By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you buy a 3DS without the 3D screen?

Would you buy a 3DS without the 3D screen?

Yes! 3D is a major selling point! 47 50.54%

No! I don't like 3D! 14 15.05%

I don't want a 3DS at all 32 34.41%

Total:93

What's the point of having a 3DS without 3D? That's like Hot Dogs without Dogs. Ahh no, that sounds weird. Forget about that.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

Even if you don't like the 3d, I think there is still plenty in the system to make it worth the 250 dollars:

1. It has powerful console-level graphics in a handheld.

2. It has decent online functionality without the need to pay monthly fees.

3. It will eventually have movie playback functionality.

4. The 3d camera and motion sensors allow for some interesting AG content that comes free with the system and shows promise for future games. 

So yes, while 3d is the main selling point and probably the thing most of us are looking forward too, I do think that there's more to the system than just a 3d screen. I think another version without the 3d screen would just be confusing to customers and would cut into the market of the 3DS.

Buzzi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Buzzi said:
Mr Puggsly said:

For $199? No.

A handheld console isn't worth that to me. Maybe if it had strong online gaming, which it won't.

Why it won't?

I don't think Nintendo is gonna even attempt to deliver an experience similar to Live or PSN.

Another problem, 3DS doesn't have dual joysticks. LAME!!!!!!

It has demos, videos, single friend-code, friend list like PSN (you see wh's online) and an eShop more like Apple than the DSi Shop. Ther'll be also live chat for some games (Pokemon), what more could there be?

I doubt it will be nearly as robust. Hell, i would bet on it. What he means is, getting in a game of mario kart or pokemon by inviting your friend *who is on your list* and then talking over a headset. Plus i agree, not having dual analog sticks is lame.

OT: I would buy it for 199$ with no 3D if we were strictly talking hardware. But the games aren't impressing me yet. 

Can't see 3D so yes i would buy without the 3D-screen

I thought the clue is in the name "3DS" without 3D it wouldn't be what it is, and would be very misleading..

This is how it is in the console/handheld industry:

You either do someting innovative and affordable or you go for power/graphics etc.

Wii vs X360/PS3

3DS vs PSP2

DS vs PSP

Without 3D Nintendo would be breaking their usual trend and just going for power.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
mortono said:

Even if you don't like the 3d, I think there is still plenty in the system to make it worth the 250 dollars:

1. It has powerful console-level graphics in a handheld.

2. It has decent online functionality without the need to pay monthly fees.

3. It will eventually have movie playback functionality.

4. The 3d camera and motion sensors allow for some interesting AG content that comes free with the system and shows promise for future games. 

So yes, while 3d is the main selling point and probably the thing most of us are looking forward too, I do think that there's more to the system than just a 3d screen. I think another version without the 3d screen would just be confusing to customers and would cut into the market of the 3DS.

5. It has Mario.

6. It has Zelda.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

@notstan  NES to SNES was just a power upgrade, so was SNES to N64 and N64 to GC, hell all the gameboys were hardware upgrades

Would I buy a Handheld Wii (DS) without 3D. Yes I would because I like Nintendo's software and with or without 3D I know that the next DS would get alot of good high quality games. That being said I might be reluctant to spend 250$ on a handheld Wii that did not come with 3D. I'd expect such a handheld to launch around 200$ or less.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I don't know how many are aware of this, but the Sharp parallax barrier displays only cost an estimated $10-20 more than the upper display in the DSi.

In time the price difference should be negligible.

So maybe the question should be "Would you pay $240 for a 2DS?"

I can't imagine there would be many takers barring those with one glass eye.

And of course the second question should be "Should Nintendo bother trying to sell a separate SKU that lacks one of the main selling points of the platform to save consumers $10?"

The answer of course, would be "no."

I can't see in 3D (which is a real bummer), so I would buy it. But I might wait for awhile before I buy the 3DS, though. Being the fact that 3D is the big new feature of the handheld, it feels like I'm missing out on it. That's why I'm not nearly as excited for for the 3DS. Maybe once good games start releasing for the system I'll take the plunge, but for now it seems I"m missing out. Do you think I should still buy the system even though I can't use its key feature?

By the way, has anyone heard if the bottom screen will be multi-touch?

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!