By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 is now settled - will 2008 be any different?

@Okeydokey

When the wii starts pulling ahead of the X360 they will cut the price to below the wii.

Microsoft made the WII60 term, in order to pull sales away from the ps3, and they want the 360 to be the system for casuals. They will need to make the price cut of $100 next year for all of their models if they are willing to want to pull ahead.

mM
Around the Network

@Yojimbo: The Wii is not selling out in Europe? That depends on which country you're talking about, since it seems to be selling out in UK, France, and maybe in Germany too. Incidentally, those are the biggest markets in Europe, so it's pretty significant!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

carlos710 said:

Since when these games are "impressive" in terms of sales?

Wii is going to sell at least 90% more than this year. So 55m+ is about the minimum for wii, no matter what sony fanboys says.

Did you just call me a Sony fanboy, ard-tard? Why the hell did you exclude a few of the games that I mentioned on that list?

Those games alone may not move a lot of hardware, but combined they sure do have a chance.

@Famine

Dont get too angry at the guy.

mM

there is one thing that is likely to happen i think
and that's that in Other the PS3 will pass the 360 in 2008

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
leo-j said:
@Famine

This thread is about opinions, and a few members have a right to agree and disagree, to concur and add a few of their own opinions, or dissent and add a few of their opinions. Just because the guy can't comprehend the difference between "opinion" and "fact" is not my fault. As a matter of fact, anyone with that kind of thought should be treated with extreme prejudice.

Famine said:

If Sony can make sure for certain that their big guns all release in 2008, then I have reason to believe that PS3 could make a few heads turn. It's an impressive lineup:

• Metal Gear Solid 4
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Killzone 2
  • Haze
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Tekken 6
  • White Knight Story
  • Disgea 3

I don't know if you guys thought the PS3 would cut the price of the PS3, but needless to say, a year after its release and there is a $200 cheaper PS3 on the market. I just wonder if Sony will feel "froggy" and decide to jump on the next price cut.

Still, I think '08 will still be all about the Wii, but I think it may be close next year.

All of these, except perhaps Final Fantasy, were touted by most of the Sony faithful as why the PS3 would be great in 2007.  What makes you think 2008 will be so different.  I'd say it's generally accepted that Final Fantasy isn't a 2008 title.

I'm hoping to get a PS3 in 2008 myself.  The things stopping me right now are:

(1) No PS2 BC on the $400 model. 

(2) $400 is a pretty high price -- the system needs more games that I really want before I'll pay that much (it has 2 or 3 now).

(3) There are tons of good DS and Wii games that I are keeping me very busy.  This makes it harder to justify buying a PS3 in my own mind. 

I'm particularly interested in seeing how the big well-known exclusive franchises do on the PS3.   R&C did terrible, but it didn't bomb as badly as Uncharted.  It seems like the more well known ones will do better.  How much better?  Will MGS 4 break a million units world wide in its launch week?

Famine said:
leo-j said:
@Famine

This thread is about opinions, and a few members have a right to agree and disagree, to concur and add a few of their own opinions, or dissent and add a few of their opinions. Just because the guy can't comprehend the difference between "opinion" and "fact" is not my fault. As a matter of fact, anyone with that kind of thought should be treated with extreme prejudice.

So as a matter of fact, would you bet that Disgaea 3 is going to make the ps3 outsell the Wii?

Please say yes. And please say that you are willing to bet a perma ban here. 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

@Yojimbo

Wii is selling out in the biggest markets in Europe, the Wii is like a disease. Some countries(Italy, Spain) have not caught it yet... but they will. I personally predict a 30% increase in 08, so if 19 mil are sold come end of 07, I believe that maybe 43-45 will be sold year end 08.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

TheBigFatJ said:

All of these, except perhaps Final Fantasy, were touted by most of the Sony faithful as why the PS3 would be great in 2007.  What makes you think 2008 will be so different.  I'd say it's generally accepted that Final Fantasy isn't a 2008 title.

I'm hoping to get a PS3 in 2008 myself.  The things stopping me right now are:

(1) No PS2 BC on the $400 model. 

(2) $400 is a pretty high price -- the system needs more games that I really want before I'll pay that much (it has 2 or 3 now).

(3) There are tons of good DS and Wii games that I are keeping me very busy.  This makes it harder to justify buying a PS3 in my own mind. 

I'm particularly interested in seeing how the big well-known exclusive franchises do on the PS3.   R&C did terrible, but it didn't bomb as badly as Uncharted.  It seems like the more well known ones will do better.  How much better?  Will MGS 4 break a million units world wide in its launch week?

Final Fantasy in 2007? There were a few games from later this year that I thought most certainly would have crossed that 1 million mark by now, but yet, here we are.

While Ratchet and Clank may have faltered, it most certainly isn't that kind of PS3 game that would get mass worldwide cross appeal like the Gran Turismo or MGS series (There is no way MGS4 will only sell about 7-8k in Japan on it's launch day). Like I started that post, "if", if all those games do come out in 2008, then I have no reason to believe as to why Sony won't be capable of moving more hardware. A few of those games on that list could also move a few hardware here and there.

Also, something I forgot to mention, HOME and the Dualshock 3 (Yes, not a game, and it has been already been released in Japan) come out in '08.

Even with lack of backwards compatibility, the PS3 is selling, you can't deny that, and I don't see any reason as to why it should end sales of PS3s as a result.