By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 is now settled - will 2008 be any different?

PSP - Has got some REALLY bad Software sales. After GOW:CoO, FFVII etç devs will abandon it like they did with the Gamecube (that means u mostly get EA, Ubisoft, Activision stuff with some nice games in between + the Sony games).

DS - A little slower than 2007 but still easily the biggest (hmmm... Or will it be Wii?).. Nintendo about DS: 'Keep printin' money B*atch!

PS3 - Will have a better year this time than 2007. 2007 actually wasn't that bad. Some nice games coming out, will still do fine but won't meet the sales the PS3 fans have been waiting for (a.k.a struggle to get a million).

Wii - Super smash bros is gonna be big. Will outsell the Cube version, eventually. WiiFit will sell out during its first 2-3 months and in the holiday season. So will the Wii (at some point in the Spring-Summer it will be available, Christmas 08 is same as this one but with bigger stock). Mario Kart will (aah, look at SSB:B) = outsell Cubeversion = bigger than 6 million.

Super Mario Galaxy and M&S have legs throughout the year. RE:UC will reach 1.2-1.4 mil and then stop selling. RE:4 will continue it's spree and will eventually outsell the Cube and PS2 version.

GH3 will be a 2 million seller on the Wii, eventually.

Red Steel 2 will be released (with online)

New Wii IP by Nintendo. (Maybe Retro).

Nintendo Wii will have 33 million sold by end of 2008.

Nintendo DS will be at 80 mil.

Massive Wii support (More GOOD Wii 3th party games).

X360: Same as last year, still some nice exclusives left! PS3 = X360 or PS3 is a little bigger then X360 in 2008.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Nintendo Wii will have 33 million sold by end of 2008.

Higher

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I think people need to take into the calculation some basic environment setups. The current prices in Europe was made for a exchange rate of1€ = 1.25 $. The dollar has fallen, and the reasons for that will continue exists. So the next prices will be done for 1€ = 1.40$ or higher. So if there will be price drops, Europe will get the bigger ones. Just an example for the Wii:

249$ = 177.85€ Now calculate in VAT and higher price (20-25%): 216.98.€
399$ = 285 € --> 347.7 € at retailers. (349€ for a PS3, nice :o))

Same goes for MS. So the prices should drop faster in Europe, Australia, Japan than in the US. And if gaming gets cheaper, more people will buy in.

(All of the hardware should be produced in China. Since the Chinese currency is more or less bundled to the $, you can effectively do as if it is produced in the US in matter of exchange rate).

In simpler words: Others will get more important than now in matter of consoles and games sold . And that fact is in Sony's and Nintendo's favor, since the MS is struggling outside the U.S and CA.

Can someone please explain to me how the Wii is going to outsell the DS next year?

I see atleast 3-4 people saying things like this. I just don't see how it's possible.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Ps3 will take off in a big way, alongide HDTV and blu-ray.
GT5P, Littlebigplanet, KZ2, MGS4 will be to difficult to handle for the competition.

I'm positive it will wipe the floor in US.
First it will eliminate or maginalize 360 from the HD market
Secondly, it will pick up and bite heavily in wii sales as it will become more and more apparent that wii is not that good in quality/price.

the wii succeeded and will succeed again due to 1 game that started it all (wii sport) and will continue with wiifit (that looks much more interesting and has huge potential).

Now, Sony should compete on this segment but they will be able to do so only when they have a significant marketshare in HD console war.

MS is too hardcore branded to fight with the wii on casual. it's a lost battle.

Only Sony can take down the wii.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Can someone please explain to me how the Wii is going to outsell the DS next year?

I see atleast 3-4 people saying things like this. I just don't see how it's possible.

Its not possible Nintendo manufactures 800,000 more DS's a month an they do Wii's. I just don't see how its possible, especially with DQIX hitting Japan next year.

natureman3 said:

MS is too hardcore branded to fight with the wii on casual. it's a lost battle.

Only Sony can take down the wii.

Only the PS2 can take down the Wii - what happened to those motion controlled games anyway? Did they ever get released?

I have to wonder if Sony has something up their sleeves next year - a new control system, or something like that.

I personally wouldn't complain if Ninty released a souped-up Wii NOW - something that could run PS3/360 software (natively), yet operate with a Wiimote.

Playing RE5 in high-definition - with a Wiimote... Mmmmm... (I doubt there would be many people on this site that would complain about that!).

As a side note - if Ninty DID release a pricey "Wii II" - basically in line with PS3/360 specs - would any of the PS3 fans / Wii-haters switch over to it? Or is it more a philosophical dislike, than a practical one? Or do you just hate the Wiimote?

(aimed at no one in particular - just thinking aloud... )

It might seen crazy, but Ninty potentially COULD release a Wii II NOW - solve some of their manufacturing issues, as it would have a much higher margin - and need less units sold. They couldn't afford to develop software for it though - they would need 3rd-party devs to do that (i.e. X-platform titles). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@ shams

Only the PS2 can take down the Wii

I would think more along the lines of a Slimline PS3, which may not happen in 2008, maybe more likely in 2009 with the PS2 getting retired.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

mrstickball said:

Wont outsell the DS LTD by next year, but will probably sell more than the DS did in its second year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

IF PS3 will have 11 mln. by the end of Macrh 2008.
Then they will probably have 22 mln. by the end of 2008. And 24-25 mln. IF FFXIII will be reelased worldwide.

Anyway, 2008 - is 100% positive year for PS3, EVERYONE, ALL MEDIA WILL SAY: "GET THE PS3 - IT`S A BEST HD GAMING EXPERIENCE YOU CAN GET TODAY".
GT5 - will really effect sales worldwide, also min. 2 mln. copies first week. The effect can be even bigger.
MGS4 - will do over 500k on all regions, or 1,5 mln. in first week.
LBP - is pretty uknown game, how people will react to it.. it can bomb in sales or be just a system seller.
GTA4 - this game also unpredictable, M$ has 2 exclusive contents, BUT many people started playing GTA on PS.
KZ2 - may have a geow effect. FIRST CINEMA-LIKE GAME could blow everything. 4 mln. worldwide in first month.
WKS should reach 500k wordlwide in first month.
Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 - proved titles, could also do 2 mln. in first month.
Well about other games, time will show.

But, 2008 will be ONE of the BEST PS3 years, IF not, PS3 FAILED.
So, expect GREAT sales for PS3, and don`t understimate the power of PS3 or you will just FAIL =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far