By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Oh, one more thing:

Dance Central 1,540,000
Kinect userbase 7,766,015

compared to 

Rock Band 3 1,090,000
360/PS3/Wii/DS combined userbase

Around the Network

Gotta love it. 360 fans call it a win and a #2 place (wasn't there someone even predicting a #2 placing for 360? nice!). PS3 fans call it a tie (can't lose.. not to the 360!). There might be adjustments; there surely is a margin of error, but check out the software sales - kinect destroyed again.  Give credit where credit is due.  It was a terrific week for 360 and its software.  The fact that ps3 had to be down yoy in order for the 360 to get 2nd place shows alot about the dominance of ps3 last year (prior to kinect).  PS3 had it last year, 360 has it this year. And by it, I mean 2nd.. damn you Wii! Y U SO GOOD!?!?

Darth Tigris said:

Oh, one more thing:

Dance Central 1,540,000

compared to 

Rock Band 3 1,090,000

Not to bug you or anything, but how many games are avaliable for Kinect against those for PSWii36S?

Less games=Higher attach rate

See: Red Steel 2 vs. Red Steel 1

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Darth Tigris said:

Oh, one more thing:

Dance Central 1,540,000

compared to 

Rock Band 3 1,090,000

Why did you have to show me this?  It's makes me sad :(

RB is the only game I play practically every day.

Still happy for Harmonix with DC sales though.

Uberkiffer said:

Gotta love it. 360 fans call it a win and a #2 place (wasn't there someone even predicting a #2 placing for 360? nice!). PS3 fans call it a tie (can't lose.. not to the 360!). There might be adjustments; there surely is a margin of error, but check out the software sales - kinect destroyed again.  Give credit where credit is due.  It was a terrific week for 360 and its software.  The fact that ps3 had to be down yoy in order for the 360 to get 2nd place shows alot about the dominance of ps3 last year (prior to kinect).  PS3 had it last year, 360 has it this year. And by it, I mean 2nd.. damn you Wii! Y U SO GOOD!?!?

I dunno. Maybe because people LOVE Nintendo games this gen?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
huaxiong90 said:
daroamer said:
A203D said:
huaxiong90 said:

Those PS3 numbers in the states...it's the one missing key from ensuring second place in weekly sales.

Still, overall it's a tie, and I'm happy for every console.

What could Sony do?? they dont have half a billion to spend like Microsoft did. at least PS3 is competively doing well despite the price and marketing advantages of the other 2 home consoles.

So now Sony is the little company that could?

Gotta love it!

While I know that comment wasn't aimed at me (I hope at least ), I'm not sure I understood what you meant.

He's saying that it's great that Sony went from making so many mistakes with the PS3 and beling plagued by bad press when the PS3 was first launched to being most successful 3rd place console in console history with software support that rivals if not exceed its competitors.  Very logical and reasonable.

Even though I'm sure you're being sarcastic I wanted to point out that's exactly not what I meant.

Sony's poor decisions this gen are in no way related to Microsoft marketing budgets.

Going from 1st to 3rd in one generation is not success no matter how much you want to spin it.

I agree.  The PS3 has always been in third this entire gen world wide.  But it is quite impressive that it's been outselling the Xbox 360 for the past two years in a roll now despite the Xbox 360's year head start.  Microsoft really had to pull out all the stop in 2010 (Halo Reach, slim model, Kinect) to really keep up.  It might not have surpassed the PS3 last year, but they were closer than the year before.

A203D said:
huaxiong90 said:

Those PS3 numbers in the states...it's the one missing key from ensuring second place in weekly sales.

What could Sony do?? they dont have half a billion to spend like Microsoft did. at least PS3 is competively doing well despite the price and marketing advantages of the other 2 home consoles.

MS didn't advertise that much more than Sony did during the holidays in America.

The problem for Sony is that Move is too much of the same thing, Wii control clone, so it didn't capture the mindshare of the public. Kinect, OTOH, has caught on like wildfire.

Sony is now in a very difficult position in America. I am not sure there is anyway Sony can get the momentum back in North America this generation. It might be time for them to start thinking about their North American strategy for PS4.

Darth Tigris said:

Oh, one more thing:

Dance Central 1,540,000

compared to 

Rock Band 3 1,090,000

I guess its pretty safe to say that Dance Central is a huge hit...depending on how successful KINECT is over the next year or two I think its a possibility for Dance Central to sell 4-5 million.

A sequel is almost a guarantee at this point. 

Oh and Rock Band 3 deserves to sell millions more because its the best Rhythm game out. 

Darth Tigris said:

daroamer said:

Sony is a HUGE company.  When they came into the console industry it was seen as unfair because how could small companies like Nintendo and Sega compete with one of the biggest electronic companies in the world?  In the end Sega couldn't compete financially and Nintendo only managed by being able to remain profitable even when Playstation 1 and 2 stomped all over them in terms of sales.

Microsoft on the other hand was laughed at when they tried to enter the console market with the original Xbox.  The prevailing sense was that they could never compete with Sony.

Now you have people trying to portray Sony as the poor little underdog to the big bully Microsoft.  What a load of crap.

Between this and your subsequent response to LivingMetal, you are on FIRE in this thread!

Oh, my.  Darth...  You specifically called me out.  I didn't know I was so worth it to you.  Thanks a lot, man.  I knew I was doing right, but it's always icing on the cake when you're recognized for for just going what's naturally correct.  I own you one, pal.

LivingMetal said:
daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
huaxiong90 said:
daroamer said:
A203D said:
huaxiong90 said:

So now Sony is the little company that could?

Gotta love it!

While I know that comment wasn't aimed at me (I hope at least ), I'm not sure I understood what you meant.

He's saying that it's great that Sony went from making so many mistakes with the PS3 and beling plagued by bad press when the PS3 was first launched to being most successful 3rd place console in console history with software support that rivals if not exceed its competitors.  Very logical and reasonable.

Even though I'm sure you're being sarcastic I wanted to point out that's exactly not what I meant.

Sony's poor decisions this gen are in no way related to Microsoft marketing budgets.

Going from 1st to 3rd in one generation is not success no matter how much you want to spin it.

I agree.  The PS3 has always been in third this entire gen world wide.  But it is quite impresive that it's been outselling the Xbox 360 for the past two years in a roll now despite the Xbox 360's year head start.  Microsoft really had to pull out all the stop in 2010 (Halo Reach, slim model, Kinect) to really keep up.  It might not have surpassed the PS3 last year, but they were closer than the year before.

Can you recall what happened 2 years ago that finally caused the PS3 to start outselling the Xbox?

Hint: Slim model & price cut