By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Netflix look better on some consoles than other consoles?

Does Netflix look better on some consoles than other consoles?

Looks better on the Xbox 360 45 33.58%

Looks better on the PS3 47 35.07%

Looks better on the Wii 14 10.45%

They all look the same 28 20.90%

Total:134

So I watch a lot of Netflix.  It doesn't matter if what I'm watching is good or not, I just watch it.  Case in point-- I've been marathoning GrEEk.  If Netflix had achievements or trophies, I'd easily have a platinum on my PS3 and 1000/1000 on the 360.  I'm a Netflix fiend and regardless I love the service on all the consoles.

Anyways, now that I finally hooked up my Logitech controller dongle thing to my PS3 Slim, my 360 isn't my only Netflix machine anymore.  Since I use multiple Xbox's at home, I keep my profile and saves on a USB stick.  That means if I feel like watching Netflix and my USB stick happens to be at my other 360, I just use one of my PS3's to watch Netflix.  Yay!

But lately I've noticed something and I'm not sure if it's in my head or not.  On one of my consoles, Netflix looks noticeably better.  On one, I get a crystal clear picture, the other I definitely notice the lesser quality picture with the compression marks.  The 360 and PS3 connected to my nice 120Hz 40" 1080p TV are both connected by Ethernet and the 360 and PS3 connected to the 60Hz 32" 1080p TV in my home office connect using wireless. 

On both TV's, I can always tell which console I'm using to watch Netflix on even though they both have similar hookups.

Does anyone else notice this?

Around the Network

I don't know why it looks different on certain consoles. Oddly enough, Netflix actually looks better on my Wii other than my PS3 even though my PS3 displays in HD. I don't get it.

Some games are streamed in HD. I watched some straight to DVD movies on Netflex in HD and they looked really good, the Wii most likely doesn't have that option I'm assuming. Even a old movie like Insomnia looked gorgeous in HD on my 360. I don't own a Blu-Ray player/PS3 but from what from what I've seen in HD format I have no complaints and the quality is a lot better. I just wish all of Netflex's streaming movies were in HD  - I've even skipped some movies that were only in SD.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:

Some games are streamed in HD. I watched some straight to DVD movies on Netflex in HD and they looked really good, the Wii most likely doesn't have that option I'm assuming. Even a old movie like Insomnia looked gorgeous in HD on my 360. I don't own a Blu-Ray player/PS3 but from what from what I've seen in HD format I have no complaints and the quality is a lot better. I just wish all of Netflex's streaming movies were in HD  - I've even skipped some movies that were only in SD.

It's weird though because I watch a lot of TV series so I might watch an HD episode of Greek on the 360 and then watch another episode of the same series and same season on the PS3 so I have a pretty good comparison.  Same internet connection, same connection type, same TV series, and same season.

twesterm said:

Anyways, now that I finally hooked up my Logitech controller dongle thing to my PS3 Slim, my 360 isn't my only Netflix machine anymore.  Since I use multiple Xbox's at home, I keep my profile and saves on a USB stick.  That means if I feel like watching Netflix and my USB stick happens to be at my other 360, I just use one of my PS3's to watch Netflix.  Yay!

Holy crap man how come you have so many consoles, in one house? (Jealous)! Also why no Wii. Now I have watched on PC, Wii and PS3. Of the two consoles (PS3/Wii) I thought the Wii looked best, but I still think PC beats it. I haven't tried it on 360, I just discontinued my NetFlix service so I can't run into my living room and compare!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I'd like to know the results of the poll, but I can't answer it because I don't know, I don't have netflix, I'm just curious.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

couldn't tell you, i don't have a gold account on my xbox -- but the ps3's netflix is noticibly clearer than the wii's netflix at my place.  it's also easier to use imo.

i wish Australia had netflix =(

It could be because the video display settings are different on both consoles ? If its the PS3 that looks crappy, try turning RBG Mode to "Full" from limited. Works wonders for games too.

Saruk said:

I don't know why it looks different on certain consoles. Oddly enough, Netflix actually looks better on my Wii other than my PS3 even though my PS3 displays in HD. I don't get it.

Simple solution...get some glasses ;)

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.