By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So is Reggie confirming some of Nintendo's heaviest hitters arent at launch

Soleron said:
jarrod said:
Kenology said:

It'll give them everyone opportunity to save a mega-hit (such as Mario Kart 3D) for end of the year launch against PSP2.

The Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario trifecta will probably ensure 3DS holds it's own against anything else in Q4 (NGP, iPhone 5, etc).  There's also probably going to be major 3rd party stuff like MGS3D and Layton 5 around then.

The first two Paper Marios never held up system sales. I mean, I love them, it's a great series, but it's appeal is to those who will be early 3DS adopters anyway.

Even if Nintendo plays it right, I think NGP will outsell 3DS in the first Christmas simply because 3DS will take time to build a mass audience like the DS did, while a great number of people who own a PSP or PS3 will jump on this right away. Of course 3DS will do better in the long run as long as it gets the DS 20m titles out.

Nintendo's launching 3DS with Nintendogs 2, that marks a pretty different first step from what they did with DS and more in line with what they did with Wii.  They're catering to both segments upfront (like Wii), and they have heavy 3rd party content that appeals to core audiences... honestly, I think there's a good argument that more PSP owners will probably buy a 3DS than a NGP initially.  And supply alone probably means we'll see orders of magnitude more 3DSes sold than NGPs over the holiday season.

As for Paper Mario 3, the first two games were mid/late cycle releases, not "launch year".  A better comparison would probably be Super Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi 2... they're not so much hardware drivers in and of themselves, but rather strong support games that sell a few million and help flesh out the library.  Actually the holiday 2011 3DS lineup is eerily similar to the holiday 2005 DS lineup: Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and a Mario RPG.  I expect Kid Icarus in the fall will probably also continue selling well over the holiday.

Around the Network

Nintendo don't want to eclipse third party software, like SSFIV, with Mario and Zelda games. Even Nintendogs could get more attention (sales) than third party launch games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

jarrod said:

Honestly, I don't think we'll see a "new" Zelda on 3DS within the next few years.  I'd expect a MM remake and TWW port to probably happen first.

Mario I can see though, but probably not 3D like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy1-2, though we get ports/remakes of those.  NSMB3(D) should be a 2012 game though.  

Miyamoto already confirmed a 3D Mario is in the works and not another NewSuperMarioBros. I made a thread about it back when he said that. He said with the 3DS he can do things with 3D Mario we couldn't possibly do with existing hardware. Such as adding depth to the games enviroments!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer