By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 is now settled - will 2008 be any different?

Hey davygee .. nice to see you back ;) I overall agree with those predictions , especially withe the 360 . Yep , it will start to decline , and from that point it will only go lower and lower . It will do batter than the first Xbox , but not that great ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I see no reason for any of the consoles selling less in 2008 than in 2007. And that goes for all regions.

2008 will be different, I just don't know how different. Time will show, off to the john now!!

LeeAdama said:
My thought is that PS3 will gain ground on the other two systems, but not anywhere near enough to pass one or the other in America in '08.

for ps3 to gain ground on Wii, it has to sell more than the Wii...Do you REALLY think ps3 will sell 2mil+/month in 2008?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

@shams : you have to consider that 2007 could not have been a more terrible year for the ps3, so much things were wrong :

#price : at $200 more than the nearest competitor, there is big trouble
#online : at launch, many functionnalities have been missing. It's so much better now, but still need a handful of key feature that may by delivered S1 08
#games : terrible bombing with Lair. Lukewarm reception of motorstorm (comparing to its true potential of course) due to lack of content. Heavenly sword not praised due to game length. Only ratchet & Uncharted managed to drive up the ps3 lineup. Terrible ports too. Madden, Orange box, etc. many games got delayed
#constant stream of exclusive losses : DMC4, assassin's creed, Fatal Inertia, Bladestorm, and a few others.
# competition : 360 had excellent games and better pricing with lead start
# PR : many PR fiasco.
# Bad press: relentless bad press in many major site and doom and gloom stories all over the net.

Those are what i think would push ps3 a lot :

# another price cut : $400 is still a lot of money and is not "instant purchase" friendly. a $50 price cut or better $100 would make it so much more attractive (the initial price of ps2 by the way!)

#slim model : it's quite sexy on photo, but when you see it it's big. a slim model woudl make it so much sexier and also less expensive to produce

#hammer an "impossible to do on 360" game to quite the doubters. UNcharted began, but not in the most familiar genre in US right now, the FPS. Either Resistance 2 or KillZone 2, but Sony better check before unveiling that it can deal a knockout punch.

# colors : what about a red ferrari ps3 bundled with GT5 ?

# ads : spare no expenses, momentum is crucial.

# New controller method with eyetoy : what about those video recognition ?

# Develop the casual market / educational games : you can't leave the door wide open for Nintendo.

If they follow those, i guess ps3 will sell a lot.

So if only after a year, with all those problems, it managed to go up to 360 sales on a ww level, then it has to at least sell 1,5x in 08, otherwise i have high doubts ps3 will ever pick up (by picking up i mean in a ps2 way).

Around the Network

@ Shams

But the single word, that can be used to describe 2007 accurately: Nintendomination.

IMO you can't have "Nintendodomination" when 360 + PS2 + PS3 sales for the home console market are significantly larger in terms of total hardware sales and especially considering the huge gap in software sales.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ Shams

But the single word, that can be used to describe 2007 accurately: Nintendomination.

IMO you can't have "Nintendodomination" when 360 + PS2 + PS3 sales for the home console market are significantly larger in terms of total hardware sales and especially considering the huge gap in software sales.

What a convenient definition.  So the Wii has to outperform both its current-gen competition AND the previous generation of competiiton to dominate?  And I suppose you won't allow DS and PSP numbers to factor in, because after all, consoles and handhelds don't compete in the same market (and that would give Nintendo a huge edge anyway).  Nevermind that the whole market inludes both handhelds and consoles, facts can't be allowed to get in the way of opinion.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

@ Sky Render

current-gen competition

According to VGChartz the PS2 outsold the 360 for the week which ended on the 22nd of December, IMO the PS2 is current gen hardware.

And I suppose you won't allow DS and PSP numbers to factor in

No the handhelds IMO are more rivals of cellphone and PDA gaming rather than home console gaming. Specs wise the Wii is much closer to the PS2 than to the PS3 and I think for the long run with people moving towards HDTV and 5.1/7.1 audio equipment this will hurt the platform.

I don't think the Wii is even in much a direct competition with the PS3... The two systems don't have much software overlap, so owning both platforms wouldn't be strange at all (and where they do with regard to more complex games a PS3 version would likely be the better choice).

The PS2 and Wii are IMO of less relevance with regard to future games I like to play, this for different reasons. The PS2 will continue to do well in 2008, but after this I think the platform will fade away. The Wii also isn't powerful enough to do the games I love to play, Super Stardust HD just has too much going on at once for it to handle, multiplatform games I am interested in won't do very well on the platform as the platform is dominated by small kids and females, the guys (aged 16-40) owning the system likely own a PC, 360 or PS3 as well and it just makes more sense to buy a BioShock, Oblivion or Unreal Tournament for much higher specced systems.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Wii-mote games like Wii Sports with my kid sister, but there's no chance for the console to be my main gaming system and I think most guys feel the same way. Also IMO Wii games so far look pretty crap on especially HDTVs, the HDTV market penetration is on the uprise and is of importance to me.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

If handhelds aren't in the same market as consoles, then why do they get so many of the cross-platform games? Why are there so many full-featured games that are actually getting ported from handheld to console (both PSP GTA games, HM: Innocent Life, etc.)? Why are several series jumping to handheld exclusives for mainstay titles (DQ9, Tales, etc.)? Just because most people who own a handheld also own a console doesn't mean that the two markets are different or don't affect one another. Perhaps they are different for a die-hard gamer, but for Average Joe gamers, there's no significant split between them.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

@ Sky Render

Look a PS3 you won't take with you while travelling from A to B and there are much different expectations.

For the PS3 I expect excellent HDTV graphics and good surround audio, for our two Nintendo DS handhelds I am already satisified with 80's style 2D graphics combined with stereo sound. More important than sucking me into the game experience (actually I wouldn't want this to happen too much, as for instance thiefts could easily take advantage of such a situation) and dazzling me with awesomeness are actually factors like battery life and form factor!

The PSP is very highly specced for a handheld game system (similar to the PS2!) that's why it makes sense to port over PS2-style games onto the platform.

Many Amiga and arcade classics from the distant past are making their way onto the Nintendo DS as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales