By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Nintendownsmii said:

One year ago, today, I received a Wii for my birthday. I have noticed something since then. I have last weight. And not just a couple of pounds either.

A year ago I was about 180 lb in a size 8.

Now I'm 125 in a 2. 

No diet no joining a gym no pills the only change is the playing of the Wii. Now to be clear I do not just sit there and twitch my wrists to handle the motion controls. I actually swing my arms as if swinging a sword when playing Zelda, I Actually get up and bowl as if it were a real ball in Wii Sports. In other words I play the Wii the same as if I am actually doing the activity (especially if company is over as guys just love to watch.)

So, am I the preverbial *results not typical, or has anyone else noticed this as well?

Also, a "HA!" to those who one year ago said the Wii was being sold to parents who thought that it was exercise even though it isn't. 

Do you have before and after pics? It would make it into a proper weight loss story
I can't say I've noticed any major weight loss myself, but I sit on the sofa while playing MP3 - and only get up for the boss fights.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network
Vengi said:
Nintendownsmii said:

One year ago, today, I received a Wii for my birthday. I have noticed something since then. I have last weight. And not just a couple of pounds either.

A year ago I was about 180 lb in a size 8.

Now I'm 125 in a 2.

No diet no joining a gym no pills the only change is the playing of the Wii. Now to be clear I do not just sit there and twitch my wrists to handle the motion controls. I actually swing my arms as if swinging a sword when playing Zelda, I Actually get up and bowl as if it were a real ball in Wii Sports. In other words I play the Wii the same as if I am actually doing the activity (especially if company is over as guys just love to watch.)

So, am I the preverbial *results not typical, or has anyone else noticed this as well?

Also, a "HA!" to those who one year ago said the Wii was being sold to parents who thought that it was exercise even though it isn't.

Do you have before and after pics? It would make it into a proper weight loss story
I can't say I've noticed any major weight loss myself, but I sit on the sofa while playing MP3 - and only get up for the boss fights.

I usually hide behind the couch for all boss fights - until they are over and my girlfriend tells me I can come out again. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Nintendownsmii said:

Now I'm 125 in a 2.

No diet no joining a gym no pills the only change is the playing of the Wii. Now to be clear I do not just sit there and twitch my wrists to handle the motion controls. I actually swing my arms as if swinging a sword when playing Zelda, I Actually get up and bowl as if it were a real ball in Wii Sports. In other words I play the Wii the same as if I am actually doing the activity (especially if company is over as guys just love to watch.)

Also, a "HA!" to those who one year ago said the Wii was being sold to parents who thought that it was exercise even though it isn't.

Wii or no Wii, congrats on the weightloss.

Nintendownsmii said:

Now I'm 125 in a 2.

Bullshit. It's impossible. You need 9 kcal to burn 1 g of fat... You claim you've lost almost 30 kg.

9000*30=270000 kcal

let's say you need to spare 210 kcal (1 h on stationary bicycle, 60 km/h) for every 1 hour with Wii. It would take ~1286 hours to burn such amount of fat. Even if you play 4h per day you need 320 days... utter bullshit. Be awere your body isn't keen to burn fat. Nobody can lose 30 kg without diet. Nobody. I need 4 months with diet, workout and cardio twice a day to burn 20 kg.

Often when you start excerising you change your diet (for the better) without really thinking about it.

Also, 210kcal/h on a stationary bike sounds low.

Around the Network
Tetsuo Shima said:
Nintendownsmii said:

Now I'm 125 in a 2.

Bullshit. It's impossible. You need 9 kcal to burn 1 g of fat... You claim you've lost almost 30 kg.

9000*30=270000 kcal

let's say you need to spare 210 kcal (1 h on stationary bicycle, 60 km/h) for every 1 hour with Wii. It would take ~1286 hours to burn such amount of fat. Even if you play 4h per day you need 320 days... utter bullshit. Be awere your body isn't keen to burn fat. Nobody can lose 30 kg without diet. Nobody. I need 4 months with diet, workout and cardio twice a day to burn 20 kg.

Yeah it does sound a bit farfetched, but I just assumed that she had very few carbs in her diet so she was just shedding fat. I dunno

Tetsuo Shima said:
Nintendownsmii said:

Now I'm 125 in a 2.

9000*30=270000 kcal

well i burn 250 Calories in 20mins on the eliptical machine in my gym (or so the machine tells me).  Just throwing that out there cause wii is a very full body workout unlike the stationary bicycle.

and although she said she didn't diet, if wii time is replacing TV time for example, she's probably not snacking as much.  A diet without realizing it.  Same thing happened to me when I was really into wow, i didn't think i was dieting but i lost a ton of weight cause i merely forgot to eat.  Almost let myself become one of those korean kids you hear about dying at the computer. xD

all in all, she lost about 4.5 pounds a month.  That's really quite plausible.  I would like to see some before and after pictures though.   

ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE,

my wife was over 190 several years back
decided she was too fat and cut out coffee and soda

and started exercising "lightly" just a small stepper, a treadmill and a stationary bike...

a year later she was 120...

Wii actually had the opposite effect on me. I gained weaight.  From around 145 lbs last January (I'm 5'10" btw) when I got the thing to around 160 lbs in late May when I sprained my ankle - and to answer your question, yes I sprained it playing Wii (but everyone except my wife believes I sprained it "jogging").

I started out boxing 30 mins every other day with 2.5 lbs wrist weights on each arm.  By the end of May when, like a massive tool I sprained my ankle trying to jump over an object in my living room in between rounds, I was up to 8.5 lbs on each arm (which looked absurd).  I suppose I gained weight because I built muscle and my appetite increased dramatically from all the activity.

In any case, I haven't been able to get back on my routine since the injury

kitler53 said:

all in all, she lost about 4.5 pounds a month. That's really quite plausible. I would like to see some before and after pictures though.

It's extremely difficult to keep such pace for a long period. There won't be any pics. She lies. It's plain and simple. Everyone who has ever tried to lose +10 kg will laugh this topic out. Impossible. Diet is the key. I know more about fat reduction than most of people here.