By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 is now settled - will 2008 be any different?

Momentium and Inertia are the important factors when it comes to system sales over the next 12 months; the momentium these systems have built will prevent them from selling less than 75% of their current sales numbers and inertia will prevent the systems from selling more than 125% of their current sales numbers. This means that, regardless of whether you're talking about the best case or worst case scenerios for any of the consoles, the Wii will continue to build upon its lead and the PS3 and XBox 360 will continue to fall behind.

Around the Network

My prediction for 2008, PS3 sells like hotcakes in Japan compared to 2007 (360 sales fall flat). 360 and PS3 sales gap will narrow further or overtake for North America, Europe PS3 sales will significantly overtake XBox 360 total sales there.

Christmas 2008, PS3 sales starts to beat global sales of the Wii (have been called names for suggesting this with regard to 360 vs PS3 Christmas 2007 sales last year, now people may be a little more open minded).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Let's See... I think the PS3 will pick up steam, helped by GTAIV and MGS4 (and whatever other games I might have missed), and maybe begin to outsell the 360. (though nowhere near xmas #s of course)
The 360 will be steady, a great game selection behind it but no really big EXCLUSIVES (not GTAIV) coming.
The Wii and DS will continue to dominate, with SSBB and MKWII coming out along with Wii Fit, the system will continue to be sold out worldwide.
I doubt the PSP will still be a major player by year's end (except in Japan), unless something REALLY big happens.

I think 2008 will see MS and Sony turn very nasty toward each other as they realize that they're slowing grinding themselves into a stalemate. I expect both companies to aggressively slash prices in a race for 65nm GPUs and 45nm CPUs into 2009. Sony has the software advantage in 2008 while MS has the advantage of profitable hardware.

Meanwhile, Nintendo will be sitting in a corner, laughing their asses off as they continue to roll in money for the forseeable future.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Yes the Wii won 2007 but which company came in second? Sony.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Well, there's not much to say about Nintendo, so...

Microsoft:

Could have had better sales in 2007 if they had done a more substantial price cut. A price cut on the 360 in Europe is much needed, in America not so much but they'll probably do one in both territories in Q1 08.

Sony:

Had a pretty bad 2007 in general, but things got better at the end of the year mainly due to price cuts and PS3's first Christmas in Europe. This was much needed for the PS3. In 2008, they probably can't do any price cuts, so they have to hope for two things:

1- That Microsoft's price cuts don't have much of an impact.
2- That 3rd party games (especially exclusives) don't get significant delays.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

leo-j said:
2008 will likely be the complete opposite for sony in terms of hardware + software sales and releases.

PS3 should easily do DOUBLE of what it did this year.

I expext sony will drop the price as much as $50 on the ps3 for 2008, and bundle LBP with the 80gb as oppposed to motorstorm for $449.99.

PSP hardware should be up next year with another pice cut and new AAA games, and PS2 sales should continue to slow.

As for the wii, Im not sure but I know for sure 2007 was nintendo's best year yet.

dude, what i'm about 2 say is the complete and honest truth!! the biggest game the psp will have in its lifetime will be metal gear solid portable ops 2! (secret agent clank may move okay numbers!) other than that, I think that sony will unleash a psp2. (psp has performed disappointely for a handheld, but it is probably because this was sony's first try at the handheld market, and everybody is used to nintendo handhelds.) i bet that microsoft will anounce the xbox 180 in 7 years. (half the power of 360 7 times more powerful than ps2!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

I think the key for Sony will be a game like LBP. We all know that GT5, MGS4 and FFXIII will come out and sell like hotcakes. But if LBP can come in and draw a whole new crowd of buyers while keeping the attention of the Sony faithful, it could be massive seller. It's visual style makes it attractive for all ages, while its apparent depth and gameplay should keep the hardcore crowd happy. I am very intrigued as to how this game will do.

I am also interested in how KZ2 will do, whether it is all bark or if actually does have the bite to go with it.

Nintendo will roll through 2008, with Mario Kart and SSB:Brawl leading the way. I think in 2009 we could see Wii sales take a bit of a dive, but that is merely speculation. I wonder how FF:CC is going to do. The GC game had pretty solid sales. I think it will have awesome sales in Japan, very good sales in Europe and modest sales in NA. However, I have a feeling that only Japan will see it in 2008.

The 360 is interesting. It still has some top notch potential games coming out, but most of its well known flagship games are out. There is still GoW2 though. I see the PS3 outselling the 360 Worldwide in 2008. I think they will get big advantage in Europe and even more massive lead in Japan. I think they'll definitely narrow the weekly gap in USA, especially when GT5 comes out. The release of the first GT game for the past two generations of gaming were the point where the PSX/PS2 hit a massive sales boom. I expect the same with GT5 and the PS3.

mrstickball said:
It's been an interesting year. We've seen so many momentum shifts between the X360>PS3 and back, to no end.

We've also seen the Wii dominate both the X360 and PS3 by combined numbers x 1.5. But the Wii's marketshare leading of the whole year has dwindled a bit with Christmas here, and the Wii is in short supply.

My opinion of 2008 has been set for quite some time, and I really haven't needed to change my feelings about it:

Nintendo DS: Continued strong sales worldwide, expecially in Europe. Increasing sales in the US where it's been the weakest. Decreased sales YOY vs. last year in Japan due to market penetration nearing maximum.

2008 Sales: 25.0m Units

Playstation Portable: Increasing strength in Japan since the PSP Slim release will continue in 2008. 2008 will be the PSP's best year thus far, but will still languish in software sales. Europe and USA will sell similarly, but sales will grow in Japan.

2008 Sales: 9m Units

Playstation 3: Sales will dip severely due to the current $400 pricetag selling to the maximum amount of consumers by mid year (ala X360 in 2007). Few games will entice consumers to buy, but will become stronger once critical titles launch. Sony continues taking massive profit hits due to hardware still being unprofitable for the year. However, sales in all 3 territories will outstrip 2007 overall.

2008 sales: 8m units.

Nintendo Wii: Had a breakout year this year, and will continue breakneck sales. However, with a true lack of AAA titles catering to Western core users, and an emerging PS3 in Japan, will not see the massive sales increases of 2007. Sales will be up in Europe, but down in the US and Japan. Sales begin to reach peak during Christmas, but will wain afterwards.

2008 sales: 18m units

Xbox 360: Sales will begin strong, but begin to reduce until GTAIV hits. With another $50 pricedrop with GTAIV's launch, sales will begin to strengthen greatly in the west. Japan will see moderate gains vs. 2007, but will be very minimal in the worldwide picture. Sales will be slightly higher overall vs. 2007.

2008 sales: 9.5m units.
the wii has a good amount of AAA titles next year. (more than 2008!!) i think the wii will do the best next year followed by ps3! (360 only has multiplats with ps3 left! one multiplat for sure that won't do better on 360 then ps3 will be gta4!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

My views:

WII:

It will continue to dominate & WII FIT will only REPLENISH the momentum...

End of year sales - 25 Million......so that would be 43 Million LTD

XBOX 360:

In EU & JAP it will literally hit a "brick wall", only UK will somewhat save it in EU...

In NA it will continue to outsell PS3 UNTIL MGS 4 hits PS3..thats when things could change...

End of year sales - 6 Million......22 Million LTD

Playstation 3:

It will TAKE OFF!

With EU at the front (due to GTA IV) YES in EU GTA IV PS3 will OUTSELL 360
GTA IV 1.5:1 & JAP right behind it with DMC4 & WKS & MGS4

NA will dwindle a lot...it is unpredictable..

End of year sales - 9 Million OR 11 Million (IF FFXIII releases)....so 17.5 Million - 19.5 million LTD

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million