By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony can make a $200 PS3

How Sony can make a $200 PS3

That makes Perfect Sense! 38 31.67%

Hmm...I don't know.... 82 68.33%

Total:120
Aprisaiden said:

All SONY needs to do is reduce the manufacturing costs so they can do a drop the price to $249 / $299-$349. That would would be plenty to this year and it would help maintain current sales / keep PS3 relatively flat YoY. 

The material engineers at sony have been going at that for years. I would expect that if it really were that clearcut and simple, there would be cheaper PS3's. Companies don't want to pay more for materials either after all.

Around the Network
liu777 said:
Aprisaiden said:

All SONY needs to do is reduce the manufacturing costs so they can do a drop the price to $249 / $299-$349. That would would be plenty to this year and it would help maintain current sales / keep PS3 relatively flat YoY. 

The material engineers at sony have been going at that for years. I would expect that if it really were that clearcut and simple, there would be cheaper PS3's. Companies don't want to pay more for materials either after all.

Of course SONY has been reducing the manufacturing costs, but last time i checked SONY was still working on shrinking the CELL to 32nm, also i don't think the motherboard used in PS3's Slim's has changed since it launched. Either way SONY's last hardware revision was nearly 10 months ago, they have to have another one ready soon if they want to compete on price.

RockMan10 said:
Horrorfest said:

So adopt Microsoft's bullshit strategy? To sell a useless console? The cheap 360 can't even hold Mass Effect 2, you're required to upgrade your HDD.

Or play Halo: reach online.

You mean Halo: Reach co-op (local and online). That's what requires the hard drive. You can play regular online matches without it.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I'll stick to my own HDD...Thank you Sony for that!!

no thanks that flash save is bullshit

the free month thing is okay

160 GB HDD costs <40 USD at retail

Which makes this new SKU idea completly pointless.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Its not Sony's style to make something that's lacking or else they would've done it already.  Sony still chose to lose profit while maintaining free online and keeping what they felt needed in every PS3 all these years rather then to make a dumb-down retarded version to only screw over the costumers later.

It's a good idea, but I don't think it means profit at all.  It will just increase sales and it won't make much profit for them at all.  Plus while PS3 has PSN Plus, they don't have something like Xbox Live where a lot of people buying even the $200 Xbox will likely purchase it.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Aprisaiden said:
liu777 said:
Aprisaiden said:

Of course SONY has been reducing the manufacturing costs, but last time i checked SONY was still working on shrinking the CELL to 32nm, also i don't think the motherboard used in PS3's Slim's has changed since it launched. Either way SONY's last hardware revision was nearly 10 months ago, they have to have another one ready soon if they want to compete on price.

Last I heard, the PS3 has cost about the same, if not more than the Xbox 360 for the last 4 years, and it has had more sales for 2-3 of those years if I remember correctly.  Competing with price is not an issue for them at the moment.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I could be mistaken here, but considering how most all PS3 games require some amount of install, I highly doubt that 4GB or 8GB would be enough to satisfy customers w/out forcing them to pick up an extra HDD.  That sounds like a public relations nightmare etc.  MS can pull it off because of the architecture.  Bluray discs are much larger and as such developers cut down on in game loads by having the installs... messing with load times and such probably isn't a wise idea. 

Additionally, having an "arcade" style unit goes against everything Sony has attempted to structure itself as this generation; a premium home console that can do everything. Is a $200 PS3 possible? For sure, but the sacrifices would have to come from somewhere else.

I'll be f****** mad...

cuz i bought mine for $600 :(