By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So is Reggie confirming some of Nintendo's heaviest hitters arent at launch

What's Reggie talking about? Mario and Zelda are going to be there day one....

.... on the Virtual Console! <3 <3

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
kingofwale said:

pretty weak launch if true and will be almost as weak of PS3 launch with just Resistence..

and we all know where PS3 is in the console race.

The DS's launch was a fair bit weaker, in point of fact.

Yeah... DS launch was awful, so bad in fact that it actually had a less than 1:1 attach ratio in the US until March 2005 iirc...

For those that don't remember (or blocked it out, lol) we had in the comparable "launch window" (Nov 2004 to Feb 2005)...

• Asphalt Urban GT (Ubisoft)
  • Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega)
  • Madden NFL 2005 (EA Sports)
  • Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
  • Ping Pals (THQ)
  • Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
  • Robots (Vivendi Games)
  • Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
  • Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
  • The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA Games)
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2005 (EA Sports)
  • Wario Ware Touched! (Nintendo)
  • Zoo Keeper (Ignition Entertainment)
...yes, that's it.  For comparison, here's the "launch window" lineup for 3DS in the US we already have confirmed...
  • Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing (Ubisoft)
  • Bust-A-Move Universe (Square Enix)
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Crush 3D (Sega)
  • Dead or Alive Dimensions (Tecmo Koei)
  • Dual Pen Sports (Namco Bandai)
  • LEGO Star Wars III: the Clone Wars (LucasArts)
  • Madden NFL Football (EA Sports)
  • Nintendogs plus Cats (Nintendo)
  • Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami)
  • Raving Rabbids Travel in Time (Ubisoft)
  • Rayman 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)
  • Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
  • Samurai Warriors Chronicles (Tecmo Koei)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
  • Steel Driver (Nintendo)
  • Super Mario Land (Nintendo) Virtual Console
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo) Virtual Console
  • The Sims 3 (EA Games)
  • Thor: God of Thunder (Sega)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Ubisoft)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Ubisoft)

morenoingrato said:

Ok, so that means the launch line-up will rely heavily on SSF4

SHUT UP!

Steel Diver FTW.

Yeah, I think he's referring to new installments of these IPs, not the 3D enhanced older titles that will probably be packed in as freebies anyways or cheap downloads.

superchunk said:

Yeah, I think he's referring to new installments of these IPs, not the 3D enhanced older titles that will probably be packed in as freebies anyways or cheap downloads.

This. I think he means new 3D Mario and 3D Zelda entries.

If they will appear any time in 2011 or 2012 they will be announced at E3 most likely.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
superchunk said:

This. I think he means new 3D Mario and 3D Zelda entries.

If they will appear any time in 2011 or 2012 they will be announced at E3 most likely.

Honestly, I don't think we'll see a "new" Zelda on 3DS within the next few years.  I'd expect a MM remake and TWW port to probably happen first.

Mario I can see though, but probably not 3D like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy1-2, though we get ports/remakes of those.  NSMB3(D) should be a 2012 game though.  

It'll give them every opportunity to save a mega-hit (such as Mario Kart 3D) for the end of the year to launch against the PSP2.

*Edited for clarity.

Kenology said:

It'll give them everyone opportunity to save a mega-hit (such as Mario Kart 3D) for end of the year launch against PSP2.

The Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario trifecta will probably ensure 3DS holds it's own against anything else in Q4 (NGP, iPhone 5, etc).  There's also probably going to be major 3rd party stuff like MGS3D and Layton 5 around then.

jarrod said:
Kenology said:

It'll give them everyone opportunity to save a mega-hit (such as Mario Kart 3D) for end of the year launch against PSP2.

The Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario trifecta will probably ensure 3DS holds it's own against anything else in Q4 (NGP, iPhone 5, etc).  There's also probably going to be major 3rd party stuff like MGS3D and Layton 5 around then.

The first two Paper Marios never held up system sales. I mean, I love them, it's a great series, but it's appeal is to those who will be early 3DS adopters anyway.

Even if Nintendo plays it right, I think NGP will outsell 3DS in the first Christmas simply because 3DS will take time to build a mass audience like the DS did, while a great number of people who own a PSP or PS3 will jump on this right away. Of course 3DS will do better in the long run as long as it gets the DS 20m titles out.

Soleron said:
jarrod said:
Kenology said:

The first two Paper Marios never held up system sales. I mean, I love them, it's a great series, but it's appeal is to those who will be early 3DS adopters anyway.

Even if Nintendo plays it right, I think NGP will outsell 3DS in the first Christmas simply because 3DS will take time to build a mass audience like the DS did, while a great number of people who own a PSP or PS3 will jump on this right away. Of course 3DS will do better in the long run as long as it gets the DS 20m titles out.

By then 3DS will have had time to build momentum, though. If the 3DS were launching in, say, August, your scenario might play out.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.