By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

HappySqurriel said:

Honestly, I don't ever see $10 applications being particularly popular on these handsets; and (unless China, India and Africa buy into these phones rapidly) it will take decades for sales on individual games at these prices to match the revenue of handheld gaming systems.

I know a handful of people working at "shovelware" developers who release games for portable devices and the PC; and (right now) most projects that are exclusive to smart phones are being heavily subsidized in order to create a market, even with how low budget these games are (often a fraction of the development costs of a Nintendo DS game). From what I have been told, most of their games that sell for $0.99 or $1.99 on iTunes are also being sold for $10 to $20 on popcapgames.com or steam; and the number of units sold are similar on both. They have no ability to increase their price because every game they're selling soon has a dozen clones that are free or selling for $0.99 on the iPhone.

You might see the occassional large publisher push a big budget iPhone game at $20, but I'm expecting every last one of those games will disappoint their publisher for the next 5 years (at least).

For many consumers, the games will be good enough. Last generation, the games were bad or non-existant, so it was an obvious choice for the average person what they would buy if they wanted to play a few games in their spare time. This upcoming generation, the games on these new class of devices will be good enough that for many consumers, they simply won't buy a dedicated gaming device.

What this could translate into is slow, stagnant or negative growth for the 3ds/NGS compared to the DS/PSP. Because many consumers on the edges will not buy the systems. Sure you'll have the core, but that is somewhat niche. The core doesn't translate to growth, and without growth I'm not convinced that there will be good profits.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
zgamer5 said:
jarrod said:
hiroko said:

NGP has MH in jp, nuff said

Uh, no it doesn't?  Unless you mean PSP1 playback...

atleast i want psp2 to have MH because i want to play the game, i dont want it for sales.

If you want to play MH, you should probably just get a Wii.  It's not looking like MHP3 is releasing outside Japan...

aha this is when you have it wrong! capcom said it will be downloadble on psp2, so all i have to do is learn is make a japanese psn account and download it!

lol, fair enough!  You'll be able to download MHFU in english too if you want it.

yes :) hopefully it will also get an uplift. a reason im so excited about playing an mh game is that i just saw some psp2 mhp 3rd gameplay and damn the graphics look good, so much better then the psp version. if the next monster hunter comes to the psp2 il be happy because that means great graphics and analog sticks. and if it comes to the 3ds im hoping for great graphics and that my sister will allow me to use it.

The NGP MHP3 demo was the original PSP game, it's the same graphics just running at a higher resolution (like N64 games on Wii's Virtual Console, or PS1 games on PS3).  They also patched in analog camera support though... the whole thing was just to show off PSP playback on NGP.

I think we'll see MH3G on 3DS in 2012, then MHP4 on NGP in 2014-ish...

well according to sonys president all games on the psp got an up lift(is that the higher resolution?) and it looked so much better.

im hoping for that the next mh goes multiplat. or that mhp 3rd gets released on the american psn in english.

Yeah, I think it's just the upped resolution.  They can patch in extra support too, like the 2nd analog camera for MHP3.  This should be true for the PS1 Classics too, though I've heard they'll be using the rear touch panel for R2/L2 buttons.

I don't think the handheld MH games will go multi, since they rely on local multiplayer in Japan and splitting that base would be a bad move.  Home console side though, I think we could definitely see MH4 across PS3, 360 and Wii 2.

i would love mh on home console.  online co-op and split screen co-op would be great. as long as capcom release the next mh in the west il be happy. it has the potential to grow and its already loved by psp pirates.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

I think Sony has figured out a way to really take on the 3DS:

1.)  The 3DS will not have great online features.

-Sony is really making the NGP an all out online machine with 3G and a new PSN on steroids.

2.) The 3DS is $250

-Sony can now make their handheld $300-$350 and still compete with it. 

3.) The 3DS has a 3-5 hour battery life.

-Sony Stated the NGP will be playable for a longer period than most handhelds (Probably 5-7 hours)

4.) 3DS has a great line line-up of N64 and wii era games.

-NGP has a great line up of PS3 and PSP games which are FAR more impressive.  Don't forget how easy they said it was to port from PS3 to NGP.  Expect games to be released on the NGP as well as the PS3 (Both versions will be fairly equal with the possibility of cross platform MP).

