By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Well, is it 3D vs 3G then?

aoixgp said:

The ever evolving handheld landscape will be visited by two meteors this year. Will the fight for the market by these two familiar rivals be plagued with arguments of 3D vs 3G? What are your thoughts? Will nintendo null the arguments by announcing a 3G 3DS in a year or will Sony someday reveal the "NGP" to be compatible with Sony 3d glasses? Feel free to discuss if there is a bigger contrast to be had.

3G isnt very useful for gaming. Im sure you've surfed the net with a 3G phone. Its slow. Its like a really poor DSL connection. Definitely not sustainable for multiplayer, barely useful for internet browsing. Don't see the reason its added in. Sony is better off going with a Wireless N adapter, so it can be played over fast wifi connections.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
disolitude said:

Anyone with a shed of sanity understands that 3DS is going to outsell the NGP. NGP can throw whatever it wants at 3DS and it won't sell as well because nintendo portable games > everyone elses combined

However I don't care about sales and can't deny the fact that NGP is hella cool spec wise... does it run Linux? :)

Yeah, I've been wondering this myself. If it does. NPG here I come!

Kantor said:
irstupid said:

What i don't get is looking at those amazing specs how it is ONLY 3G. 

Its like saying the PS3 only accepts dial up.  Where the hell is 4G.  I know 4G isn't as wide spread yet, but still should be uses 4G if available and 3G if not. 

Oh and not to mention how will LAG be when using 3G.  Looking up stuff on internet or youtube videos is one thing, but playing a game on 3G.  Call me skeptical, especially ps3 basically games.

Nothing uses 4G yet.

And again, games will not be played using 3G.

4g phones and 4g networks have been around for close to a year now. 

hell a better question is what networks DON'T have 4G.  And i believe isn't it AT@T that is last to jump to 4G and is doing it soon?

3D > 3G. It's more about HD vs 3D I preffer HD to 3D though, but that's just me, I am not getting the hype that 3D is getting in cinemas in particular, I see fuck-all difference and have to pay £3 more than for a standard movie. Let alone £1 for glasses if  you don't have your own. And nowadays all the shitty movies have minimal 3D support, so you end up paying £3 for like 30 seconds of 3D in a film. I don't know if the 3D will be used on 3DS in the similar way to rip off customers, to have a stupid reason to charge extra money but not bring much to the table. <- That is provided the 3DS SW will be more expensive, if it's not then fair enough.

Edit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mario-Kart-3DS-Nintendo/dp/B004JHY3ZI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296328365&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mario-Kart-DS-Nintendo/dp/B000A2R54M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296328417&sr=1-1

Shit. Software IS going up it seems.

DS RRP 29.99

3DS RRP 39.99

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:

3D > 3G. It's more about HD vs 3D I preffer HD to 3D though, but that's just me, I am not getting the hype that 3D is getting in cinemas in particular, I see fuck-all difference and have to pay £3 more than for a standard movie. Let alone £1 for glasses if  you don't have your own. And nowadays all the shitty movies have minimal 3D support, so you end up paying £3 for like 30 seconds of 3D in a film. I don't know if the 3D will be used on 3DS in the similar way to rip off customers, to have a stupid reason to charge extra money but not bring much to the table. <- That is provided the 3DS SW will be more expensive, if it's not then fair enough.

Edit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mario-Kart-3DS-Nintendo/dp/B004JHY3ZI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296328365&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mario-Kart-DS-Nintendo/dp/B000A2R54M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296328417&sr=1-1

DS RRP 29.99

3DS RRP 39.99

is that official prices or again just retailer guessing.

but i see your point.  i like improved visuals over 3D as well.  I HATE the term HD.  But there is 3 reasons i'm getting 3DS. 

• Nintendo has better handheld games.  PSP's were more console games on a handheld
  • Total guess right now, but 3DS will be cheaper.  Though as mentioned I would have loved a 3DS without 3D, which would have lowered its price.  Ha wouldn't be called 3Ds then though.  Nintendo got Lucky.  $250 is my max I go on spending for new hardware.  Any higher and its left up to family christmas gift.  which since getting older they would probably never buy me a new console again. 
  • SIZE.  I can carry around the 3DS in my pocket everyday easily.  Based on it seems same size or smaller than dslite and that i could.  The NGP looks too big.  I'm not sure what size is exactly, but I have friends with PSP (no idea on model) and they are too big to carry around comfortably.   AND DON'T say use a bag.  I'm not going to carry around essentially a purse my hwole life so i can bring a PSP with me.

• Around the Network
    irstupid said:
    NotStan said:

Edit:

DS RRP 29.99

3DS RRP 39.99

is that official prices or again just retailer guessing.

but i see your point.  i like improved visuals over 3D as well.  I HATE the term HD.  But there is 3 reasons i'm getting 3DS.

• Nintendo has better handheld games.  PSP's were more console games on a handheld
  • Total guess right now, but 3DS will be cheaper.  Though as mentioned I would have loved a 3DS without 3D, which would have lowered its price.  Ha wouldn't be called 3Ds then though.  Nintendo got Lucky.  $250 is my max I go on spending for new hardware.  Any higher and its left up to family christmas gift.  which since getting older they would probably never buy me a new console again. 
  • SIZE.  I can carry around the 3DS in my pocket everyday easily.  Based on it seems same size or smaller than dslite and that i could.  The NGP looks too big.  I'm not sure what size is exactly, but I have friends with PSP (no idea on model) and they are too big to carry around comfortably.   AND DON'T say use a bag.  I'm not going to carry around essentially a purse my hwole life so i can bring a PSP with me.

• The 29.99 and 39.99 are the usual prices I think, retail tends to be somewhere in the region of £3-4 under the official price I think.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

aoixgp said:
    MARCUSDJACKSON said:

no its all about the games and thats something both companies can provide.

Correct but these added functions may influence the games. WHich would do so more? Which will be more popular?

good question! it'll be 2 yrs before we know? giving dev's time to understand the tech more.