for Spring, but then postponed to late 2008 (Fall?). They also said that they want to have specific software for China, which probably played a part in the delay too.

I was trying to find sources but for some reason I'm not managing to.

@Grey

I thought you were unbiased?

On topic:

You will be suprised come february.

mM