By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So, Let's Talk PS3 Mass Effect 2 Sales

I remember saying they were going to be terrible a few weeks ago and it looks like I was right. I think Torillian (I could be wrong) told me it would leg its way to a million, but I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:

There is till an unknown number of digital sales to consider, although i doubt it will be very high.

i don't think the port was too expensive. they probably worked on a multiplat version from the getgo anyway.

i suppose they always knew it would realease on the PS3 they just could not disclose it for the duration of the timed exclusive contract.

i wonder how much money they got for timed exclusivity. in the end microsoft might have payed for the PS3 version

I am assuming you are joking. When Bioware was indepedent it was their choice to be exclusive, EA brought it multiplat so EA in fact paid for it to come to the ps3... just saying

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AussieGecko said:
Porcupine_I said:

There is till an unknown number of digital sales to consider, although i doubt it will be very high.

i don't think the port was too expensive. they probably worked on a multiplat version from the getgo anyway.

i suppose they always knew it would realease on the PS3 they just could not disclose it for the duration of the timed exclusive contract.

i wonder how much money they got for timed exclusivity. in the end microsoft might have payed for the PS3 version

I am assuming you are joking. When Bioware was indepedent it was their choice to be exclusive, EA brought it multiplat so EA in fact paid for it to come to the ps3... just saying

Source please.

Mass Effect was MS paid exclusive not "Bioware loves the 360" exclusive. Bioware was already in EA when ME 2 was released so why wasn't it released on PS3 as well? Reason: Timed exclusivity.

Same thing with ME 1, it was a timed 360 exclusive and then put on the PC. So his point of using the timed exclusivity funds as a PS port fund still remains. Unless you can disprove it.

mantlepiecek said:

Source please.

Mass Effect was MS paid exclusive not "Bioware loves the 360" exclusive. Bioware was already in EA when ME 2 was released so why wasn't it released on PS3 as well? Reason: Timed exclusivity.

Same thing with ME 1, it was a timed 360 exclusive and then put on the PC. So his point of using the timed exclusivity funds as a PS port fund still remains. Unless you can disprove it.

Source that they paid, until then it was their choice

also he made the claim so the onus is on him

Darth Tigris said:
Reasonable said:

I think the sales are okay for the circumstances.  ME2 couldn't have cost much to port and clearly they took the route of developing ME3 (and the version of Unreal under it) for PS3/360.  ME2 on PS3 just takes the content and drops it into the ME3 engine on the PS3.

Politically I think EA wanted it on PS3 and so long as it breaks even (which I'm sure it will) they'll be fine.  ME3 wil do better and overall EA will see more money across both consoles.

ME is a strange situation beacause I don't think it was ever timed or otherwise going to hit PS3 without the EA buyout, and because ME1 was restricted to 360 it was always going to be an odd move.

This kind of situation is why I wish MS would invest a bit more in their own studios for big titles.  There's nothing wrong with partnering of course as a business model - but it does increase the odds of this kind of haphazard change of direction for a franchise.

It's just so expensive, though, to go that route this late in a generation.  The cost to pay for such large staff full time would be extensive, especially considering the economic situation that has hovered over the world this gen.

Also, MS never would've paid for Bioware the way EA did.  EA wanted SW:TOR, which they're hoping is their WoW.  MS has proven that they just don't want to sink that kind of money into the risky MMO market.  Really nothing they could've done about the ME situation that would've been cost effective for them outside of what we've seen.

It would be nice to know how much the port (or heck, the games themselves) cost Bioware to develop.  Unlike movies, games aren't near as transparent with that information.

I know, but what it means is that MS is often exposed to the risk of loss of exclusives, particularly now when globally, most popular titles sell roughly the same on each console.  For most developers this means multi is the safest route to go.  I don't mean MS has to own the studios outright, but it should engage in deals where it owns the IP fully and the developer is just developing it.  That way they keep control.

The whole 'sorta exclusive' is just a weak position to be in IMHO.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

I know, but what it means is that MS is often exposed to the risk of loss of exclusives, particularly now when globally, most popular titles sell roughly the same on each console.  For most developers this means multi is the safest route to go.  I don't mean MS has to own the studios outright, but it should engage in deals where it owns the IP fully and the developer is just developing it.  That way they keep control.

The whole 'sorta exclusive' is just a weak position to be in IMHO.

Its either the case with Gears or Epic just really loves MS.

The thing is MS thought that owning just Mass Effect was enough... Ninja Gaiden is the same.... hmm Mass Effect Sigma anyone? haha

AussieGecko said:
mantlepiecek said:

Source please.

Source that they paid, until then it was their choice

also he made the claim so the onus is on him

If they didn't pay them, then they had a contract of some sort. Either way, how do you explain the late port of ME 2? The only way a rational person could explain that is Microsoft had a perfect 1 year exclusivity contract with Bioware(Jan 2010 - Jan 2011) and it ended and its released.

Same thing happens with Call of Duty map packs; give me a source where they say MS pays Activision. It is common sense that they pay. 

mantlepiecek said:

If they didn't pay them, then they had a contract of some sort. Either way, how do you explain the late port of ME 2? The only way a rational person could explain that is Microsoft had a perfect 1 year exclusivity contract with Bioware(Jan 2010 - Jan 2011) and it ended and its released.

Same thing happens with Call of Duty map packs; give me a source where they say MS pays Activision. It is common sense that they pay. 

that is completely and utterly different. ME2 wasnt released straight away imo because they had to figure out how to get passed the whole pesky MS owning Mass Effect 1 license thing haha

AussieGecko said:
mantlepiecek said:

that is completely and utterly different. ME2 wasnt released straight away imo because they had to figure out how to get passed the whole pesky MS owning Mass Effect 1 license thing haha

That's impossible. 1 year to make a comic? Or to even think of that solution?

It is running on ME 3 engine, and not on ME 2 engine like the 360 version. Its obvious that they knew they had a lot of time for the PS3 release, so not only did they work on their engine in the given time, they used the newer engine for the PS3 version along with the 15 minute comic.

They would have released the game earlier on the PS3 if it was just the comic thing.

mantlepiecek said:

That's impossible. 1 year to make a comic? Or to even think of that solution?

It is running on ME 3 engine, and not on ME 2 engine like the 360 version. Its obvious that they knew they had a lot of time for the PS3 release, so not only did they work on their engine in the given time, they used the newer engine for the PS3 version along with the 15 minute comic.

They would have released the game earlier on the PS3 if it was just the comic thing.

I disagree its a very story oriented game but either way.

Lets agree to disagree :)