5.) The 3DS is sticking to a two-screen system that STILL uses a stylus (Makes one hand not able to use buttons well)

-The NGP has six-axis, and front/back touch controls that allow users to control it while hands stay in place.

6.) The 3DS has 3D without glasses

-The NGP has 5x the resolution of the 3DS with LED backlighting.

7.) The 3DS sounds like another DS except with 3D.

-The NGP (whatever it's final name is) will seem like sound like something entirely new.

Biggest Possible mistake: If the NGP is more than $350 I don't think it will sell that well at first.

P.S. I still think the 3DS will most likely come in first, but Sony will sell far more software than they did before and "lose" by far less a margin than they did before. 

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Burning Typhoon said:

Call of Duty on NGP?

... omg, first off, I hate that name...

But, yeah, I don't play FPS, so, my experience with them hasn't been tainted by over-exposer.  I don't own a single FPS on PS3, and plan to get KZ3 sometime..

But, why does Call of Duty excite me most (more-so than Uncharted) I'm not sure....

I think there may be a tread coming soon where we see games on PS3/360/NGP...  And, also, NGP will hold me over until PS4 comes around (even if it's another 4 years away).

But, me not being the biggest fan of-... oops.. I forgot what I was going to say..  But, I hope there's a way to have more than one hard-copy game with me.  Why not pack a DL code with official hard copies of the games, so I can DL and take some with me.

Also, I hope there will be an option to switch the 3G off... I don't want cancer, I already try to keep a distance from my cellphone...  This thing would be PERFECT, if it had some sort of notepad program for typing/note taking...  But, I'll be the few who wants an NGP, but, for Movies, music, and internet.  I'll hope Megaman Powered Up will be on the store by the time this thing is released, because it's literally the only PSP game I play...  I could go on and on about this thing... I don't even care of the cost..

But, as for the 3DS...

Not interested in 3D, or the battery life.  I've got SSFIV already, and the only game I bought multiple times was Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection... I had it on PS2, PS3, and PSP, and on PS2, I bought it twice...  The only game I'd even consider buying so many times over is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (because I've been doing it already).

But, outside of that.. I don't like Mario, or Link.. Donkey Kong is Okay, but, c'mon, it's going to take more than that.  Outside of that, the only other game I would be interested in playing on 3DS is Megaman Legends 3... But, seeing as how Capcom is going with the NGP, they would want to push all their titles the best way they can on the system... Why not have MML3 on NGP also?

The thing about the two systems I find interesting... In one, you watch the game in 3D, the other, you play in 3D.  So, I think I could pass on the visuals, and the only thing to get me to MvC3 on 3DS, NGP, or PS3, would be the inclusion of Megaman, or Ruby Heart, should they bring it to the 3DS, in reference to the article up last week. (I love my fighters)

But, I have a feeling I wont be buying hand held versions of games I already own (Because, again, I want a portable media station, and it would be complete if I could type on the go.)

So, mark me down for NGP... Now, as for everyone else?...  It depends... Sony would have to reach out to everyone who wants an iPod, or has one, and convience them to switch over.

We shall see, but, I wouldn't expect NGP to pass 3DS before late 2013...

BTW, I would love to see a mirror's edge game on NGP... It better be a mistake that EA wasn't on the list..

EDIT:

Anyone know anything about the space?  I think I'm going to need a minimum of 8GB, but, hoping for even 3x that.

Capcom is bringing 2 new resident evil games to the 3DS, sooo I wouldn't say capcom is fully on board with the NGP.

Burning Typhoon said:

Call of Duty on NGP?

... omg, first off, I hate that name...

But, yeah, I don't play FPS, so, my experience with them hasn't been tainted by over-exposer.  I don't own a single FPS on PS3, and plan to get KZ3 sometime..

But, why does Call of Duty excite me most (more-so than Uncharted) I'm not sure....

I think there may be a tread coming soon where we see games on PS3/360/NGP...  And, also, NGP will hold me over until PS4 comes around (even if it's another 4 years away).

But, me not being the biggest fan of-... oops.. I forgot what I was going to say..  But, I hope there's a way to have more than one hard-copy game with me.  Why not pack a DL code with official hard copies of the games, so I can DL and take some with me.

