By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game Informer gossip - Nintendo working on next console already?

Yeah. Of Course. N6 is currently Iwata's pet project. Just like N5 was back in 2004.

You can count on "N6" to be release 2012 or so.

Snesboy

Around the Network

I remember hearing about Nintendo planning on releasing their console first when talking about the Gamecube, and then the Wii. And then they say it's coming soon, and then they say the release date is not so important...

kuraobi said:
I remember hearing about Nintendo planning on releasing their console first when talking about the Gamecube, and then the Wii. And then they say it's coming soon, and then they say the release date is not so important...
 He's right as well. 

Tingly, orgasmic feeling in my chest.....somebody mentioned a new Nintendo system, didn't they?

This comes as absolutly no suprise to me. Nintendo never stops developing their next consoles are usually deep in development before their new machines are even released.

Infact Miyamoto had refered to Nintendo's next console featuring full HD support for the next generation. That indicates that Nintendo is already deep in development.

So why launching first next time round?

Nintendo usually has the cheapest prices, this in this generation meant poor graphical capability. Next generation I'd bet Nintendo will go for two to three times the proccessing power of PS3 and everything will be HD-compatable. However the competition usually goes to thew ten or twelve times more powerful or higher. Nintendo will also likely choose a disc format based on which format wins the war HD-DVD/BluRay. That way launching first will give them a major advantage over the last generation machines allowing them to quickly make gains.

Using innovation Nintendo won't need to rely soully on the hardcore gaming demographic. The demographic that often waits to see its choices. Instead Casual gamers and early adopters will enable Nintendo to ship large quantities of hardware very fast.

The downside Sony will no doubt see what Nintendo has done and copy everything. So if Nintendo doesn't hold something back (Maybe a graphic's enhancer) Sony could produce a higher end knock-off and call it PS4! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

No company stops after launching a console; their R&D department is constantly working on the next hardware. You can be certain that the successor to the DS is almost ready in design and specifications (although it may launch in 2+ years) and the successor to the Wii is already in talk.

starting development is almost assured. that doesn't mean the final design looks anything like what they are developing at this moment.

if i had to make a prediction, i'd say MS is the first out of the gate again. Their system won't age as well as the ps3 for the hardcore graphic whores, and nintendo's audience won't about graphic prowlness enough to rush to a next generation.

Do you think they fire their R&D teams in between development cycles or something ? Of course they are always working on the next the console. That is just common sense and I'm sure Sony and MS have already begun as well.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I am sure Nintendo's next console will be HD capable but I doubt it will be more powerful than the 360. I think Nintendo's focus is on the interface or controller not the power of the hardware. The massive success of the Wii, I am sure, has reinforced that philosophy.

I don't expect to see the next Wii until 2011 at the earliest.

the next nintendo system will most certainly be more powerful than the 360 cuz by then the technology will be cheap enough to make a system with advanced motion controls, hardware more powerful than the 360/ps3 (although probably only slightly more powerful) and sell it for 250 again.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy