By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 is now settled - will 2008 be any different?

2008 will likely be the complete opposite for sony in terms of hardware + software sales and releases.

PS3 should easily do DOUBLE of what it did this year.

I expext sony will drop the price as much as $50 on the ps3 for 2008, and bundle LBP with the 80gb as oppposed to motorstorm for $449.99.

PSP hardware should be up next year with another pice cut and new AAA games, and PS2 sales should continue to slow.

As for the wii, Im not sure but I know for sure 2007 was nintendo's best year yet.

mM
Around the Network

*kicks thread back on track*

X360/PS3:
Next year will be interesting for the PS3 and X360. Last year before the PS3 got a price cut I though Microsoft could simply sit on its early launch momentum. Sony has dropped the price to the point where they are competitive.

Microsoft needs to do...something next year. The 360 is similar enough that it has no unique features to differentiate itself. Meanwhile Sony has Japan and is pulling ahead in Europe. If they really want to boot Sony out of this race, they need to do something NOW and kill Sony's momentum.

The PS3 is cheap enough that Sony can finally compete. They have a few big hitters in store but they too need something that grabs Joe Casual and yells "BUY A PS3!" Otherwise it will be a long time before they catch up to the X360's LTD SKUs sold.

Wii:
Wow, Nintendo's been sold out since launch. Crazy. Better than any system has ever done before. Now 3rd party devs have the time they need to develop good games. Expect the Wii to do even better next year(assuming Nintendo can produce enough to satisfy demand.) A lot of new IPs should emerge, as well.

Microsoft could bottom feed off of Nintendo's short supply by dropping the Arcade to $250. Price isn't Nintendo's limiting factor right now so a price drop wouldn't help. Nintendo needs to predict how much demand will exist this year, not an easy task (but MS and Sony would kill for this position.)

DS:
Prints money. Nintendo doesn't have to do anything next year, the PSP is not a threat.

PSP:
Why doesn't software sell on this? The price of convergent products I guess. The jack-of-all-trades is still a master of none. Expect a few PS1/PS2 ports but not much else otherwise.

Wheee, I'll be quote shredded soon.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

This year was nintendomination?

Geez.. then we need to figure out a new word next year i guess... ;)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

ps3 will dominate 2008

It's been an interesting year. We've seen so many momentum shifts between the X360>PS3 and back, to no end.

We've also seen the Wii dominate both the X360 and PS3 by combined numbers x 1.5. But the Wii's marketshare leading of the whole year has dwindled a bit with Christmas here, and the Wii is in short supply.

My opinion of 2008 has been set for quite some time, and I really haven't needed to change my feelings about it:

Nintendo DS: Continued strong sales worldwide, expecially in Europe. Increasing sales in the US where it's been the weakest. Decreased sales YOY vs. last year in Japan due to market penetration nearing maximum.

2008 Sales: 25.0m Units

Playstation Portable: Increasing strength in Japan since the PSP Slim release will continue in 2008. 2008 will be the PSP's best year thus far, but will still languish in software sales. Europe and USA will sell similarly, but sales will grow in Japan.

2008 Sales: 9m Units

Playstation 3: Sales will dip severely due to the current $400 pricetag selling to the maximum amount of consumers by mid year (ala X360 in 2007). Few games will entice consumers to buy, but will become stronger once critical titles launch. Sony continues taking massive profit hits due to hardware still being unprofitable for the year. However, sales in all 3 territories will outstrip 2007 overall.

2008 sales: 8m units.

Nintendo Wii: Had a breakout year this year, and will continue breakneck sales. However, with a true lack of AAA titles catering to Western core users, and an emerging PS3 in Japan, will not see the massive sales increases of 2007. Sales will be up in Europe, but down in the US and Japan. Sales begin to reach peak during Christmas, but will wain afterwards.

2008 sales: 18m units

Xbox 360: Sales will begin strong, but begin to reduce until GTAIV hits. With another $50 pricedrop with GTAIV's launch, sales will begin to strengthen greatly in the west. Japan will see moderate gains vs. 2007, but will be very minimal in the worldwide picture. Sales will be slightly higher overall vs. 2007.

2008 sales: 9.5m units.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

nintendo probably will win next year again

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

2008 will be fierce.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

stickball, i couldn't agree less with your analysis on the wii.

the 2 biggest games (SSBB+MK) have yet to be released, plus the madness itself that is called wiifit. It'll only be bigger..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

My predictions:
The PS3 will beat 360 in 08

The Wii will continue to sell more than it's competition, but will stop selling out in stores by September Will have sold more than N64 by the end of 08

MGS4 will have a small, but signifigant impact on PS3, but will flop in Japan

Devil May Cry 4 will not be a systemseller

Only the hardcore PS3 fans will care about Little Big Planet

When you add the week one sales of SSBB from all territories the game will have sold 2.5 million(unless there is a shortage)

Mario Kart will be delayed until fall 08

Wii Fit will have moderate sales in America and Europe

The 360 version of GTA4 will outsell the PS3 version 3:1

Wii --

Will maintain sales and level off with their current unprecedented levels. Will see a remarkable rise in software sales and total number of titles, including quite a few new names and long establish 3rd party IP's. Haters will say, damn. 37-41m by years end.

360 --

Will maintain overall yearly sales due to some new big hits like GTA4. Will see some continued big name shooters and try really hard to gain a better foothold in Japan. Will start to see a much higher percentage of shared titles with Wii. 21-25m by years end.

PS3 --

Will see a higher average sales per month than 2007 and it finally has a decent library of games and a much more digestible price tag. It will gain a lot of market share as compared to the 360 due to primarily to Japan and secondly Europe, where it will have its biggest sales difference compared to 2007. It will still trail behind the Wii in average monthly sales and due to its lackluster first year will see a loss in software titles to Wii/360. GTA4 will sale higher on 360 and PS3 will NOT catch the 360 in WW sales in 2008. 17-21m by years end.

I don't really care about hand helds. But, I see the PSP starting to level off and sell less in 2008 than 2007. The DS will remain untouched and keep on par with 2007 sales.