Also, I hope there will be an option to switch the 3G off... I don't want cancer, I already try to keep a distance from my cellphone...  This thing would be PERFECT, if it had some sort of notepad program for typing/note taking...  But, I'll be the few who wants an NGP, but, for Movies, music, and internet.  I'll hope Megaman Powered Up will be on the store by the time this thing is released, because it's literally the only PSP game I play...  I could go on and on about this thing... I don't even care of the cost..

But, as for the 3DS...

Not interested in 3D, or the battery life.  I've got SSFIV already, and the only game I bought multiple times was Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection... I had it on PS2, PS3, and PSP, and on PS2, I bought it twice...  The only game I'd even consider buying so many times over is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (because I've been doing it already).

But, outside of that.. I don't like Mario, or Link.. Donkey Kong is Okay, but, c'mon, it's going to take more than that.  Outside of that, the only other game I would be interested in playing on 3DS is Megaman Legends 3... But, seeing as how Capcom is going with the NGP, they would want to push all their titles the best way they can on the system... Why not have MML3 on NGP also?

The thing about the two systems I find interesting... In one, you watch the game in 3D, the other, you play in 3D.  So, I think I could pass on the visuals, and the only thing to get me to MvC3 on 3DS, NGP, or PS3, would be the inclusion of Megaman, or Ruby Heart, should they bring it to the 3DS, in reference to the article up last week. (I love my fighters)

But, I have a feeling I wont be buying hand held versions of games I already own (Because, again, I want a portable media station, and it would be complete if I could type on the go.)

So, mark me down for NGP... Now, as for everyone else?...  It depends... Sony would have to reach out to everyone who wants an iPod, or has one, and convience them to switch over.

We shall see, but, I wouldn't expect NGP to pass 3DS before late 2013...

BTW, I would love to see a mirror's edge game on NGP... It better be a mistake that EA wasn't on the list..

EDIT:

Anyone know anything about the space?  I think I'm going to need a minimum of 8GB, but, hoping for even 3x that.

Capcom is bringing 2 new resident evil games to the 3DS, sooo I wouldn't say capcom is fully on board with the NGP.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:

I think Sony has figured out a way to really take on the 3DS:

1.)  The 3DS will not have great online features.

-Sony is really making the NGP an all out online machine with 3G and a new PSN on steroids.

2.) The 3DS is $250

-Sony can now make their handheld $300-$350 and still compete with it. 

3.) The 3DS has a 3-5 hour battery life.

-Sony Stated the NGP will be playable for a longer period than most handhelds (Probably 5-7 hours)

4.) 3DS has a great line line-up of N64 and wii era games.

-NGP has a great line up of PS3 and PSP games which are FAR more impressive.  Don't forget how easy they said it was to port from PS3 to NGP.  Expect games to be released on the NGP as well as the PS3 (Both versions will be fairly equal with the possibility of cross platform MP).

5.) The 3DS is sticking to a two-screen system that STILL uses a stylus (Makes one hand not able to use buttons well)

-The NGP has six-axis, and front/back touch controls that allow users to control it while hands stay in place.

6.) The 3DS has 3D without glasses

-The NGP has 5x the resolution of the 3DS with LED backlighting.

-The NGP (whatever it's final name is) will seem like sound like something entirely new.

Biggest Possible mistake: If the NGP is more than $350 I don't think it will sell that well at first.

P.S. I still think the 3DS will most likely come in first, but Sony will sell far more software than they did before and "lose" by far less a margin than they did before. 

Also:

The NGP has dual analog sticks, COD already announced, PS2 ports possible.

The rear and front touch pads add a lot of new ways of gameplay (Uncharted and Little Deviants demo) and iOS games could appear on the platform

3DS. It has games, a reasonable price point. I have an iphone 4 for what NGP is offering.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Call of Duty support could mean a lot of things. The iPhone has a Call of Duty game FWIW.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Christian973 said:

3DS. It has games, a reasonable price point. I have an iphone 4 for what NGP is offering.

Really?  your iphone 4 can play Killzone3 and LBP2?  I didn't know that.  I might get one if I don't end up paying $1000 for the included phone package.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:

I was kinda with you until this one... but lol, that's pretty much untrue from every angle.