By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogamer: NGP/PSP2 will be"affordable" and sold at a loss

Eurogamer psoted two articles today that mention the NGP/PSP2's probable pricing.  First is an interview with SCEE's Andrew House, which includes this quote:

"I can't put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that's appropriate for the handheld gaming space," Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss Andrew House told Eurogamer in Tokyo this morning.

Second is an article with info "from a  source" that also covers issues liek battery life:

NGP pricing is also yet to be revealed, but Eurogamer was told this morning that Sony will "make a loss".

And on top of that, SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida made this little gem in an interview with Game Informer:

“It’s not going to be $599,” he said.

Of course, that's not all he had to say:

While speaking with Sony Computer Entertainment president of worldwide studios Shu Yoshida about the NGP, I asked if he was worried about the problem of pricing, given the powerful (and presumably expensive) technology that's built into the device. He responded by acknowledging that Sony is aware of price being an important issue:

"From the very beginning of the project -- since 2008 -- pricing was one of the considerations that we had. Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value."

Given the specs of this thing, I'd say it'll cost within $100 of the iPhone 4 to manufacture.  Last I heard, the iPhone 4 costs just shy of $200 to produce, though it's sold at an incredible mark-up, putting its retail price at $499 when all is said and done.  Assuming Sony launches this device like all of their previous consoles, as opposed to a high-margin smartphone or .mp3 player, then we can assume it will be sold at a loss, as Eurogamer's source says.

Given this info and the word that there will be multiple SKUs, I'm thinking we'll see a $299 basic model and a $399 model with 3G and more internal memory.  I could see the more expensive model being as low as $349, however, if Sony charges a subscription fee for 3G.

Around the Network

To compete with the 3DS they need to sell it at a loss.

I'm expecting it to retail for about $299.

Anything below $350 is a win in my opinion.  Just look at those specs!  But like snyperdud, I expect it to retail for $300.

dunno001:

"Needless to say, I've never trusted them, or, frankly, any other review source. What I do trust, is what I see with my own eyes and play with my own hands."

Favorite Games of All-Time:

1.  Star Ocean 3   2. Kingdom Hearts:  Birth by Sleep  3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2  4.  Metal Gear Solid 4    5.  Super Mario 3  6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time  7. Uncharted 2

makingmusic476 said:
“It’s not going to be $599,” he said.

$598.  Im calling it now

"Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value."

this makes me think its not going to be the as affordable as i thought

Around the Network

If SCE goes with an iPad price structuring model, something along the lines of the following wouldn't surprise me:

$299 16GB

$349 32GB

$349 16GB/3G

$399 32GB/3G

3G network access $20/month, no contract.

What I don't expect to see is a $199 SKU or anything over $400.

shit i buyin the PSP2 regardless...but like the guy above said anything under 350 is a win

and lol they had to confrim it wasnt 599..lol

I think its going to be $350 - $400 personally. Depends on if they include movie or game content with it really.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Yeah, obviously. Sony is always ready for losses and believes in their hardware, as they should. I just hope that it truly is what I consider "affordable"!

Xen said:

Yeah, obviously. Sony is always ready for losses and believes in their hardware, as they should. I just hope that it truly is what I consider "affordable"!

I think the price will be pretty reasonable.  Look at 2006.  Back then we were hearing nothing but "expensive" and "they'll work two jobs" about the ps3 from Sony.