By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Big 3 Gaming Divisions Profits since 2000

Viper1 said:
Mad55 said:
Acevil said:
Grimes said:
DarkintheLight said:

Is this hardware only profits because I know ps2 made a massive amount in software 

Nope, it's everything in the respective gaming divisions, software included.

I don't get people that post like that, where do they think software revenue goes into? Another whole department?

actually i thought it was just hardware as well. it coulda been categorized seperately.

No company separates their hardware and software revenue when reporting to the SEC or investors.  In fact, it would make very little sense to ever do that other than as supplementary info.

Further still, notive that both Sony and MS have attachted their games divisions inside larger divisions to legally "hide" their games only financials.   But it's just Sony and MS doing that as hundreds of large companies do this to reduce investor worry for a financially struggling department.

what im saying is its easy for people to assume its just hardware everyone doesnt know alot about this stuff so when they comment about it people should consider that.

Around the Network
Seece said:
thx1139 said:
ivanpgcs said:

table with more years:

Wow Nintendo

Dont know about Sony and Nintendo, but this chart is incorrect with regards to Microsoft numbers. MS doesnt have profit and loss by segment on MS Investors site for FY2002 when the original Xbox launched.

FY2010 - $679
FY2009 - $108
FY2008 - $497
FY2007 - ($1,926) - Includes $1B set aside for RRoD
FY2006 - ($1,284)
FY2005 - ($485)
FY2004 - ($1,220)
FY2003 - ($1,191)

Some years are off compared to mine, and some are spot on! Bolded are off

I swear MS jig around their numbers xD

Numbers get adjustedrestated over time.  When they change accounting practices for a given year they often adjust past year. So for instance 6/30/2009 was originally reported as 169 then the next year when they reported the 679 they also re-reported the previous year using the same accounting principals as $108.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Seece said:
thx1139 said:
ivanpgcs said:

table with more years:

Wow Nintendo

Dont know about Sony and Nintendo, but this chart is incorrect with regards to Microsoft numbers. MS doesnt have profit and loss by segment on MS Investors site for FY2002 when the original Xbox launched.

FY2010 - $679
FY2009 - $108
FY2008 - $497
FY2007 - ($1,926) - Includes $1B set aside for RRoD
FY2006 - ($1,284)
FY2005 - ($485)
FY2004 - ($1,220)
FY2003 - ($1,191)

Some years are off compared to mine, and some are spot on! Bolded are off

I swear MS jig around their numbers xD

Numbers get adjustedrestated over time.  When they change accounting practices for a given year they often adjust past year. So for instance 6/30/2009 was originally reported as 169 then the next year when they reported the 679 they also re-reported the previous year using the same accounting principals as $108.

What a mess xD, I think I'll adjust then ...

Why was the the latest year for the Wii not very profitable?

Seece,

So the numbers I quoted are from the latest report that includes that year.  So FY2009 was what the FY2010 report said, FY2008 was from FY2008 report, etc.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Some accounting thing they apparently do every 5 years from what some people have told me. I know the trick (roughly), but I didn't know they did it once to account for 5 years. 

Next year should be a good year again. 

Seece said:
morenoingrato said:

Huh? GC was more profitable than PS2?

Really?

No. Try reading the thread or actually thinking for a second, Nintendo had a handheld at the same time, and Nitnendo didn't always outsell Sony, they were pretty much even.

There isn't anything helpful in the thread to explain this phenomenon, and I admit it, I did forget about the GBA, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendo won more per gamecube sold.

Acevil said:
yo_john117 said:

Some accounting thing they apparently do every 5 years from what some people have told me. I know the trick (roughly), but I didn't know they did it once to account for 5 years. 

What is it some massive accounting cost?

I disagree with the notion that Nintendo was aggressive at all with the Wii.  Clearly, the Wii's general success was hoped for, but in no way planned for.  If they had ANY idea that it would have hit this big, they would have had twice the production planned during its first 18 months.  The fact that M$ only admitted to a 5 million goal on the Kinect through the holidays, but actually had 8 million in the channel proves that they learned from Nintendo's mistake and were mostly ready.  I can't call Nintendo smart for what was obviously lightning in a bottle, they could have killed the PS3 and 360 completely had they been ready for it.  The reality is, that no company can plan for such a cultural phenomenon that is/was the Wii.  Just ask Apple about their ipods.  When they came out originally, the same thing happened about 6-7 months after they launched.  The lemmings decided that they had found the standard for mobile music devices and voted with their wallets.

Bottom line :  It can't hurt to be in the right place at the right time!

Acevil said:
yo_john117 said:

Nintendo holds much of its profits in foreign currency. If those currencies do poorly then eventually, Nintedo has to make adjustments to compensate.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.