By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Over-priced DLC (Specifically Call of Duty 1st Strike)

Hey, I didn't know where to put this in threads as this applies to all HD games.

But what is the deal with over-priced DLC? Is this a cash grap developers do in order to make more money, or are these DLC's actually stuff they couldn't make when the game came out?

I beleive DLC's are a cash grab, in the case of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed the developers disbanded at the launch of the game, se we know all the DLC was made before the game was released.

However sometimes it isn't. I think Bioware makes Mass Effect 2 DLC periodic to keep interest in the game until Mass Effect 3 is released, and I think Darth Vader and Yoda in Soul Calibur IV was largely a marketing stunt.

I'm just really annoyed right now because I just bought Black Ops, and I heard about this DLC. I know Bungie charged 800MP ($12 equivalent) for their Noble Map Pack which really only was 3 maps. Black Ops 1st strike DLC is 4 maps and one new Zombie Map mode, so I was thinking that Activision is probably going to charge as much as they could get away with 1200MP ($18 equivalent). I was hoping they would be a bit more reasonable and charge 800MP, but I was right.

This wouldn't be too bad, I can just completly ignore the DLC and enjoy Multiplayer as is right? But what annoys me is that I have to update my game to play online to include the achievements included in this DLC. On PSN this isn't so bad, you get your platnium and who cares about DLC, but on XBL 1,000/1,150 just isn't complete and it doesn't get placed in your completed games list.

I am an achievement w***e, I'll admit. Any game I like I want to get the highest score possible. I have above 1,600/1,750 in Halo 3 and Gears 2, 1,030/1,100 in Lost Odyssey, I've maxed Fallout 3 at 1,550/1,500, and It's likely that I'll max out Mass Effect 2, so long as future DLC permits.

So this really bugs me. I always have problems buying games at $70 new, and now game developers want $30-40 more ontop of that? (WaW DLC cost $35 total)

Even then, this would be bearable, it's Call of Duty after all, but every year there is a new Call of Duty game, and they never make a collectors edition of the old game with all the DLC. WTH! Activision if you guys weren't so greedy I would buy more CoD titles, I loved Modern Warfare 1, and because of your greed, this is my first CoD since! (My friend had MW2 and he lent it to me to be fair).

P.S. Infinity Ward does not attribute Achievements towards DLC, so I love them, but hate how Activision broke them apart from greed. Not sure if I'll get MW3..

So please Stop Buying DLC, it's just a bloody rip off. Get Fallout: New Vegas as a GOTY edition a year late and save $70 and the hassle of a glitched game at launch! Get Gears of War Map Pack bundles after they come out, wait for sales on XBL and PSN for Bioshock DLC among others! Stop supporting a greedy industry, or games are eventually going to cost $100 a peice. If you stop buying the DLC, they won't sell as much and prices will drop! (Hence why it's in sales)

I mean, how the hell are 10 year old kids suppose to afford that? Is gaming now limited to adults?

I hate it, why are developers so greedy?

What are your opinions?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

I rather see more paid DLC  then jacking up the price of a retail game.. cause this gen shows that gaming isn't a healthy business.. it's incredible that not more developers and publishers haven't gone out of business.. if paid DLC fails expect games to sell at 100 dollars plus.. so buy more.. safe our future..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

activision gets enough money from cod alone and i guess they know at a couple of million people would buy the dlc even if it is overpriced.

well as long as idiotic cod roidrage fanboys are alive theyll  buy everything cod related even if that fuckin map pack was $100 for 1 new map theyd still buy that shit (well maybe too much of an overexageration) but activision knows they can take advantage of their loyal cod idiots so they do.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

You see remember how last year MW2 sold 4 new Maps for $15? There was massive outrage about it and IW simply defended the price by saying it was worth it...

It broke XBL and PSN records as the fastest selling piece of DLC.

Even I find it bullshit that IW and now Treyarch are charging big prices for a few maps but it cant be helped when everyone saw the MW2 Map packs sell like hotcakes at a ridiculous price and since Black Ops is going so strong, people will buy the pack for $15 and Activision will rake in all the money. Telling forum members not to support isn't gonna change anything.

If the DLC enhances or extends my fun for the game ie Dragon Age, Mass Effect style DLC, then I shall consider buying it because I know it'll be worth the money I put into it. But if it's just some level pack or a weapon pack or simply a few skins and the devs sell it for $5-10 then that's just bullshit and I dont buy.

I for one don't buy any DLC at all but that's gonna change when Marvel VS Capcom 3. When they announce characters I want for DLC, I will not hesitate to buy them.

Around the Network

DLC like extra levels should always be free, PC gaming has been like this since ages. Even Assassins Creed Brotherhood has free DLCs, I approve of that.

If its not free I ain't getting them.

Free DLCs definitely help to increase a game's longevity, eg. Gears of War 1, it had free DLCs and I loved it so much.

Gears 2 automatically sucked and although I got free DLCs for it(GOTY version), it wasn't worth it at all. But that's a different issue.

CoD is for people who don't care about money. So, the first place where CoD will perish will be the PC.

If a game has pay DLC that adds hours of entertainment I don't mind paying for it.

It should also be noted that games today have more value than past gens regardless if you choose to purchase DLC.

I just hate when games don't feel complete unless you get the DLC. For example Fallout 3 continued the story with DLC, but I feel the story should end with actual game. Dragon Age did the same and whored DLC within the game which was annoying.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

mantlepiecek said:

DLC like extra levels should always be free, PC gaming has been like this since ages. Even Assassins Creed Brotherhood has free DLCs, I approve of that.

Its hard enough to get PC gamers to buy games that aren't dirt cheap in a Steam sale or something like that. So its no surprise they get free DLC.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Some DLC is just too good to pass up. Undead nightmare adds 8 hours of story for 10$. And Zombies to RDR. Then there are the map packs lolololol. KZ maps are only 6 dollars you know i am buying that!

Chroniczaaa said:

well as long as idiotic cod roidrage fanboys are alive theyll  buy everything cod related even if that fuckin map pack was $100 for 1 new map theyd still buy that shit (well maybe too much of an overexageration) but activision knows they can take advantage of their loyal cod idiots so they do.

I wholeheartedly agree with u lol